GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Can I hook up LCD to factory DVD unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 01:26 PM
skim07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can I hook up LCD to factory DVD unit?

2007 GX with navi...mark levinson audio(6 disc cd/dvd changer)...no rear entertainment.

I don't have the rear entertainment option. but i do have cd/dvd changer in the glove.

I can hear the audio from a DVD video disc but obviously do not get the picture in the navi screen....

can I add LCD screens or other form of display directly to factory dvd player?

or would I need to buy an overhead LCD dvd player and have it completely isolated on its own?

I would like to just buyt 2 LCD and mount it on headrest or something....
Old 10-18-07, 08:38 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Video out

It is technically possible to get the video out of the OEM dvd player and route it to the headrest LCDs. However, I have not done this on a 2007. You need to get the wiring diagram for the 2007 and check for the video out from the DVD changer. If it's a simple NTSC composite out then you can tap into the video signal by attaching a RCA plug there...use the signal ground for the -ve. Feed the video composite signal to a video amplifier and connect the headrest LCDs to the amplifier.

Again, I have not done this on a 2007 but it should be possible. Check with an installer.
Old 10-19-07, 07:32 AM
skim07
Driver

well, have you done it on any other year GX then?
Old 10-20-07, 09:15 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skim07
well, have you done it on any other year GX then?
On my friend's 2004 and getting ready to do it on my new (to me) 2006. Will buy a set of vizualogic headrest monitors. As I said earlier, on the older models, the NTSC video signal can be tapped to feed an external LCD. Video feed to the NAV screen is difficult as it's a RGB type connection.

Check with an installer for your 2007.
Old 10-26-07, 12:30 PM
jdmallthe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skim07
2007 GX with navi...mark levinson audio(6 disc cd/dvd changer)...no rear entertainment.

I don't have the rear entertainment option. but i do have cd/dvd changer in the glove.

I can hear the audio from a DVD video disc but obviously do not get the picture in the navi screen....

can I add LCD screens or other form of display directly to factory dvd player?

or would I need to buy an overhead LCD dvd player and have it completely isolated on its own?

I would like to just buyt 2 LCD and mount it on headrest or something....

have you try to pull the e brake and see if you can watch the dvd yet, if so email me and i might be able to help you, i am a installer, in coral springs, floirda my number 954-536-7944 let me know
Old 11-27-07, 07:07 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdmallthe
have you try to pull the e brake and see if you can watch the dvd yet, if so email me and i might be able to help you, i am a installer, in coral springs, floirda my number 954-536-7944 let me know
My new 2007 GX470 has the below options that either came with the SUV or installed by the dealer at the time or purchase:

1. Mark Levinson Stereo
2. Navigation System
3. Bluetooth Phone
4. 6 CD/DVD Changer in glove box
5. Dual Headrest DVD players that are in no way connected to
the DVD changer, stereo, or navigation system

Is it possible to feed the video and audio from the 6 CD/DVD changer to one of the headrest DVD players? My wife and I would like to have the flexibility to start a movie or change the movie that my son is watching in the headrest from the front seat while the car is in motion. I am not sure from the chart what is meant by “enable video/audio inputs”. If it means that the navigation system or changer now has the capability to receive video/audio from an alternative source than this is no good for me. I want the changer or navigation system to be the source for the headrest DVD player. The dual headrests both have auxiliary A/V input ports for game, MP3, etc.

Since I did not get the rear DVD player with monitor from the ceiling, would my 2007 SUV come prewired with wires in the console that I could use?

Thanks,
Dsmiles1