GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Thinking about just installing my Vaistech and BeatSonic myself, should I?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 05:58 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree OEM Navi looks 1000x better than any aftermarket but the factory Nav lacks alot but thats to be expected especially since mine is a '05.

I installed a Kenwood DNX5140 in my Tundra along w/ the bluetooth module, iPhone adapter, rear camera, subs and amp. I like working on gadgets. This Vais should be a piece of cake...as long as I dont crack the 2 side wood pieces.
Old 03-17-12, 07:44 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
...as long as I dont crack the 2 side wood pieces.
Some words of encouragement.......

I installed the VAIS unit in my GX a couple years ago - buy a set of the interior trim tools, it's not expensive and really helps prevent damaging things. The two side vent pieces seem to be the concern 'cuz they're expensive to replace. They're held in place with spring clips that seem to 'hold fast' and you think maybe it's too much force and about ready to break - then suddenly you're past the bend in the clips and they release easily. My set of trim tools has 5 different shapes - some work better for the different pieces. If you work carefully things should go fine - just forget about how long it takes so you don't rush things and get into trouble.

My VAIS works great - had a 2nd generation iPod Mini that wouldn't hold a charge anymore. It works perfectly, out of sight in the glove box. It's great having all my favorite music, and not being limited to 6 CDs in the changer.
Old 03-18-12, 07:58 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you guys for all the advice and words of support. Still on the fence about doing or not doing the job myself. Could someone please post the link with the step by step dirx with pics for these jobs? I know they've got to be here somewhere but my searching didn't find them.
Old 03-18-12, 08:11 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by clubsport; 03-20-12 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-18-12, 08:18 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Thanks brotha. How are your installs on the G coming along?

Last edited by Muti007; 03-18-12 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-18-12, 01:04 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Muti007
Thank you guys for all the advice and words of support. Still on the fence about doing or not doing the job myself.

What exactly are you worried about?

Since youve installed a system in your 4Runner and had to run / cut / splice / solder wires, this install in your GX should be a breeze! But if youre doubting yourself just have it installed, then you wont have to worry about a thing. Since the parts are plug-n-play a shop shouldnt charge you that much.

I ended up buying the sl2i-up from a member on these boards today so I should have get it sometime this week. I cant wait to install it, FM and CDs are getting old quick!
Old 03-18-12, 05:29 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure the tab/clips aren't being bent sideway... make it a straight inline direction of the clip's lenght pull... gl
Old 03-18-12, 10:14 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by RCsGX
What exactly are you worried about?

Since youve installed a system in your 4Runner and had to run / cut / splice / solder wires, this install in your GX should be a breeze! But if youre doubting yourself just have it installed, then you wont have to worry about a thing. Since the parts are plug-n-play a shop shouldnt charge you that much.

I ended up buying the sl2i-up from a member on these boards today so I should have get it sometime this week. I cant wait to install it, FM and CDs are getting old quick!
So the shop was closed all weekend for some reason or Id have just gotten them to do the install Saturday morning. I also couldnt do it as I had family in from Canada this weekend and also wasnt feeling so well. More on the latter latter.

I would not say Im worried really.

But as Ive already mentioned I am weary of breaking something expensive, though I dont think I ever have broken anything substantial in my years of working on all of my cars. And reallly Im so 50-50% about if I even want to go through all the hassle of pulling it apart and then putting it back together.

Second, and this is really the main thing I guess, Im quite ill and have been for months now. I have severe migraines coupled with really bad vertigo, dizzy spells, spinning sensations etc. and it can get quite bad at times to where it can put an end to my entire day no matter what I am doing. Last time I did a big job I wasnt this bad, but now, it would really suck to have my whole truck apart and then have an extreme episode and have to go inside to rest, lights off, take my meds etc. and leave my truck in pieces.

So considering all of these things together, just throwing a couple bucks at it is likely the logical thing to do.
Old 03-20-12, 03:06 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Yeah if it was cheap to have it installed why not!! Glad you got it installed, how is it, do you like it, is it easy to use?
Old 03-20-12, 08:48 PM
Muti007
Advanced

LOVE it!! I wish to GOd my LS430 OEM nav system had the display capabilities my GX had, or that there was a kit out there that could get it to perform similarly. As it is, the Vaistech in the GX is simply outstanding. All playlists are available by name as are the songs within them so you can choose what you want to hear. Considering it is a completely aftermarket solution, it is an outstanding iplementation IMO. I do still wonder if I should have bought one of the used one a few guys have up for sale but am still very pleaed with what I got.

The Beat Sonic also works very well as the DVD bypass and the picture quality is excellent overall as well. Now I wonder if there is an OEM Lexus remote control I could get for use with my head unit. That is to say, I have no screens or DVD players behind the drivers seat, just the Nav screen is my monitor. With all of these functions now it sure would be great to be able to control with a remote.

Also, I may continue to investigate a similarly excellent solution for my LS even though Ive already shelled a good bit of $$ on it for the ipod kit and installation. Id hate to see that time and $$ go to waste, but after seeing what the Vaistech can do in my G, Id kill to be able to do the same in the LS430.

I highly would recommend Beat Sonic and Vaistech. Outstanding products, function just as theyre described, helpful if you run into ay issues and seem to stand behind their products as well. Good folks, good devices. Now I want the same for my LS!! And dont even get me started on my S2000, lol.

Special thanks to rominl, Beat Sonic, Vaistech, ClubSport and others for being so helpful as i researched which products to buy for my GX based on my needs.

Last edited by Muti007; 03-21-12 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-20-12, 10:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

awesome, congrats muti. there is no remote for the navigation up front unfortunately.

on the ls430 it's probably not worth it. all 430 have the gen3/4 system and i don't think there is remotely easy way to upgrade that
Old 03-21-12, 05:16 AM
Muti007
Advanced

BTW, sorry for all of the spelling mistakes!
Old 03-21-12, 09:56 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I got my sl2i-up and man does music sound nice through the iPhone. Install was a piece of cake, it took me 10 mins to remove the panels (didnt need to use any plastic pry tools) and install it but it took me 30 mins to figure out where to run the iPhone plug. LOL

I dont have a iPod so Im using my iPhone. I ended up running the cable along the drivers seat / emergency brake under the plastic panel so when I plug my iPhone in I can either put in the DVD storage / cupholder or the cupholder in front. I can appreciate the ML system now.

I still dont know how to use it though. I never set up playlists on my iPhone. On my Kenwood navigation I could choose songs by songs or artist so I never used playlists. I guess I need to create some.
Old 03-21-12, 10:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

with your system i believe playlists is the only way to go
Old 03-22-12, 07:49 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Yeah man youre going to need playlists. Do you not have a lot of songs? I cant imagine how you could have gone without playlists all this time unless you just dont have all that much music to bother with. Ive got a little over 60gb worth music so I have a ton of playlists.

Another thing I ended up doing right before the install was buying another ipod last week off of ebay used. I got a 6th gen 80gb Classic for like $90 shipped. Works perfectly, got a new case for it just like the one I have on my other one and did a full sync just like the other one. So now both cars have the exact same, collection of all of my music, same playlists, same everything. so now I never have to worry about forgetting the damn thing in one car when I meant to grab it for the other Gotta love Ebay sometimes!! May end up getting a 3rd for the Stook once I get her all ready for the summer and start driving her again.

Quick Reply: Thinking about just installing my Vaistech and BeatSonic myself, should I?