GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

CPO - what condition are the tires in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 02:33 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO - what condition are the tires in?

I bought my '07 GX 470 from Scottsdale Lexus last June 30th - coming up on the one year anniversary! I bought her with 44,700 miles on the odometer and am now up to just over 58K total.

The other day I noticed the TPMS was indicating a low tire, and sure enough, the right-front tire was at 20psi, where the others were at 35. I re-inflated to 35, and by the same time the next day it was back down to 20.

Upon inspection at Discount Tire Co. here in Scottsdale, they found a nail embedded in the inside shoulder of the tire, and said it was too dangerous to repair.

What was more disconcerting, however, was them pointing out to me the splitting and cracking occurring between the tread on all four tires. They said this sort of dry-rot happens on older tires, but I told them that was impossible since I'd just bought it CPO from Lexus less than a year ago.

The rep at the tire store showed me where the manufacture dates on the tires indicated 6/09 and 7/09, saying these were likely the original equipment!

I called Scottsdale Lexus and told them how concerned I was that they'd sell me a CPO car with such old tires, and they've agreed to look at them this Wednesday to determine what, if anything, they're prepared to do to help me.

Question is - am I in the wrong to expect more than a year's use or 14K miles out of tires on a CPO car from Lexus? I didn't expect brand-new tires by any means, but I figure it's not unreasonable to expect perhaps 2 years out of them.

What say you, everyone? Anyone else run into this with a CPO Lexus?
Old 06-21-11, 03:47 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus cheaps out on CPO tires. Mine didn't have much life left at all on my CPO.

The dealer will swear they are the best tires to ever roll over the face of the earth but in reality if they can get the car off the lot with the tires it rolled in on they will.

I am in the same boat as you - I bought January, 2011 and will have to replace this fall before too much rain/snow.
Old 06-21-11, 06:58 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by N305AS
I bought my '07 GX 470 from Scottsdale Lexus last June 30th - coming up on the one year anniversary! I bought her with 44,700 miles on the odometer and am now up to just over 58K total.

The other day I noticed the TPMS was indicating a low tire, and sure enough, the right-front tire was at 20psi, where the others were at 35. I re-inflated to 35, and by the same time the next day it was back down to 20.

Upon inspection at Discount Tire Co. here in Scottsdale, they found a nail embedded in the inside shoulder of the tire, and said it was too dangerous to repair.

What was more disconcerting, however, was them pointing out to me the splitting and cracking occurring between the tread on all four tires. They said this sort of dry-rot happens on older tires, but I told them that was impossible since I'd just bought it CPO from Lexus less than a year ago.

The rep at the tire store showed me where the manufacture dates on the tires indicated 6/09 and 7/09, saying these were likely the original equipment!

I called Scottsdale Lexus and told them how concerned I was that they'd sell me a CPO car with such old tires, and they've agreed to look at them this Wednesday to determine what, if anything, they're prepared to do to help me.

Question is - am I in the wrong to expect more than a year's use or 14K miles out of tires on a CPO car from Lexus? I didn't expect brand-new tires by any means, but I figure it's not unreasonable to expect perhaps 2 years out of them.

What say you, everyone? Anyone else run into this with a CPO Lexus?
What name brand tire? My bet is Dunlop or Bridgstone's- Horrible tires, IMO. Replace them with Michelins and drive it worry free for 70k miles.
Old 06-21-11, 10:29 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
What name brand tire? My bet is Dunlop or Bridgstone's- Horrible tires, IMO. Replace them with Michelins and drive it worry free for 70k miles.
Believe it or not, they're Michelin Cross-Terrains!
Old 06-22-11, 01:37 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my GX CPO as well and didn't have that problem, in fact my tires were pretty knew when I bought it with about 38K on the odom, right now I have 87K on the odom and getting ready to purchase new treads. I do have the michelins on them now.

To my knowledge CPO doesn't mean that they'll replace worn parts on the vehicle, it just basically means that they go through an extensive verification of maintenance that was done on the vehicle to ensure that the vehicle your buying isn't a lemon.
Old 06-22-11, 07:06 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin CTs will easily last for 80K miles. Drying of the tire compound is a well known, but you need to remember that these tires are 4 years old.

IMHO, I would plug that tire and put it away for a spare. You can easily get another year out of that set.

CTs are one on the best tires for the GX. If your dealer will be willing to replace them or share the cost of replacement, make sure you get at least comparable quality tires. Stay away from Dunflops. Insist on Michelin CTs or LTX MS/2s.
Old 06-22-11, 09:57 PM
N305AS
Rookie

** UPDATE **

I met with one of the managers at Scottsdale Lexus today and shared my concerns. He said when certifying a vehicle for CPO resale, they measure the tread life on the tires and if they're less than a "6" (which he said equates to about 55% of the tread life remaining), they'll replace the tires. Otherwise, they'll stick with them.

He and the Shop Foreman examined my tires and the Foreman did state he felt these tires needed to be replaced, or were within 5K miles of needing replacement. The manager said he'd get back to me and this afternoon, I received a call from him saying he'd be out of the office tomorrow but would get back with me on Friday to let me know what they could do in this instance. He floated the idea of giving me a "discount" on new tires, although I'm not certain what that would look like - ten percent? Fifty?

I'll update you all with the outcome once I hear back from Scottsdale Lexus. I'm hopeful they'll pick up the tab on new tires, but I doubt that will happen. I think my bottom-line expectation is that at minimum, they split the cost with me on a new set of Michelin Cross-Terrains.

Or are the LTX MS/2 a better tire? The CTs look more heavy-duty but from the small bit of research I've done on the subject, it sounds like the LTX may be a smoother, quieter ride.
Old 06-23-11, 02:24 PM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The general consensus appears to be the LTX will probably be around/available longer than the CT. As both tires will last 70K+ miles, you'll be riding on them for several years. Replacing a LTX (because if a nail...) would likely be easier a few years from now.

Regarding discount: search both the CT and LTX on Tirerack and negotiate any discount from there (rather than the dealers inflated tire price).

Good luck!
Old 06-25-11, 09:46 PM
N305AS
Rookie

FINAL UPDATE:

Scottsdale Lexus agreed to pay $400.00 toward the purchase of new tires, either from them, or any retailer of my choice. I purchased a new set of four Michelin Cross Terrains today from Discount Tire Co. (they verified this new version of the CTs are still in production) and retained the best of the current CTs for use as a spare.

I'll be going back to Scottsdale Lexus to be reimbursed on Monday, along with having them do an alignment on my GX.

Many thanks to all of you for your input, and obviously many thanks to Scottsdale Lexus for trying to make right by me with this!
Old 06-26-11, 09:01 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! I figured it was mission impossible going back to the dealer after the fact.

I'm impressed with the dealer. I'm also impressed with your effort.

Nice job.
Old 06-27-11, 06:35 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

great job...glad to hear everything went well. I bought my '03 CPO and was able to get the dealership to replace my corroded wheels after complaining how bad they were.

i also got the dealership to repaint my door after i washed my car using a pressure washer at the car wash (it caused the clearcoat to peel as if you were peeling an orange). I think if you speak to the right peope at the dealership they'll do the right thing.

Unfortnately, the wheels are starting to pitt so i'm on the hunt for the 18" limited 4runner wheels.