GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470 Auto-Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 02:39 PM
pink
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX 470 Auto-Switch

Hi, I am fairly new on this site. Maybe some one can help me. I am having trouble with my A/C. I am sure the problem is the Auto switch which is on the left of controll panel next to temp. up-down. My question is do I have the replace all switches or just the Auto-switch alone, and how can I get this front panel off. I don't want to break anything. There must be some kind of trick to it. Thanks for any help. It's a 2003.
Walter

Last edited by pink; 03-23-12 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 07:10 AM
pink
Driver School Candidate

Maybe this would help. I need to remove the trim panel, which I have no idea how to do without breaking it.; It's the Auto switch that I have to replace or clean. Thanks for any help. Looks like the panel that I have to pull off is the whole thing. From radio up to nav it's one piece. Could it be possible just to slide that switch out somehow?

Old 03-24-12, 08:28 AM
Bob GX
Driver

Sewell Lexus is a supporter of this forum and they have a fantastic online parts catalog that shows parts breakdown for every part on our cars. The link below shows an illustration & list of parts for the area you asked about - looks like there are separate parts you can order for the Auto button, the light inside the button, and the control that goes behind the button. Take a look - let us know what you think. I don't know how you determined the exact part that is the problem - some of the parts get pretty expensive to replace on a trial basis to see if the problem goes away. But if you're sure, this should give you the info to order what you want. If you register with Sewell as a member of this forum, it will show special pricing they do for us. I've always had excellent service from them

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2004.html
Old 03-24-12, 08:58 AM
pink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bob GX
Sewell Lexus is a supporter of this forum and they have a fantastic online parts catalog that shows parts breakdown for every part on our cars. The link below shows an illustration & list of parts for the area you asked about - looks like there are separate parts you can order for the Auto button, the light inside the button, and the control that goes behind the button. Take a look - let us know what you think. I don't know how you determined the exact part that is the problem - some of the parts get pretty expensive to replace on a trial basis to see if the problem goes away. But if you're sure, this should give you the info to order what you want. If you register with Sewell as a member of this forum, it will show special pricing they do for us. I've always had excellent service from them

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2004.html
I do thank you for your response. Now I just have to get that molding off.
Old 03-24-12, 10:31 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would help to know what the problem you are experiancing is. i have found the gx AC to be kind of strange. you might be experiancing a quirk of the system.
Old 03-24-12, 10:40 AM
pink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlairC
it would help to know what the problem you are experiancing is. i have found the gx AC to be kind of strange. you might be experiancing a quirk of the system.
What happens is that the A/C blows hot, but when I flick that switch real hard with my finger A/C comes on. Sometimes it works for a while and then hot again. Flick it again a few times and A/C working. My middlefingers is in pain.
Old 03-24-12, 07:24 PM
Bob GX
Driver

pink
Have you found the threads that describe how to remove the center console/dash? You have to start down on the gearshift console & work your way up. The entire piece with the Nav screen & all those buttons comes off as an assembly, and then you can get at the various switches, etc from the back. I can post a link if you need it - let me know. There's a really knowledgable guy on here - mann777 - you should PM him & see what he thinks, he often gives troubleshooting steps, and seems to know if there's been a TSIB on a problem. Maybe yours is a problem he's seen before.
Bob
Old 03-24-12, 08:27 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

This is from the dvd overide post, but it shows you how to get to your switch.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-pictures.html

Most of the time it is the clutch or relay on the a/c compressor that is not engauging in the front of the engine, and not the auto switch. Hopefully mann777 or someone else will share their knowledge. Do a search on ac problems, or ac relay, then click advanced search. Make sure you click on the GX470 model, or your search will include all models.

I see you have nav. What happens when you hit the "climate" button, and lower the temperature, will the ac come on this way, or only when you bang on the auto button. Seems to me if it were only the button, the ac should come on through the nav screen, when you lower the temperature.
Old 03-25-12, 07:41 AM
pink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ancient
This is from the dvd overide post, but it shows you how to get to your switch.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-pictures.html

Most of the time it is the clutch or relay on the a/c compressor that is not engauging in the front of the engine, and not the auto switch. Hopefully mann777 or someone else will share their knowledge. Do a search on ac problems, or ac relay, then click advanced search. Make sure you click on the GX470 model, or your search will include all models.

I see you have nav. What happens when you hit the "climate" button, and lower the temperature, will the ac come on this way, or only when you bang on the auto button. Seems to me if it were only the button, the ac should come on through the nav screen, when you lower the temperature.
First of all I'd like to thank you all for your help. The A/C on the nav starts blinking on and off and I get a message A/C needs servicing. I snap that auto button a few times and everything is working fine, for a while. I would like to fix this myself if I can, because money is a little thight the last few years, I don't have it like I used to.

Last edited by pink; 03-25-12 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-25-12, 12:02 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

I am 90% positive, it is not the switch. Hopefully you can run a search or mann777 can answer with the relay or some other part.

I FOUND TWO POSTS FOR YOU!!!!! You need to read the whole posts, regarding which relay might be bad.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...g-message.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...code-24-a.html

Last edited by Ancient; 03-25-12 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-26-12, 08:24 AM
pink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ancient
I am 90% positive, it is not the switch. Hopefully you can run a search or mann777 can answer with the relay or some other part.

I FOUND TWO POSTS FOR YOU!!!!! You need to read the whole posts, regarding which relay might be bad.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...g-message.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...code-24-a.html
Thanks, I am going to replace the relay first and see what happens. You've been a great help.
Old 03-30-12, 04:26 PM
pink
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone here. You where a great help. Special thanks to Mann777. Replaced relay and it's working just fine.
Walter Herrmann