GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Intermittent Poor Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 08:32 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
that doesnt help mine all the time. it rides really nice when fuel tank is full or really empty. I want to change the rear air ride into regular springs and shocks.
Remember when mine was "fixed" a few months back? It's still not doing the "bottoming out" sensation for the most part, but when the fuel tank is near empty (1/4 tank or less) it does the bottoming-out sensation noticeably.

It's at the dealership being diagnosed as we speak, and while there they also found a faulty fuel pump which is being replaced under warranty. I'll follow-up here on the ride situation once I get the GX back tomorrow.
Old 02-10-11, 05:08 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by N305AS
Remember when mine was "fixed" a few months back? It's still not doing the "bottoming out" sensation for the most part, but when the fuel tank is near empty (1/4 tank or less) it does the bottoming-out sensation noticeably.

It's at the dealership being diagnosed as we speak, and while there they also found a faulty fuel pump which is being replaced under warranty. I'll follow-up here on the ride situation once I get the GX back tomorrow.
did you get the truck back?
Old 02-11-11, 10:02 PM
N305AS
Rookie

did you get the truck back?
I did, yes. The fuel pump (actually, fuel pressure regulator) was taken care of without incident and was 100% covered under warranty.

The "bottoming out" sensation? I had a tech take a ride with me and he acknowledged it was present and pretty harsh (only when the tank is nearly empty - otherwise it's not noticeable). They kept the truck for two days, and I was told they were waiting on a word back from Lexus because they didn't know what else they could do - previously, they'd replaced the shocks, replaced the height sensors, and even corrected the whole 'oops-we-tightened-everything-while-on-the-rack-and-it-should-be-done-on-the-ground' thing, and now they were stumped as to what else they could do to make the ride better.

I picked up the truck and a day later, heard from the dealership that Lexus did not have any additional info or suggestions.

So basically, it sounds like mine is as about as best as it can get - no bottoming-out unless 1/4 tank or less. And even then it only occurs when going over bumps really slowly.
Old 02-12-11, 05:47 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I did, yes. The fuel pump (actually, fuel pressure regulator) was taken care of without incident and was 100% covered under warranty.

The "bottoming out" sensation? I had a tech take a ride with me and he acknowledged it was present and pretty harsh (only when the tank is nearly empty - otherwise it's not noticeable). They kept the truck for two days, and I was told they were waiting on a word back from Lexus because they didn't know what else they could do - previously, they'd replaced the shocks, replaced the height sensors, and even corrected the whole 'oops-we-tightened-everything-while-on-the-rack-and-it-should-be-done-on-the-ground' thing, and now they were stumped as to what else they could do to make the ride better.

I picked up the truck and a day later, heard from the dealership that Lexus did not have any additional info or suggestions.

So basically, it sounds like mine is as about as best as it can get - no bottoming-out unless 1/4 tank or less. And even then it only occurs when going over bumps really slowly.
so , can we rule out the driveshaft having something to do with it? i swear this all started when i went in for that.
Old 02-13-11, 03:25 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RE: driveshaft replacement, I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I broke the bolts loose on my trailing arms and re-torqued them, at "ride height", and noticed a subtle but significant improvement in ride. The bushings visibly "snapped" into position when I broke the bolts loose.
Old 02-13-11, 07:00 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stiles_s
RE: driveshaft replacement, I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I broke the bolts loose on my trailing arms and re-torqued them, at "ride height", and noticed a subtle but significant improvement in ride. The bushings visibly "snapped" into position when I broke the bolts loose.
i tried this too, and it didnt do anything for me. i would like to take off the driveshaft and drive it around just to rule it out. would it move in front wheel only?
Old 02-15-11, 01:13 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

What if we just replaced the air bags with fj springs to feel the difference? Who wants to take one for the team? Lol!
Old 02-15-11, 07:45 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Chris, if you tend go the coil way, then you should do all four suggested. If you want to stick the OEM way, then replace the Compressor Solenoid, that's it, the job if you do it privately would be around 1-2 hours, provided he is pro. The stealership would rip your purse for 1000/- plus #$%^& and free cookies and coffee.
Old 02-16-11, 07:42 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mann777
Chris, if you tend go the coil way, then you should do all four suggested. If you want to stick the OEM way, then replace the Compressor Solenoid, that's it, the job if you do it privately would be around 1-2 hours, provided he is pro. The stealership would rip your purse for 1000/- plus #$%^& and free cookies and coffee.
what is the compressor solenoid? is that why my compression and rebound in the rear way off?
Old 02-17-11, 02:59 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same exact thing going on with mine. Its just sad that LEXUS cant fix it..... Amazingly disappointing to me
Old 02-19-11, 07:43 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Chris, sorry I was on travel....if you could go to the auto zone, and see if a error is stored in the ECM C1735, sometimes this error code, will generate a flashing lite on your cluster and sometimes not. It is related to the Vehicle Height Control System, And the fault code is Exhaust Solenoid Valve Circuit. Due to moisture intrusion, most of the 2003 and 2004 models have been effected with the solenoid and Lexus brought in a new design to the solenoid and avoid the moisture intrusion. The part number is 48910-60020. If your VIN production is after these JTJBT20X840057316, then you have to change regardless of the fault, This is the Compressor Height Control Assembly. Toyota Released a TSB to this effect - SU002-05. if you are under Comprehensive Warranty, this should be done free, if not you may have to pay for it. The job involves 25 mts, you can do it yoruself,just basic tooling required.
Old 02-19-11, 09:50 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mann777
Chris, sorry I was on travel....if you could go to the auto zone, and see if a error is stored in the ECM C1735, sometimes this error code, will generate a flashing lite on your cluster and sometimes not. It is related to the Vehicle Height Control System, And the fault code is Exhaust Solenoid Valve Circuit. Due to moisture intrusion, most of the 2003 and 2004 models have been effected with the solenoid and Lexus brought in a new design to the solenoid and avoid the moisture intrusion. The part number is 48910-60020. If your VIN production is after these JTJBT20X840057316, then you have to change regardless of the fault, This is the Compressor Height Control Assembly. Toyota Released a TSB to this effect - SU002-05. if you are under Comprehensive Warranty, this should be done free, if not you may have to pay for it. The job involves 25 mts, you can do it yoruself,just basic tooling required.
thanks mann777. but i dont have any faults. the dealer would have said someting. Would 4runner springs work in place of airbags?
Old 02-20-11, 03:03 AM
N305AS
Rookie

thanks mann777. but i dont have any faults. the dealer would have said someting. Would 4runner springs work in place of airbags?
Has anyone looked at trying this?

http://www.strutmasters.com/Lexus-GX.../-gx470-r1.htm
Old 02-20-11, 10:20 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

One more question mann777, which part of the air suspension determines the compression and rebound? shocks or air bags or combination? seems like the shocks would prevent the bottoming or the excessive rebounding, right?
Old 02-20-11, 10:27 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I think it would be better to get fj or 4runner springs and some quality shocks like bilsteins for that price. Remember, our gx is built on same platform as 4runner/prado.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Poor Ride