GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-12-14, 04:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

GX470 Bouncy Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 10:08 AM
jjslexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined the forum. Wish I had done it much sooner. Here goes

I own a 2006 GX470, 246K miles. Bought it used from Indlpls Lexus dealer. Was a one owner with a 40+ page maintenance history. I use it for long drives to do photography off the beaten path. Forest roads, trails etc. Love the vehicle

While in central Florida in late March, I noticed the dreaded “back end bounce”. I took it to Lexus dealer in Jacksonville area. I suspected it was something related to air suspension. Dealer diagnosed “leaky air bags”. When I bought the vehicle, I spoke to the tech that had maintained the vehicle. He stated the only problem he could foresee in the next 100K miles was a problem with the air suspension. I remember his comment “If that goes out, it will be hard to diagnose as it’s a complicated system and it will be expensive to repair”. Boy was he right

The repair in Florida cost $1,450.00 ($900 for the bags and $550 for labor including $150 diagnostic fee). I told them I was out of town and heading back to Indiana the next day.

When I paid they also informed the switch for the height control was defective and it shouldn’t bother anything since I don’t tow nor ever use the height control anyway. So off I went thinking I was good to go. Oh, the system had worked fine up to that point, IE no overnight sagging, no uneven leveling, it just started the hard bounce on big bumps (railroad crossing etc ) one day.

So, I head north and after 2 days driving and app 800 mile…It starts doing the same thing. I pulled over and cycled the car off/on and I could hear the compressor running. I called the service tech and was told take it to my nearest Dealer and they would sort it out as their service was guaranteed nation wide for 12month/12,000 miles.

After a visit to my local dealer in Indpls, their diagnosis is something within the solenoid/valving isn’t allowing air to get from the compressor to the bags. Option 1 was replacing the compressor (app $2,000); or Option 2 (what they recommended) was the conversion to coil springs. After a couple phone calls to the dealer in Florida, they said essentially, I was on my own and they would do nothing to offset the new repair.

I’ve decided on the coil conversion and will let the dealer in Indpls install. My supposition is that the original root problem was/is something in the control system/valves and I literally wasted $1,450 on new airbags. I am extremely disappointed with the response from the dealer in Florida and was wondering if anyone might concur with my supposition and do you agree with the how the Florida dealer handled this? (We had proposed he cover the cost of the conversion kit and I would cover the labor).
Old 04-13-19, 04:50 PM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Yeah, that $150 Diagnostic fee should have been used for just that purpose. sometimes dealerships are on a time constraint. The first thing they see out of the norm, is what they deem as the culprit without looking at the bigger picture, unfortunately.
Old 04-24-19, 08:02 AM
jjslexus
Driver School Candidate

After no help from the dealer, Lexus of Orange Park, i contacted corporate Lexus Customer Care. They furnished me a $150, service credit which covers the Diagnostic fee i was charged. Oh and my "home" dealer, Tom Wood in Indianapolis, didn't charge me for my visit when i went to them. overall experience i guess was C+. Anybody want to buy a pair of gently used (app 1,000 miles) OEM air bags?
Old 04-24-19, 07:49 PM
MidWestGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjslexus
After no help from the dealer, Lexus of Orange Park, i contacted corporate Lexus Customer Care. They furnished me a $150, service credit which covers the Diagnostic fee i was charged. Oh and my "home" dealer, Tom Wood in Indianapolis, didn't charge me for my visit when i went to them. overall experience i guess was C+. Anybody want to buy a pair of gently used (app 1,000 miles) OEM air bags?
pm me what you'd be looking to get for the airbags. Mine are leaking slowly
Old 05-15-19, 11:21 AM
Lexus03GX
Driver School Candidate

Default PM Me

Originally Posted by jjslexus
If you still have the bags, let me know. I bought the cheap chinese ones and they dont ride quite right..
Old 05-31-19, 10:37 AM
bmuckenfus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much does it typically cost to replace the height sensor?
Old 05-31-19, 07:52 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The dealer price is around $400 each (one left, one right). There's an alignment process, so installation will probably be billed at one to two hours.

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

You might check a parts yard to see if they can get you a used one. Or eBay.

Chip H.
Old 06-16-20, 12:53 PM
trocket
3rd Gear

New member reviving this older thread.

New-to-me 2004 GX470 since Sept 2019. It has 177k miles. I am now experiencing the bouncy rear end - seems like it started about a month ago.

I've exercised the ride height controls and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. The height measurements of rear fender edge to pavement were 36.5" on H, 35.25" on N, and 34" on L. They were very even on both sides.

With the vehicle off, when I push down hard on the rear bumper and let go, it bounces a small amount about 4 times. On my other non-Lexus vehicles there isn't even 1 bounce. I've always known this issue to be bad shocks, but that would be for regular springs, not air springs.

How can I discern if it is the airbags or the shocks? Is there a tell-tale way to know?

I am trying to avoid the dealer. I went to the dealer yesterday to buy simple clips for the cargo door handle, and he kept on trying to sell me on the entire interior panel. Dealers can be very frustrating.

Thanks...
Old 06-16-20, 01:02 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 993 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by trocket
New member reviving this older thread.

New-to-me 2004 GX470 since Sept 2019. It has 177k miles. I am now experiencing the bouncy rear end - seems like it started about a month ago.

I've exercised the ride height controls and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. The height measurements of rear fender edge to pavement were 36.5" on H, 35.25" on N, and 34" on L. They were very even on both sides.

With the vehicle off, when I push down hard on the rear bumper and let go, it bounces a small amount about 4 times. On my other non-Lexus vehicles there isn't even 1 bounce. I've always known this issue to be bad shocks, but that would be for regular springs, not air springs.

How can I discern if it is the airbags or the shocks? Is there a tell-tale way to know?

I am trying to avoid the dealer. I went to the dealer yesterday to buy simple clips for the cargo door handle, and he kept on trying to sell me on the entire interior panel. Dealers can be very frustrating.

Thanks...
Shocks. Springs (and Airbags) provide the bounce ... Shocks provide the damping. Your issue is no damping.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 01:32 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Shocks. Springs (and Airbags) provide the bounce ... Shocks provide the damping. Your issue is no damping.
Agreed. And if you're needing to replace the shocks, I wouldn't even consider replacing with OEM Lexus or stock style aftermarket electronic damping units. For less money you can replace all 4 shocks with something that has a much more performance oriented ride, providing better comfort and control on and off road.

If you were so inclined, for about the cost of OEM style replacement shocks off ebay you could buy new shocks, and convert to rear coils and all new springs as well, then you can go anywhere from near stock height to 2.5" of lift, before you need to add things like upper control arms, extended brake lines, etc. to go higher than that. There's so many spring options that you can find a combination that would level out the rake or keep it, you could go with near stock height but stiffer spring rate for better ride and handling, or 2.5" lift with the same benefits, or anything in between.

Some people like to retain the rear air suspension, I don't miss it. I tow a 2-place snowmobile trailer with a big salt shield, it's pulls like a parachute but not a pile of tongue wait. The truck tows nicer with the Dobinsons suspension than it did stock as it's so much more stable, less body movement, more predictable. The tongue weight isn't enough to be a problem lifting the hitch onto the ball that I would have used the rear air up and down function anyways, but I can see that being great if you had a big boat or camper. The rear suspension doesn't sag when it's loaded with gear due to the higher spring rate. There's less bodyroll, acceleration squat, and brake dive as well.

The suspension upgrade transformed the truck, it's much more fun to drive now. I went with a 2F/1R lift from Dobinsons, to level out the rake. Twintube shocks in black, comfort valved in the rear.

The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 01:41 PM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Yeah, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. As I was dead set on keeping the bags. Now though,I have been researching From the tried and true 5100 billies, to an OME set up.
Old 06-16-20, 01:57 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rygar470
Yeah, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. As I was dead set on keeping the bags. Now though,I have been researching From the tried and true 5100 billies, to an OME set up.
I went Bilstein 5100's and ditched the AVS Shocks ... replacement cost is a joke for the performance. Note that with the 5100's ... the OEM front spring will not be adequately compressed when assembled given the 5100's are slightly longer, so I went with a 1.25" lift in front (minimum required to JUST achieve assembled spring compression) ... and adjusted the rear air bag neutral sensor to match the front, maintaining the stock rake angle. Improvement in handling, steering response, body roll, brake dive were all a significant improvement over the AVS shocks. Wife loved the change ... also went with E-Rated 265/70-17 tires to fill out the wheel wells.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
IanB2 (06-16-20), Rygar470 (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 02:09 PM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ASE
I went Bilstein 5100's and ditched the AVS Shocks ... replacement cost is a joke for the performance. Note that with the 5100's ... the OEM front spring will not be adequately compressed when assembled given the 5100's are slightly longer, so I went with a 1.25" lift in front (minimum required to JUST achieve assembled spring compression) ... and adjusted the rear air bag neutral sensor to match the front, maintaining the stock rake angle. Improvement in handling, steering response, body roll, brake dive were all a significant improvement over the AVS shocks. Wife loved the change ... also went with E-Rated 265/70-17 tires to fill out the wheel wells.
Oh okay, so you decided to keep the airbags... I was thinking of just doing 5100 all the way around and getting some springs to match. Upto a desired 2/2.5" lift, as to not warrant adding an aftermarket UCA set. Yes, looking at it from a cost perspective solution. How are you looking the E-rated tires, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-16-20, 02:13 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rygar470
Oh okay, so you decided to keep the airbags... I was thinking of just doing 5100 all the way around and getting some springs to match. Upto a desired 2/2.5" lift, as to not warrant adding an aftermarket UCA set. Yes, looking at it from a cost perspective solution. How are you looking the E-rated tires, if you don't mind me asking?
Not sure your question ?
Old 06-16-20, 02:22 PM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ASE
Not sure your question ?
lol damn autocorrect.. I meant, "How are you liking your E-rated tires.

Quick Reply: GX470 Bouncy Ride