GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Leaking Fluid Under Car, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 07:17 PM
gthoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Fluid Under Car, Need Help!

Hello......

I have a 2003 Lexus GX470 and its leaking fluid....Seems to be the transfer case?? Not sure.......I uploaded a picture.....There is a red square where it is leaking....Please take a look at this picture and let me know whats going on, and also if this is an easy fix.....or difficult.....Seems to be a gasket between the black case and transfer case?? Thanks for any advice....

Gene
Attached Thumbnails Leaking Fluid Under Car, Need Help!-img_0882e.jpg  

Last edited by gthoman; 12-16-07 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-07, 08:03 PM
gthoman
Driver School Candidate

Default Another photo...

Here is another photo from a distance......Thank you for any help you can give......
Attached Thumbnails Leaking Fluid Under Car, Need Help!-img_0881c.jpg  
Old 12-17-07, 08:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Sorry I don't know these vehicles too well. But the transfer case fluid (gear fluid) has a nasty egg like smell over time. Depending on what type of fluid is used, most are dark or yellowish when it comes out.

Transmission fluid is red.
Old 12-17-07, 06:17 PM
gthoman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply...I do believe this is gear fluid..Its a yellowish color and does have a nasty smell. It seems this might be the Shift actuator that is connected to the transfer case...The oil seems to be leaking from the connection point....Not sure if this is a gasket or how its connected. There are only 3 bolts holding it on, but do not want to take it off until I know something more about it.........Anyone ever seen this??
Old 12-17-07, 06:46 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gthoman
Hello......

I have a 2003 Lexus GX470 and its leaking fluid....Seems to be the transfer case?? Not sure.......I uploaded a picture.....There is a red square where it is leaking....Please take a look at this picture and let me know whats going on, and also if this is an easy fix.....or difficult.....Seems to be a gasket between the black case and transfer case?? Thanks for any advice....

Gene
A few months ago while my GX was being serviced at the dealer, the service consultant told me the tech had spotted a leak from the transfer case. The tech replaced an O-ring. When I got home, I checked the garage floor before driving the GX inside and there were a few drops of oil there. Good timing on my part and good luck to have had an attentive tech working on my GX. I don't know enough about the transfer case to say it's the same problem as yours.
Old 12-23-07, 12:48 AM
samolgx470
Driver School Candidate

It is the transfer case fluid that is leaking. I got mine fixed at dealer last week. If your car is under 70k (under Powertrain Warranty), go to the dealer and get it fixed. It is the O-Ring that is bad. They will replace the O-Ring and Gasket.

Sam
Old 12-29-07, 05:43 PM
gthoman
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately mine has 85000 miles.....Here is the rest of the story...This is really an amaing story and makes me wonder about the Lexus name.....Just bought a used 2003 GX470. I started to see a leak under the car and brought it to a mechanic I trust(very few of them around). The leak was between the transfer case and the shift actuator(some people refer to this as the black box). He called our local Lexus dealer and they said the shift actuator needed to be replaced, around $1300. This is a gear box that has electric components and gears, there was no problem with shifting or sounds...seemed the box was in perfect shape except for a gasket.....The Lexus dealer said they just replaced the entire component(shift actuator). My mechanic sent me to a friend of his since he doesn't do alot of transmission work, he tried the same thing(called Lexus) and got the same story from Lexus...its one piece and you have to replace is all. He disconnected the shift actuator and pulled out the problem gasket. He was able to read the company name(NOK) and model number BR6810E. Lexus doesn't sell this as a seperate piece and the NOK distributor said they didn't recognize this number from the gasket. He was able to give them the size of the problem gasket and they believe they have matched it.......I have sent a complaint to Lexus and waiting to hear from them...but this is absolutely ridiculous. Anyone else seen this?? Still waiting on the gasket to see if it will fit...
Thanks for all the replies. There is a gasket kit that Lexus has, but that gasket does not fit the one for the shift actuator....He said he could stop the leak by just replacing the o-ring but eventually it would leak and fill the shift actuator box and cause more problems.....Any help/comments would be appreciated....
Old 01-15-08, 10:33 AM
LexiGx470
Driver School Candidate

Mine is exactly the same. 2003 model with 92k. No solution yet but spend more $$ on it.
Old 01-16-08, 06:00 PM
justfixit
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Probably your condition.
Attached Thumbnails Leaking Fluid Under Car, Need Help!-gx_transfer.jpg  
Old 01-16-08, 08:33 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem with a leak. I didn't know where it was coming from. I thought it was from the oil pan plug. Took it to the dealer and they found the leak. Told me that they had to keep the car another day as they had ordered a part. Picked it up the next day and the invoice stated that they had replaced the Transfer Case. It didn't make sense until today when I read the above postings. The work was done under warranty.

~ Cap
Old 01-21-08, 02:39 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by justfixit
Probably your condition.
That is exactly what it is. It is a pretty involved job. You have to remove the transfer case from the vehicle and take it apart to get to the o-ring. If you are a good service customer, sometimes you can get those types of things goodwilled depending on your dealer.

Goodluck.
Old 08-12-09, 10:42 AM
TO4ALTYM
Driver School Candidate

I am in the same boat!!!!!!... have the girl in the transmission shop as I type,,, am unable to find the inner seal,, not the o-ring that connects the black box to the transfer case.. will turn him on to the NOX site ,,, thanks for any other replies... have not been able to drive it for a few months,, am in the northwoods where there are nooo Lexus dealers,, just a great tranny shop!!! Lauren
Old 02-17-11, 07:24 PM
nbeihl
Driver

I just noticed that I have the same issue.

It appears as though it has been a while since anyone posted on this thread. What was the final outcome? I hope I do not have to drop $1500 to get a $2 seal.
Old 02-17-11, 09:48 PM
SIERRAGX
Driver School Candidate

That is the transfer case leaking,mine had the same problem,leaked from the same location, fixed by lexus.
Old 02-19-11, 06:06 AM
nbeihl
Driver

When you say "fixed by Lexus," does that mean you paid Lexus to fix it, or did Lexus fix it within your warranty, or did Lexus fix it for free after your warranty was expired, but fixed it under the TSIB TC007-06?

I may end up letting Lexus fix it depending on the cost.

Quick Reply: Leaking Fluid Under Car, Need Help!