GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

sunroof trim rust

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 08:53 PM
nalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof trim rust

Dear all,
I have an 05 GX, the other day when I opened the sunroof I noticed some bad rust on the metal trim around the glass of the sunroof where the rubber seal goes. I took it to the dealership they were surprised and they took some pics of it and they tell me that they have to talk to lexus. Then after couple weeks I was told that this is not part of the body and it is not covered.
Anyway does anyone notice something like this, also please take a look around that area and let me know.
Old 05-01-10, 09:06 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

throw us some snap shots !
Old 04-18-12, 07:29 PM
Playtobias
Driver School Candidate

Default Sunroof rust

Just noticed the same thing in two spots on my 2005 gx. It is a CPO with 100k warranty. I'll check if it is covered. Anyone have any experience here?
Old 04-18-12, 08:01 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No rust here....
Old 05-08-12, 05:15 PM
jmwmnl
Driver School Candidate

Just noticed we had it too! Not sure why, as our GX has been in TX it's whole life. Is there a TSB on this?
Old 05-08-12, 05:18 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have undercarriage rust but none on moonroof area...
Old 05-13-12, 08:19 PM
john5210
Driver School Candidate

We just bought a 07 GX470 with 47k miles and I checked our sunroof and we also have rust. Our GX came out Flordia. Oh by the way I am new to the board and this is my first post.
Old 07-25-13, 06:45 PM
Playtobias
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Rust

Dealer said they don't cover rust issues on sunroof. I should of pursued with Lexus Corp Office. Oh we'll.
Old 07-26-13, 09:08 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by nalex
Dear all,
I have an 05 GX, the other day when I opened the sunroof I noticed some bad rust on the metal trim around the glass of the sunroof where the rubber seal goes. I took it to the dealership they were surprised and they took some pics of it and they tell me that they have to talk to lexus. Then after couple weeks I was told that this is not part of the body and it is not covered.
Anyway does anyone notice something like this, also please take a look around that area and let me know.
I would like to see a picture of this. You might be able to clean it up if it has not eaten away at the metal .
Old 07-27-13, 10:32 PM
mann777

The moon roof is covered under Lexus Comprehensive Warranty ( 48 months/50,000 miles ) unless expired. Read the part from the Owners manual what the above warrant covers.
There was a TSB L-SB-0089-08 Dated Sep 9th 2008 ( Moonroof Stuck or Improper Operation) issued to all GX owners for models between 2003-2008 Having an issue on the Opening and closing part, as certain parts had to be replaced to the alignment issues during opening and closing, provided you are under the above warranty mentioned. But nothing so far has been on the rust part, As this should be regularly lubricated part of the regular service preventive maintenance.

Last edited by mann777; 07-27-13 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 07:04 AM
chrisb7
Driver School Candidate

Hi john, I just got an 06 gx from Florida as well with the exact same rust issue on the sun roof. Have you found out why this is and how to repair it? Any suggestions on wwhere I can start on getting this figured out would be helpful.

Thanks,

Chris

Originally Posted by john5210
We just bought a 07 GX470 with 47k miles and I checked our sunroof and we also have rust. Our GX came out Flordia. Oh by the way I am new to the board and this is my first post.
Old 11-06-13, 12:46 AM
mann777

Guys if you want solutions, throw us some images so that experts can understand and give solutions. Not just plain talking !!! would help. it would give a clear picture
The following users liked this post:
RUSSIAN300 (08-29-21)
Old 05-26-17, 04:09 PM
MissPiggy
4th Gear

Default Post resurrection

I also have a lot of rust (flaking, already all the way through the metal) on the front edge of the sunroof. From looking at the top, you can't see it because of the rubber seal. You also can't see it from underneath unless you sort of peel back the rubber seal that runs around the glass. I'm a bit confused when looking up the parts diagram and can't figure out what needs to be replaced? The glass looks lie it comes with the seal but I can't tell if it also has a metal frame around it that bolts to the slide assembly, or if you only get the glass and rubber seal and the metal rusted piece comes as part of the slide. Has anyone else fixed this and can explain exactly what part needs to be replaced. The photos don't show the rust because it is under the rubber seal, but the photo from in the car shows the metal frame looking piece that is rusted out if you look under the seal. The smaller screen captures are of the piece that looks like the glass only and the other is the slide assembly and I'm not sure which I need.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails sunroof trim rust-20170526_154324.jpg   sunroof trim rust-20170526_154335.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 05-28-17, 07:52 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

GUYS Pics please!!!!!
Old 07-18-17, 01:31 PM
erkelbot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MissPiggy
I also have a lot of rust (flaking, already all the way through the metal) on the front edge of the sunroof. From looking at the top, you can't see it because of the rubber seal. You also can't see it from underneath unless you sort of peel back the rubber seal that runs around the glass. I'm a bit confused when looking up the parts diagram and can't figure out what needs to be replaced? The glass looks lie it comes with the seal but I can't tell if it also has a metal frame around it that bolts to the slide assembly, or if you only get the glass and rubber seal and the metal rusted piece comes as part of the slide. Has anyone else fixed this and can explain exactly what part needs to be replaced. The photos don't show the rust because it is under the rubber seal, but the photo from in the car shows the metal frame looking piece that is rusted out if you look under the seal. The smaller screen captures are of the piece that looks like the glass only and the other is the slide assembly and I'm not sure which I need.

Thanks.
I have the same thing going on. It's all one piece, and you have to replace the entire sunroof assembly. I called the dealer about it and they said it's about $900 for the parts. My solve: stop using the sunroof.

Quick Reply: sunroof trim rust