GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What car did you come from and why the GX

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 04:28 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very interesting thread, glad so many owners love their GX, it's a great ride !
Old 10-07-09, 07:35 PM
squeege
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a 1994 Honda Accord & needed the utility. I was sold on Lexus reputation and specifically the safety features of the GX. I am amazed at how on even long drives I am not fatigued. The only part that is disappointing is the mpg; it is the price I am willing to pay.

I have 63,xxx miles on the GX and just flipped 200,500 miles on the Accord.

Sq
Old 10-29-09, 08:40 PM
mocheen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We normally purchase Acuras having owned a 1991 Legend Coupe,2000 Integra Type R, 2003 TL Type S and a 2005 TL ASPEC. We started looking for a luxury SUV that left little to be desired. We narrowed it down to the MDX and the GX 470. The MDX was sportier and had more gadgets, but the Lexus felt more refined and luxurious. The doors on the Lexus were solid when you closed them. The overall cabin felt very plush and the ride is quieter in the GX. I did not really care for the beak like grill on the Acura or the headlight design. I also did not like how the front and rear bumpers were upainted. The Acura accelerated better and offered better handling, but the dash was cluttered with lights and buttons which made it confusing. I do not like the swingout rear door or the fold up 3rd row of the GX, but they seem to work. The MDX has the power tailgate and fold flat 3rd row. In the end it came down to the solid feel and simple yet luxurious interior of the GX.
Old 10-31-09, 12:18 AM
love_lexus
Driver

My previous sedan is GS300, I switched to ES350.
My previous SUV is Highlander limited with GPS, I move to GX470.
They are both very great, but I like to alter the driving feeling after some time.
Old 10-31-09, 01:44 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

1996 Nissan Maxima >>> 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee >>> 2002 Grand Cherokee >>> 2006 GX470 (my wife's truck).

There was an Infinity I30 in between as well.

Loved the 06 GX a lot and wanted to get one for myself, but could not justify having two $50K trucks in the family. So I bought the 2007 4Runner for myself.
Old 11-02-09, 06:52 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I have been a lexus Fan since the LS introduced in US, I havent had any interest in other Mfr, as the drive satisfaction is absolutely wonderful from the time I had the LS400 to the GX and then to the LS460. I will continue to be a fan of lexus. The GX basically turned me on when we had gone hunting in manitoba on my friends GX around 2003 end, I was amazed when this car we were about 7 of us and with all the hunting equipment, just did not fail on the snow. Just drove like a caterpillar without a hitch. I convinced my wife, we should take this as a family car, and here it it is still the best SUV i would rate it compared to the RRs and Audi and BMWs.
Old 11-17-09, 08:20 AM
sprale
Driver School Candidate

I had a Land Rover Discovery, great off-road! I really enjoyed the GX, but not really suited to my abuse off-road. Now I have a 4Runner, really fun. I generally ride a motorbike daily, so a newer vehicle is not a necessity, as I don't put many miles on cars. I may come back to a used GX again in the future, probably a 1G. I really miss all the little features and the general design of the GX, much nicer than the 4R.
Old 11-18-09, 03:28 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeep Cherokee to a GX.
Reason: Dependability + Looks + Comfort
Old 11-26-09, 04:42 AM
brycejaq
Driver

The wife and I have a 99 4Runner LTD that has been nothing but perfection for us. I had an 03 Silverado (for almost 2 years) that was complete garbage with all the creaks and rattles and I couldn't stand the grinding of the 4-wheel drive when making even the slightest turns so I traded down in size to an 06 GS300 AWD (since I live in NE 4WD or at least AWD is a minimum for us). So, we has the GS for about a year after that and loved the interior finishes, exterior styling and the over Lexus/Toyota quality...except for those damn dash rattles that just wouldn't go away no matter what I did or had done.

So, yet again we moved on and got our 06 GX that we absolutely love (except for those 3rd row seats and the rear barn-style door--although the door hasn't really bothered us, yet).

We came to our decision on the GX because we loved the GS, but not the rattles and we love our 4Runner, but needed another SUV that has enough space for our two Great Danes (with the 3rd row folded up or--probably will be taken out altogether soon) and has more safety features for our future kids

All that said, the GX has been nothing but great for us so far. We just picked it up in August and have since had the rotors re-surfaced (under warranty), but had to pay to have the pads replaced. Will be getting some winter tires for it soon, too, since the OEM Bridgestones are pretty horrible on the snow and ice.
Old 11-27-09, 07:27 PM
GxTex
Driver School Candidate

I drove a 97' 4runner SR5 for 9 years, and just sold it 2 weeks ago with 178k miles. I bought it used with 50k and that thing ran great! In those 9 years I had only one problem - a rear differential fluid leak, but other than that, zip! I bought a 09' GMC Sierra a couple months ago, and just couldn't get used to the size and lack of agility. Nice truck but it had it's share of rattles and squeaks even though it was brand new... I still have it and am undecided whether or not I'll keep it around. Anyways, after lots of test driving with 4runner Sports, Limiteds, etc. I was sold on getting another Toyota. It was around this time I discovered the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. I fell instantly in love until my heart was broken when I discovered it wasn't sold in North America. I did my research and realized the Prado was being sold as the Lexus GX470 here in the states. I drove one and loved it. It's much more open feeling than the 4runner and with the air-suspension and quiet ride I didn't look back. Turns out my neighbor's wife was selling hers for a bargain so I went for it. I plan on using this thing for offroading/camping as much as I did my 4runner. I may even sleep in the thing when it gets too cold. Great ride!
Old 06-20-11, 10:10 PM
RXstate
Driver School Candidate

Our 2004 GX470 came after a lemon we had, a Volvo S80 turbo from Carmax. Luckily we'd purchased the extended warranty, but the car was likely at the dealer more than it was in our driveway. The thing frequently wouldn't start for any apparent reason (I believe the dealer said on one occasion - after we had to have it TOWED there - that they couldn't replicate the problem and, on another, they claimed it was 'vapor lock'). Later, they replaced the fuel pump spilling loads of gas onto the interior carpet (try getting that smell out!). Finally, I put the car on eBay and got $16k less than we'd paid for it two or three years earlier and felt lucky!
Old 06-21-11, 05:48 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Rusted thru my second toyota pickup and needed an SUV for growing family. Also needed something big enough to tow a car in a pinch and still get decent mpg. Have a GS and the Lexus quality/amenities in that you just really get used to. GX was a perfect fit. Thrilled with it so far.
Old 06-21-11, 08:46 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I came from a long line of toyota vehicles prior to moving onto the GX. Wanted something bigger (3rd row seating) for the start of a new family and loved the luxury it had to offer. For me its a no brainer and will continue to be that way for a very long time. I plan on driving the GX into the ground which probably be another 15 yrs from now but if I were to switch my wife wants an RX (kids are getting older now).

For me I have a '02 GS430 and have my eyes set on an LS460 in the far distant future.
Old 06-21-11, 01:02 PM
waveseeker
Driver School Candidate

I had an 2005 Audi a6 4.2l Quattro, chipped to 390hp. I loved the thing the firs year, then it started to brake and I realized how ridiculously overpriced everything was. The car was over engineered and had way to many failure points. So on year three of ownership, my airbag occupancy sensor went bad, dealer said $1400 to fix, i spat and traded it in for a Lexus.

Got an 06 GX, love it, its roomy enough to haul all my kiteboarding gear around and enough luxury in it that i dont miss anything from the audi. the gas millage is the same and it's way more reliable. I'm very happy with my truck and recommend it to anyone!
Old 06-21-11, 06:54 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

02 GMC Envoy SLT loaded was and still is a great truck(surprised its an american co.) has 95k miles and my wife drives it and loves it. We needed a third row and we both love the GX and depending who has the kids we swap back and forth. My GX is a silver 04 and you can't tell from newer ones. My wife wants an RX or a Buick Enclave when we sell the Envoy.

Quick Reply: What car did you come from and why the GX