GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Customer Service at its best

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 07:18 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Customer Service at its best

I rarely write on forums (I prefer to read and laugh at some of the comments - some of you guys are hilarious), but I had to make an exception for Steve at XenonDepot.

A few months back, I sold my G35 for an GX470. I love that car, but with a baby on the way, a great dane, and a boxer, it just wasn't going to cut it. Long story short, I was horrified by the headlights, so I began reading and decided to go with an H11 set from Steve.

My experience was fantastic! I wanted the kit before this weekend, so I sent Steve an email last Sunday night to see if that was possible (I had not ordered anything yet). Then, on Monday, the craziest thing happened...he actually called me to get the details so he could make sure the kit got to me in time. The lights are now installed (less than a week later) and I have a big fat smile on my face.

I am in sales, so a lot of what I do is centered around customer service. I know how difficult it is to maintain a high level of service the way Steve has for years (I think he has been getting rave reviews since 2004 on this site). In a world where it is so easy to hit "Reply" in your email and type away, he went old school on me and picked up a phone. Thank you very much Steve.

As for the new HID setup...well, they look exactly like those on my G35...which is awesome! I was going to do a step by step with pictures like Tony did way back when, but I didn't want to get blood on the camera - I was clumsy as hell and dropped the battery on my fingers. Why the heck does the Lexus battery not have a handle!? Haha.
Attached Thumbnails Customer Service at its best-picture-003.jpg   Customer Service at its best-picture-002.jpg   Customer Service at its best-picture-001.jpg  

Last edited by cdew002; 09-04-10 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 08:42 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Very nice!!! I know what you mean about the battery. I just changed mine and a handle would have been real nice. The new Bosch I installed has a handle though.

How much for the HID kit and what color is that? 5000K?
Old 09-05-10, 10:21 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Thanks! It is the 4300K H11 kit. With the club lexus discount, it was $195 shipped.

The pictures really don't do it justice - it looks hazy and glow-y in the pictures, but it is really crystal clear in person. The cut off is perfect - just like my G35 which had stock HIDs. I will try to get some better shots with our big boy Nikon camera tonight.
Old 09-05-10, 10:34 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

I also debadged it yesterday - - to get the residue off, I initially used alcohol and my fingernail. After that, there was a slight outline (mine's a 2004 - 6 years of gunk buildup) To remove the outline, I used Meguiars ScratchX 2.0. Being that my truck is silver, I was able to apply it liberally...but if you have one that is black, I would be a little more cautious with the application. I have heard it can haze up the paint if you go at it long enough.
Attached Thumbnails Customer Service at its best-picture-005.jpg  
Old 09-05-10, 11:16 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats the same Kit I got from Steve and Yes he goes above and beyond to help anyone out!! Im getting ready to get me the 4300K kit for my Foglights so they match up well as Im tired of my yellow dingy fogs.
Old 09-05-10, 01:26 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Ha. That is my next purchase, also - although I was considering the 3000K. I plan to look into it before I actually purchase the H3 kit, but I remember reading that 3000K was the best color choice for penetrating and seeing through fog. If I wasn't down here on the coast, I would probably go for the 4300K (I think it looks better and would match), but I unfortunately have to cross the Mobile Bay every morning on my way to work, and fog is fairly common.
Old 09-05-10, 05:19 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Yea the 3000K kit will be a nice bright yellow for sure and some of the IS guys have it on their cars and looks really good! I was almost going to get it too so I would be differant! I may talk to steve on this and try 3K kit and if i dont like it then buy the 4300 Bulbs?

Get the 3000K and post up some picts I bet it will look trick. when do you plan on doing this
Old 09-05-10, 09:03 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

I like your idea - the bulbs are $45 (each) from Steve, so it wouldn't be too expensive to replace them if the 3000K doesn't work out. Since my wife sees no point in spending money on a perfectly good truck, I try to work on it while she is out of town. I should be able to get to it in in the next few weeks.

Also - here are a few more pictures of the new headlights. Sorry for the bushes...the other trucks are in the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails Customer Service at its best-picture.jpg   Customer Service at its best-picture-013.jpg  
Old 09-05-10, 10:49 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cdew002
Ha. That is my next purchase, also - although I was considering the 3000K. I plan to look into it before I actually purchase the H3 kit, but I remember reading that 3000K was the best color choice for penetrating and seeing through fog. If I wasn't down here on the coast, I would probably go for the 4300K (I think it looks better and would match), but I unfortunately have to cross the Mobile Bay every morning on my way to work, and fog is fairly common.

Hey go to their testimonials and they have several cars and I think a 4-Runner with the 3K foglight setup to view!

Here is the Link>> http://www.kbcarstuff.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=61

Last edited by Booyah; 09-05-10 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 09:03 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Congratulation on your new car. I have a Boxer too, it's a wonderful breed. He is great with my 2.5 years old son.
Old 09-08-10, 12:43 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

It was a pleasure working with you bud. Thank you so much for taking the time to post up some feedback on the board. Enjoy your new lights! Good choice on going with the Xtreme 4300k HID Kit.

Steve
Old 09-08-10, 04:17 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

I am definitely enjoying them! I keep finding reasons to go out once it gets dark so I can use them. Haha. My wife just thinks I'm being nice and going to the store for her.

Our boxer is great - she's a crazy little ball of energy though. Keeps the great Dane on his toes.
Old 09-09-10, 08:40 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Enjoy bud!
Old 12-02-10, 09:29 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Cliff,

Thank you for the repeat business! Please let me know what you think of the new 194 High Power LED bulbs from Putco.

Steve
Old 12-02-10, 09:45 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Steve,

Happy Holidays to you! I know it's been said not to use the "AUTO ON/OFF" feature of the headlights because it reduces the bulb lifespan, but how much reduction in bulb lifespan are we talking about? I had a RX330 that had factory HIDs installed and always used the AUTO feature. Is the reason due to startup when not using a relay harness?

Quick Reply: Customer Service at its best