GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 07:25 AM
Hman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi TampaBill

I too have been taking my GX to Lexus of Clearwater since 07. If you read my earlier post, you will see I had them fix my garage kept GX cracked dash as well. Lexus of Clearwater always seems to find problems with things that were never a problem before including numerous tires they said had a nail in them that I never saw and they never show you the damaged one they took off. While waiting for my car one time, I overheard no less than three customers in front of me all being charged for new tires under similar circumstances. Coincidence? I also have had early changing of timing belt, radiator replacement even though I never saw a leak in my garage, and a host of other issues. They literally broke my gear selector changer and tried charging $800 for a new one. I finally got some relief after complaining to corporate but they did a crap job. They replaced underneath the shifter but did not replace the **** itself or the boot cover yet charged for the full part. Corporate never returned my calls on that point. Last time I brought my GX to Lexus of Clearwater, my ash tray stuffed with quarters was completely emptied out. Obviously no one who owns a Lexus cares about $20 bucks in change being stolen but it is the point of it all isn't it? When I mentioned this theft to my service adviser he said they had this issue before but they thought they fired those thieves. End of conversation. My personal belief is that they are hurting for money and they try everything they possible can to rape us for more money. They always recommend a million things that are absolutely not necessary right now like power steering fluid flushes etc I think all of the dealerships suck. I bought a 2012 Audi for my wife and negotiated a prepaid deal for the next services up to 50k miles so at least I don't have to worry about that. It seems most of the issues always happen once the vehicle is out of warranty. Since these new cars are so computer intense, we really have no choice for repair. I tried Tires Plus and some other local places and they were a tad cheaper than the dealership but truth be told they did a crappy job. So I feel you Bill. We're trapped and they know it full well.
Old 09-24-12, 02:16 PM
adairmwa
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracked Dashboard

We have a 2004 RX 330 with approximately 103,000 miles. We are the original owners and have garage kept the car. We do not use anything like Armorall on the dash and yet this enormously long crack developed over the middle portion of the control units and stretched around the speedometer area and the driver side air vent. What a shock when we have taken such good care of it. Lexus was notified and we have a 'fair' offer of 50% off the 'retail' cost of the dash and 50% off of the labor. We had expected more from the quality of my car than to have something like this even occur when we have been attentive owners. The lst few years the car was in Virginia; the last years, we have spent our time between Florida and Virginia.

Last edited by adairmwa; 09-24-12 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 10-01-12, 06:58 PM
Predicon
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 GX 470 Cracked Dashboard

My turn in the barrel. Our 2006 GX 470's dash has started cracking this summer when we were up in Michigan. We live in Sarasota Fl. Took it to Wilde Lexus in Sarasota this morning but I am sure it will be the same deal everyone else got. Not acceptable for a Lexus. I could see if it was a Yugo. And I already had to replace the air pump under the manifold at a cost of $2500 last winter. We were going to a New Years Eve party and it just lost power. Barley made it home. What a way to start the new year and now I have to do this. Would have been more at the dealer. But, I have a 2004 Infinity FX 35 and the dashboard bubbled all up when it was seven years old and Infinity replaced the whole thing for free. Didn't cost me a dime. I will follow up what Lexus comes up with, but I have to say, you get a whole lot more high tech, high performance and good looks with an Infinity and they back you up and take care of you. One time I was there and they even came out while I was sitting in the car and replaced the wipers for small money. I like my GX, but if they screw me on this, I'm done with Lexus.
Old 10-01-12, 07:52 PM
Predicon
Driver School Candidate

cdew002......I don't think we should use a bus, I am thinking a couple of Monster Trucks would be more like it. My family took our 2006 GX to a New Years Eve party when the air injection pump went out ($4k) at the dealer. We barley made it home and took our 2004 FX 35. What a way to start the new year with Lexus. Now my dashboard is cracking. They are deciding now if they are going to do anything at Wilde Lexus of Sarasota, but I know already what the answer will be. They will say the dash cover costs $1800 and I have to pay 7 or 8 hundred in labor when I already know you can get the dash cover for $490. The dashboard bubbled up on my Infinity when it was seven years old and they fixed it for free. If the Lexus was priced 20% less than my Infinity than maybe I could come to grips with it, but it is just the other way around. If they screw me on this dash cover than I am done with Lexus. The only thing I have done to my Infinity is change the transmission fluid. There is no timing belt. On the Lexus I also had to change the front shocks, the water pump, timing belt and one of the catalytic converter valves. The Infinity is two years older and they both have around 90k. My 1988 K-5 Blazer had 190k on it when I got rid of it for the Lexus, but then again, I didn't have to sink so much money into it either. I can understand the K-5 Blazer being low tech, because it was a 1988, but the Lexus was pretty much set up the same way. Cruise control on a stick, wow, how modern. My wife had to have a Lexus and I wanted a tow vehicle. It would have worked out pretty good if Lexus could make something that would last more than six years.
Old 10-20-12, 04:04 PM
Morris75
Driver School Candidate

I am traveling right so reading throught this on my phone it a little hard, but wanted to link you guys to a thread i started on T4R.ORG (4Runner forum).

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...n-request.html

We are having the exact same issues. I am not sure where you guys have to call for complaints but think if we can start rattling the cages together we can bring some more attention to the issue and hopefully have them give us some help.
Old 10-25-12, 04:41 AM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those of you who have gotten dealerships to pick up some of the cost of replacing the dashboard cover:
1. What type of deal did you get? (Lexus covered the part and you covered the labor or the other way around?)
2. How much was your total bill for this repair alone?
3. What criteria did you meet for them to help out with the issue? (all service done at dealer? purchased car at dealer?
4. Has anybody gotten Lexus pick up the whole repair?
5. Has anybody gotten the cracks repaired in a decent, discrete manner?

Thanks all!

BTW, I figured out a quick way to stop the dash cracks for growing. The trick is to keep an eye on the dash and spot them as soon as they first start. Keep an eye out for the new thread.
Old 10-29-12, 08:25 AM
Predicon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oardila99
For those of you who have gotten dealerships to pick up some of the cost of replacing the dashboard cover:
1. What type of deal did you get? (Lexus covered the part and you covered the labor or the other way around?)
3. What criteria did you meet for them to help out with the issue? (all service done at dealer? purchased car at dealer?

Thanks all!

BTW, I figured out a quick way to stop the dash cracks for growing. The trick is to keep an eye on the dash and spot them as soon as they first start. Keep an eye out for the new thread.
I took my GX into Wilde Lexus of Sarasota, Fl a month ago and am still waiting to see if they will do anything. If you contact the company headquarters in Terrence, CA they will tell you to take it to the dealer. That is what they told me anyway. But what I got from all the other posts is they make you pay for the labor. One guy said he bought the dash cover for $490 and installed it himself. I will post again when I find something out.

Okay, it is November 8th and the service manager called and said the company would pay 50% of the total bill ($1500). So the total bill should only be around $1100 from the research I have done, but it is better than nothing. So I excepted the deal. He said it would take around 2 or 3 days to get the part and one day to due the repair. I wish I didn't like this GX so much because it is not a good value at all. I have never had to dump so much money into a vehicle before for such petty things. It just keeps adding up.

Last edited by Predicon; 11-08-12 at 08:17 PM. Reason: correction: they make you pay for the part which should be around $490 and they pay for the labor which is around $600.
Old 10-29-12, 12:43 PM
volman3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oardila99

Thanks all!

Dealer offered to pay labor of about $600 and we were to pay for part $1100 give or take. We tried taking it to vinyl repair places a couple of times at first but never did match or split in other places. Ended up taking offer from dealer and looks perfect now. They gave us the deal because they wanted us to stay satisfied with the brand. Thought about trading a couple of times but have not found anything I like better for the amount of money I want to spend. Still very satisfied with toy and Lexus.
Old 11-16-12, 08:47 PM
txlincoln
Driver School Candidate

I picked up my 2007 GX470 on October 31st and there were no cracks, just under 90k miles on the car. Took it to my dealer the next day did the 90,000 miles service (including timing belt) and full detail. Two days later I have a cracks over the instrument panel and one running from the left dashboard vent.

Called Lexus Customer Service and after waiting 5 days they offer to split the cost of the part 50/50 but I will be responsible for all labor...approx total cost to me, $1,400! I told them they could keep their offer and that I just traded a Honda Accord with 212,000 miles and never had a hint of a cracked on the dash. The rep actually said to me "so evidently you purchased the vehicle with the cracks in the dash, right?" I was very offended and told him that I would have never purchased it with a crack and that I make better car buying decisions than that.

I was so excited to get this vehicle, my first Lexus, and I am now so disappointed, I would never have thought this would happen to a Lexus.

Last edited by txlincoln; 11-16-12 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-17-12, 05:50 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by txlincoln
I picked up my 2007 GX470 on October 31st and there were no cracks, just under 90k miles on the car. Took it to my dealer the next day did the 90,000 miles service (including timing belt) and full detail. Two days later I have a cracks over the instrument panel and one running from the left dashboard vent.

Called Lexus Customer Service and after waiting 5 days they offer to split the cost of the part 50/50 but I will be responsible for all labor...approx total cost to me, $1,400! I told them they could keep their offer and that I just traded a Honda Accord with 212,000 miles and never had a hint of a cracked on the dash. The rep actually said to me "so evidently you purchased the vehicle with the cracks in the dash, right?" I was very offended and told him that I would have never purchased it with a crack and that I make better car buying decisions than that.

I was so excited to get this vehicle, my first Lexus, and I am now so disappointed, I would never have thought this would happen to a Lexus.
Sorry to hear. Aside from this dashboard issue (which is a big issue) it really is a great truck.

Have you approached the dealer where you purchaed the GX to ask if they would be willing to help you with the labor cost or perhaps they have a garage where they can do the replacement at their cost?
Old 11-17-12, 05:51 AM
Drivelx450
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue with my 2003. I tried to get quotes from our local upholstery shops, but they are asking way too much. Mine is about 2 inches long (hairline) just above the speedometer area
Old 11-17-12, 07:42 AM
txlincoln
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
Sorry to hear. Aside from this dashboard issue (which is a big issue) it really is a great truck.

Have you approached the dealer where you purchaed the GX to ask if they would be willing to help you with the labor cost or perhaps they have a garage where they can do the replacement at their cost?
I actually got it at auction, your right a great truck, it was a one owner all service done at the original dealer. Who knows maybe I can contact them. My dealer here, whom I really like has tried to support me as much as possible.

I am not going to give up yet, overall I am just shocked at how I was handled by Cust. Service I didn't think it mattered that I bought mine used, but that seemed to be a factor in their decision.
Old 11-19-12, 07:57 PM
Predicon
Driver School Candidate

I have read all the comments here and every dealer is offering a different price. One guy on here bought the Dash Panel for $390 retail so you figure around $250 what the dealer pays. Then if you add in 8 hours labor @ $50 an hour that's $650 for the whole job. I paid $740 in Sarasota, Fl which is about the best price I have seen here. So really when they say they are splitting the cost 50/50 they are not. At $750, I paid for the whole deal. Now you can get ready for when the airpump goes out. That will be another $2500. They have to take the intake manifold off to get at that. Mercedes and Land Rover are no better. The mechanics tell me the Mercedes leak oil the the Land Rover's are an all around night mare.
I hope the next Dealer gives you a better deal.
Old 11-19-12, 09:35 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Predicon
...Now you can get ready for when the airpump goes out. That will be another $2500. They have to take the intake manifold off to get at that. ....
Which air pump are you referring to exactly? There is a fuel pump and suspension pump/compressor. What other pump is there, under the manifold that costs $2500? Please provide details.

Is this what you're referring to:
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...76000F010.html

Thanks!

Last edited by danmm7; 11-19-12 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 08:28 AM
txlincoln
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Predicon
I have read all the comments here and every dealer is offering a different price. One guy on here bought the Dash Panel for $390 retail so you figure around $250 what the dealer pays. Then if you add in 8 hours labor @ $50 an hour that's $650 for the whole job. I paid $740 in Sarasota, Fl which is about the best price I have seen here. So really when they say they are splitting the cost 50/50 they are not. At $750, I paid for the whole deal. Now you can get ready for when the airpump goes out. That will be another $2500. They have to take the intake manifold off to get at that. Mercedes and Land Rover are no better. The mechanics tell me the Mercedes leak oil the the Land Rover's are an all around night mare.
I hope the next Dealer gives you a better deal.
Yep and that is part of the reason I told them "no thanks" on their deal. It's not about the money, but about doing what is right, this shouldn't be happening at all.

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?