GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking at purchasing an 04 GX470, want some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 07:23 AM
fog80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at purchasing an 04 GX470, want some advice

Hey guys,

I've been shopping the suv market for the last few weeks because my family has outgrown my Acura 3.2TL.

I was interested in the Maxda CX 9 but it just seems to high a price for a Mazda. The Grand Touring is topping out in the high 30's.

I started looking at used Lexus LX470's because I wanted the third row seat capability and wound up finding an 04 GX470 with a third row seat (didnt know they even had them) for a reasonable price.

What do you guys think of a 04 GX470 with 60k for 21k? It doesnt have the nav system (which is fine with me, i already have a portable). The price seems right and I would much rather have a lexus than a mazda.

Is there any reason I should pass on a 04 GX470? Thanks guys.
Old 08-05-08, 09:50 AM
tomv2008
Driver School Candidate

I was in the same boat as you. I looked at the CX-9, but it got rather pricey with the right options, then spotted a 2003 GX, with 39,000 miles and certified warranty. We bought and have really liked it. I think it is a great choice.
Old 08-05-08, 10:34 AM
fog80
Driver

cool, its good to know im not alone in considering the mazda and lexus.

does the 03 feel outdated at all compared to the mazda? the same dealership has a 03 gx with 60k miles with every feature (audio, nav etc) for 22k. Its just 1k over the cost of the 04 but it is a year older.

I want something I can drive for the long haul.
Old 08-05-08, 10:47 AM
blkjack
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the right price. And also a great car.
Old 08-05-08, 10:48 AM
tomv2008
Driver School Candidate

The 03 GX still feels very currrent. It helps that the new ones on the showroom floor are nearly identical. Perhaps when the new version (2010?) comes out it will start to look a bit dated. It is a matter of taste, but compared to the Mazda, I think the GX looks much better on the exterior, and feels roomier on the interior. I think the GX has a real quality feel (it is a Lexus after all ) where the Mazda interior felt "cheap", even in it's premium versions.
Old 08-05-08, 04:25 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Most of the time i can't tell what year model gx that i see on the road is so our cars are not outdated yet until they get a body make over. Only thing i can tell a difference are the door handles. The new ones come with chrome ones i believe.
Old 08-08-08, 12:41 PM
fog80
Driver

thats what i thought, even the 03-04's look new when i see them on the road, and i just love this body style.

the only difference i can find between the 03 and 04 is the side curtain airbags on the 04.

i might stay on the 04 side because it has a slightly smaller engine (more fuel efficient) than the 05 + and I heard that the newer ones require premium fuel while the older ones dont.
Old 08-08-08, 02:32 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by fog80
thats what i thought, even the 03-04's look new when i see them on the road, and i just love this body style.

the only difference i can find between the 03 and 04 is the side curtain airbags on the 04.

i might stay on the 04 side because it has a slightly smaller engine (more fuel efficient) than the 05 + and I heard that the newer ones require premium fuel while the older ones dont.
Couple minor clarifications:

The GX (including the original '03 model) has always come standard with both side airbags and side curtain airbags.

The '03/'04 engine is the same size (4.7L) as the later engine, but starting in '05 it added variable valve timing which gave it a bit more power and I believe it was the newer engine that was actually rated by EPA as getting an extra mpg on the highway. (Remember that starting in '08 mileage went down due to new EPA testing procedure, NOT because of any real drop in efficiency).

I believe the only difference btwn '03 and '04 is they added rear view camera for '04 and tweaked the design of the little rear fascia piece directly above the hitch.

As far as getting an '04, I'd recommend getting a CPO from Lexus. While GX is an extremely high quality vehicle, if/when things break down they are relatively expensive to repair (e.g., clunk fix, rear air suspension, etc).

Last edited by GatorGreg; 08-08-08 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 10:59 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

I've had my 03 for over a year and haven't had a problem with it. I think thats a good price. i've put almost 30k on it. I actually considered an fx or murano but i'm glad i got a used gx instead. The quality seems so much better.
Old 08-18-08, 12:27 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fog80
What do you guys think of a 04 GX470 with 60k for 21k? It doesnt have the nav system (which is fine with me, i already have a portable). The price seems right and I would much rather have a lexus than a mazda.

Is there any reason I should pass on a 04 GX470? Thanks guys.
Sounds like you are looking at a couple of pretty good deals, assuming they'er in good condition and have been properly cared for. I have 89K miles on my '03 and it's never had anything go wrong with it. Personally, I wouldn't pay much for an extended warranty -- I'd take my chances on these vehicles. Re: Nav, I'd rather NOT have it because I like the accessibility of the HVAC and radio controls on the non-Nav version better. I have Nav on my LS430 and it's a PITA to switch around to the various functions via the screen instead of just adjusting whatever I want to adjust directly. Then again, I rarely go anywhere I don't know where I'm going, so Nav is just not something I'd use much.

On the rare chance that you own your own business and plan to take advantage of the "over 6000 GVW" tax savings thing, I THINK the 2003 was rated one pound under the threshold, whereas the newer models were upped by one pound to take advantage of the offer. I'm not certain about this part, but I think it's the case -- check it out if this applies to your situation.
Old 08-21-08, 10:10 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

GO WITH THE GX! Especially at that price point, assuming of course it's been cared for. Presumably that is asking price so you can probably talk him down some. It will outlast that Mazda that's for sure, not to mention it just looks way cooler!

Last edited by cssnms; 08-25-08 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-30-08, 02:08 PM
SHARONR
Driver School Candidate

Default we are selling our 03gx470

We owe 19k on it. It is a modified vehical with custom rare chrome grill, chrome handles, two sets of mats, chrome rims. another set of brand new never opened chrome rims. And another brand new never opened lexus rims with blizzak tires on it. It is loaded. The only problem we had with it is that the clearcoat peeled a bit and we are getting ready to fight lexus over it. it seems to be common. Sanddollar metalic. We love it more than you know. but we are getting ready to have another kid. Might be 4 boys total and we just need to get a van. With all the new rims that easily was well over 3k invested just in that. Over 1k invested in the chrome package. We are hoping to get upwards of 10k plus take over payments of 460. Maybe less on the cash. If we did not have all the extra new rims, it would of course be lower. But this is a one of a kind deal. We treated it really good and have had it for about 1 1/2.
Old 09-01-08, 07:01 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Go for the GX. Our '04 now has 41K on it and have only needed to get the clunk fixed (TSB permanently fixed the prob). My wife consistly gets 16.5-17mpg in mixed driving and even after 4 years, we both love it as if it were brand new.

I have never seen a GX without Nav. I knew it was an option, but every one I've seen has had it. If not having it doesn't bother you, you might even be able to get the price down a bit, especially if it doesn't have the M/L stereo either.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-08, 06:43 AM
mkupchyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SHARONR
....It is a modified vehical with custom rare chrome grill, chrome handles, two sets of mats, chrome rims. another set of brand new never opened chrome rims. And another brand new never opened lexus rims with blizzak tires on it....
Just curious, where do you store 8 extra wheels & tires? my wife would have a fit if I took up that much space in our garage.

To OP, seems like a good deal, but in this economy shop around and you may get an even better deal, like an extra 1k savings or more. I have an '04 without NAV, and I agree with the poster who said he prefers not having it. I like the in dash 6-CD changer and having all the controls right there. Also with the portable Nav units selling like crazy and prices so low, you can buy an aftermarket unit for $100-200 and probably have more current maps, etc.
Old 09-18-08, 12:37 PM
fog80
Driver

thanks for the feedback guys. It seems like the gx's are started to disappear off the market. There arent many for sale in the md/dc/va area right now.

I will continue to keep an eye out for the right model, but im more confident in purchasing one after seeing all of the satisfied owners out there.

Quick Reply: Looking at purchasing an 04 GX470, want some advice