GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Access to backup lights/rear door insides

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 11:33 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Access to backup lights/rear door insides

OK So I have a 2003 GX and want a backup camera. Costco has one for $69 that does wireless to a small 3.5 in display that does not look to bad. The camera gets power from the car, ie backup lights on the car door would be easist it looks like. Just can't figure out how to get access, either removing the lenses or better yet getting the rear panel off. The owners manual basically suggest you take it to the dealer to replace a bulb

Anyone know how?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-23-08, 11:56 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting to the rear panel is pretty easy. I took it out a couple of weeks ago when I was installing my spoiler.
Old 04-23-08, 12:20 PM
gzorn
Pit Crew

KPHU - OK so how do you pop the lower rear panel off? If you don't mind
Old 04-23-08, 02:05 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

I don't recall every step off the top of my head but here's what I remember.

The first piece to take off is the top piece, you can just pull it off with some force. The same goes for the 2 side pieces.

For the bottom both sides are just snap in pieces that you can pull out. I recall a screw on the bottom and 2 clips underneath the door handle.

I'll take a look at it tonight and will post better instructions.

Ken
Old 04-23-08, 06:09 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

I took a look at it again and the top pieces are as I mentioned above, their just in place by some clips.

So on the bottom piece start with the panel on the bottom left (hidden tools). You turn the 2 ***** to unlatch it. Remove the tools buy pulling it straight up. Remove the panel cover by wiggling it out. On the bottom right side is a belt latch. Where the belt latch goes into the panel and comes out take a flat head screw driver and pry the top and bottom plastic square pieces out. With this 2 plastic square piece out there should be 1 if not 2 screws to behind it to loosen. Take the screw(s)/nut(s) out. Next the interior door handle. Lift it up and underneath you'll see a plastic cover on both left and right side. Pull it straight out, it acts as a locking mechanism. The next part is the hardest part which really isn't so hard. Pull the door handle out, you might need some force or use the aid of a flat screw driver covered with a rag so you don't puncture anything. The back piece of the door handle that connects to the inside looks like a plastic arrow so it latches from top and bottom. (Might be hard to understand until you get the door handle out.)

From there just pull on each side of the panel until the clips pops out.

If you need better instructions I'll see about getting some pics but I can tell you getting the door handle back in was somewhat of a PIA so I'm hesitant to take it back out.
Old 04-27-08, 06:45 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Default Camera installed

I got the molding removed and installed a backup camera system from Costco ($70) Thanks KPHU for the hints

Below are the steps and some pictures (I will put them in seperate notes). I used a small flat balde screwdriver with a cloth on the shaft to pull the molding up enough I could get my fingers underneath to pry them out. Note the top and side moldings are held in with tabs and the bottom panel with a screw and pop rivets.

1) Remove the top molding. Be care to pull straight out from the flat part of the molding or you will break the tabs

2) Remove the side moldings. Be care to pull straight out from the flat part of the molding or you will break the tabs

3) Remove the bottom panel by

a) Remove the tool kit from the left side of the door
b) Remove the covers over the straps on the bottom right. The top of the strap has a screw that needs to be removed and the bottom on covers a blue/green pop rivet
c) Interior door handle. Pull up the handle and remove the small covers underneath by pulling straight out. Then pull out the handle.
d) Work your way around the outside of the panel and you will hear the plastic rivets pop out. When done you will need to pull the whole panel out to pop the rivets in the center of the panel

4) Remove the license plate

5) I drilled a hole straight up next to the license plate lights and tapped into the backup lights power, since they are part of the door. This hides the wiring and hole from the outside.

6) Reverse the steps to put back together.

Will let you know how it all works after using it for a while
Old 04-27-08, 08:15 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Default Side molding

Side molding from around the window. Note the tabs
Attached Thumbnails Access to backup lights/rear door insides-side_molding.jpg  
Old 04-27-08, 08:17 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Default Full rear view

View of full rear with all molding removed except top
Attached Thumbnails Access to backup lights/rear door insides-full_rear.jpg  
Old 04-27-08, 08:18 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Default Bottom rear

Closeup of the bottom rear with panel removed. All wiring was done behind the plastic sheath
Attached Thumbnails Access to backup lights/rear door insides-bottom_rear.jpg  
Old 04-27-08, 08:20 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Default Bottom panel

Full view of the inside of the bottom panel
Attached Thumbnails Access to backup lights/rear door insides-bottom_panel.jpg  
Old 04-27-08, 08:22 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Default Cargo strap brace

This is a view of the cargo strap brace on the back of the panel. Top of brace has a bolt and bottom a pop rivet, why they did not put bolts on both I don't understand
Attached Thumbnails Access to backup lights/rear door insides-strap_rivet.jpg  
Old 04-28-08, 06:36 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

gzorn...great pics...glad everything went smoothly. I've considered installing a rear backup camera for mine as well, however I would like it to tap into navi so please provide your opinion on what you have.

Thanks!

Ken
Old 04-29-08, 04:11 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Tying it into the nav screen would have been nice but to much trouble and wiring would be a pita.

For the couple days I have used it here are my views, it does what advertised. The view is good and the little lcd display does sit nicely on top of the seat heater switches. You can swivel the camera up and down so it should be usable with a trailer hitch, have not tried this yet.

Downsides...As they note it may interfer with bluetooth, I do notice static on my headset when the camera is energized. So I am happy of tying into the backup lights instead of the license plate lights. The lcd screen also flickers when not receiving a signal so I power it off when not in use.
Old 05-01-08, 07:17 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

gzorn...when you have the time you mind snapping a pic of the display preferably when its on so I can see the pic? I'd like to see how it looks in the car and how the rear view is. Also do you know what type of camera it is i.e CCD or CMOS?

Thanks!

Ken
Old 10-23-17, 08:22 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I know this is an old thread but the pics made this a snap to swap out a broken reverse light that was smashed by debris when I was caught in the Santa Barbara micro burst earlier this year.

Quick Reply: Access to backup lights/rear door insides