GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

08 GX now on Lexus.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 05:58 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by super_cjc
Last month my dealer gave me a GS300AWD as loaner. I think the ignition button works like the followings:
Touch the button once will turn on accessories like the radio.
Touch the button twice will turn on check engine light....
Need to press/hold the button for 1-2 seconds to start the engine. I think that's a safety feature.

I am not saying that the key works better than button or vice versa, just don't think it's a big deal.
I know you weren't knocking the button... I have both anyway. On all Lexus cars with the button, you can step on the brake pedal and touch the button once, and the engine will start right up. If you don't step on the brake, you indeed go through ACC and ON.

Re. the new GX, I'm curious to see what the red looks like in person. I have to concur with the comments above regarding the wood.

Also, when I first heard they were putting chrome around the speakers on the 08 GX, I thought it would look nice, the way it looks on the LX, but IMHO, it looks awfully tacky. Guess I can't see myself parting with my '04!
Old 08-20-07, 08:03 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
No offense to anyone who has an '08 on order, but the new "medium brown walnut" trim doesn't look as nice IMO as the previous years' birds eye maple, here's a pic of the walnut:

Here's a pic of the prior years' maple:

Walnut might look better with a dark inteior - but with the light interior I think the maple looks much better.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the GX have two Gear shifters?
Old 08-20-07, 08:35 PM
vipers5397
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Lol. Yes, it has two. One for the driver and the other for passenger. Since they cannot watch DVDs in the front, the passenger needed something to do.

Sorry, I'll let someone else provide a real answer. . I know what it does, just not sure how to explain it, other than saying the large one is a basic shifter, the other, smaller one for low/high gear.
Old 08-21-07, 06:12 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caha14
I know you weren't knocking the button... I have both anyway. On all Lexus cars with the button, you can step on the brake pedal and touch the button once, and the engine will start right up. If you don't step on the brake, you indeed go through ACC and ON.
Thank you for the info
Old 08-21-07, 07:02 AM
Aristanet
Driver

Originally Posted by vipers5397
Lol. Yes, it has two. One for the driver and the other for passenger. Since they cannot watch DVDs in the front, the passenger needed something to do.

Sorry, I'll let someone else provide a real answer. . I know what it does, just not sure how to explain it, other than saying the large one is a basic shifter, the other, smaller one for low/high gear.
lol
Old 08-21-07, 08:13 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

The small one is for the two speed transfer case, it's almost always in Hi which is a 1.00:1 gear. You can shift it to Lo which gives you an extra 2.56:1 gear which increases your crawl ratio - great for going up and down steep hills off-road. You can sort of think of it like accessing the 2 different hi/low gears on the crankshaft of a 10 speed bike. Most 4wheel drive junkies will tell you you're not driving a "real truck" if you don't have a transfer case

Not many 4WD vehicles have the old fashioned lever for the transfer case anymore - most have some sort of switch, for example the 4Runner has a dial on the dash. But the lever is better IMO cuz you can hang a trash bag from it
Old 08-21-07, 08:15 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

GatorGreg beat me to the punch. I'll just add that I prefer the lever over a button for the transfer case because there is less to go wrong. I've seen more than one domestic 4x4 PU that would not shift into low range because of a faulty switch or button. Usally you don't find out something like that isn't working until you really need it.

Last edited by Cabinetman; 08-21-07 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-21-07, 08:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Not a big fan of those chrome speaker grills and the door handles, and whats up with the one clear tail light and one is not clear?
Old 08-21-07, 08:48 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by The G Man
Not a big fan of those chrome speaker grills and the door handles, and whats up with the one clear tail light and one is not clear?
I'm thinking they just used a recycled pic from a prior year and photoshopped the clear signal on the left but forgot the one behind the door on the right
Old 08-21-07, 08:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, thats pretty low tech. When I 1st heard the 08 will have clear tail lights. I was thinking the whole tail light would be clear, like on the RX350.
Old 08-21-07, 09:01 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lol, thats pretty low tech. When I 1st heard the 08 will have clear tail lights. I was thinking the whole tail light would be clear, like on the RX350.
Yeah I'm thinking the 2nd pic in this thread is also just a photoshpped '03 The bumper cut out for the hitch looks like the distinctive '03 variety to my eyes.

I assumed the lights would look like what they did by adding upper clear instead of amber turns. But I also assumed they'd be changing out the bottom tails/brakes for LED
Old 08-21-07, 10:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I don’t see the amber turn on the other light, the mystery continues lol.
Old 08-21-07, 04:40 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool You better believe it ....

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
You guys telling me that you will not purchase this because of the taillights? They are available separately though a bit funky in design IMO. Overall it is as expected as most in the know knew that the newer technologies wold not be incorporated into this model year. Sport model will appease those that do not care much for the soft touch fluffy interior that the wood provides. Looks good to me! It will do until the GX570 comes out.
When it comes down to personal taste, and the amount of money your spending. Your field of choices is quite large. And you should believe that someone wouldn't buy "it" for something that "trivial". There are a lot of excellent vehicles out there. And if some things "bug" you about a design, all the more reason to go with what does suit you. Any manufacturer in tune with their client base knows of such facts. And some completely miss the point. Personally, I think the lack of a Smart Key being standard, would keep me from buying this product again. Why does, Lexus, lag behind other manufacturers in such details.
Old 08-22-07, 10:30 AM
SirSkrip
Rookie

Hooray! My 2003 will still look good and up to date!
Old 08-22-07, 11:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The roof rack is only chrome in the middle, the end caps are still color keyed, looks kind of strange if you have a dark color.
Whats up with the red, IMO, red just dont look right on a GX. I guess I will reserve my final opinion until I see a red GX in real life.

Quick Reply: 08 GX now on Lexus.com