GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Uneasy ride quality.. 03 GX470.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 09:13 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uneasy ride quality.. 03 GX470.

Hello all-

I'm new to this board (GX Forum) but I do own 2 Lexus' right now. 04 LS430 and 01 GS430 (121K miles on it already).

This weekend, I testdrove 2 GX470s (03 with 46K and 03 with 60K miles on them). After a few blocks, the ride seems to be not as SMOOTH and tight that I am used to with my other cars. Granted that this is a TRUCK so I expected some difference specially on how it corners.

The thing corners great, but the ride on the straight away just seems overly bouncy to me. PLUS both trucks had the dreaded clunk everytime you slow down to a stop light.

Am I expecting tooo much out of this vehicle?

I also compared it to an 03 4Runner Limited V8 and the 4 runner was MUCH smoother than these GX's

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-23-07, 10:10 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Well the clunk is annoying but once the TSB is performed all's well again. Had mine fixed last week and it feels like a new vehicle now.

As for the ride quality I personally love GX, it just soaks up ruts and potholes almost like they're not even there. Most reviews of the GX when it came out all rave about the ride quality as well, however they're usually comparing it to other luxury SUVs, not 1st class sedans like the GS and LS that you are used to. Do you happen to remember what setting the adjustable suspension was on during your test drive? I usually have mine on Sport mode when I'm the only one in the vehicle but I'll set it to one of the more cushy settings if I have any passengers.
Old 07-23-07, 11:40 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

It was set to the NORMAL position..right in the middle of the dial I believe.

Mike
Old 07-23-07, 11:49 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

I would check the tire pressure.
Old 07-23-07, 12:02 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Tires also play a role. Which tires were installed? I drive with the ride selector on Sport at all times as I am not one for body roll but switch to soft when the family is in the truck and we are on city streets. In comparison I found the ride between he GX and 4runner to be similar though much quieter in the GX.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 07-23-07 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 12:24 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool Something about a pea ...

Originally Posted by FLIPPU
Hello all-

I'm new to this board (GX Forum) but I do own 2 Lexus' right now. 04 LS430 and 01 GS430 (121K miles on it already).

This weekend, I testdrove 2 GX470s (03 with 46K and 03 with 60K miles on them). After a few blocks, the ride seems to be not as SMOOTH and tight that I am used to with my other cars. Granted that this is a TRUCK so I expected some difference specially on how it corners.

The thing corners great, but the ride on the straight away just seems overly bouncy to me. PLUS both trucks had the dreaded clunk everytime you slow down to a stop light.

Am I expecting tooo much out of this vehicle?

I also compared it to an 03 4Runner Limited V8 and the 4 runner was MUCH smoother than these GX's

Thanks
Mike
I would suggest that if your test drives of 2 GX's seemed more harsh than 4Runners. That both of those GX's are broken in some way. In the last 3+ years that I have seen this forum, no one has ever made such a statement. But, there have been people who think the 4Runner is superior to the GX. But, I think they were at the wrong forum.
Old 07-23-07, 01:00 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
Most reviews of the GX when it came out all rave about the ride quality as well, however they're usually comparing it to other luxury SUVs, not 1st class sedans like the GS and LS that you are used to.
I double checked to make sure I didn't have a foggy memory on the subject - here's some excerpts related to the ride of the GX from several reviews when it first came out, all glowing. (The full reviews were posted by Thai at T4R.ORG )

From USA Today:
“The adjustable suspension has four settings, from soft and cushy — not quite mushy — to pleasantly firm. It's a useful span. The firmest setting helps the hefty truck cope well with corners, and it gives truck purists a tiny jiggle now and then to remind them they really are in a truck with a frame. In a midway position, the GX suspension lets occupants quickly forget they are in a truck and glide along on car illusions.”

Car & Driver:
“Highs: Silky V-8 and suspension, surprising muscle for a luxury SUV.”
“Terrific ride with the adjustable shocks set in comfort or sport mode.”
"The Verdict: Another home run for the Lexus lads."

Forbes.com:
"HIGHS: Lexus fit and finish; silky smooth V-8 and silky smooth ride."

Edmunds:
"First Impression: A luxurious sport-ute that offers a near-perfect blend of on- and off-road capability. You won't miss the LX 470."

"Ups: Luxurious cabin furnishings, plush ride quality, fine road manners, smooth drivetrain, plenty of off-road ability should you need it."

"An Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) supplements the vehicle's double wishbone front/solid axle rear suspension setup. In any of four driver-selectable modes ranging from Comfort to Sport, AVS automatically adjusts the damping of the shock absorbers in response to road conditions, driving style and vehicle load. So what does this amount to on public roads? Well, the emphasis is always on providing a plush, Lexus-smooth ride. However, we found that it was preferable to veer toward maximum "Comfort" when driving with a full load of passengers and toward "Sport" for better control of body lean when driving with a measure of gusto on two-lane roads. For daily commutes, we usually picked out one of the in-between settings."

Peterson's Four Wheel & Offroad:
"On the interstate the GX 470 was the best cruiser of the bunch, exhibiting no bad habits and providing plenty of entertainment and comfort for all passengers."

Automobile Magazine:
"Most modern SUVs are minivan-like in their passenger- and cargo-carrying capabilities, but the suspensions that make for a smooth highway ride often have the opposite effect on a mountain trail. The GX470 shows that you can have the best of both worlds, the paved and the unpaved, and that the live-axle rear end is far from dead. It proves yet again that with Lexus, there is no such thing as sacrifice."

Newsday:
"Another is an electronic suspension that automatically adjusts its firmness so that it's firmer when it needs to help the driver control the vehicle and is more compliant when it can be for a better ride. The driver can manually override the automatic system. There are front and rear stabilizer bars but, as in most trucks, a solid-axle rear suspension. Despite the latter, I can't recall an instance of wheel hop over bumps during my week with the GX."

Arizona Republic:
"On the road, the GX drives and handles as a Lexus should, civilized and nicely behaved. The sport setting for the suspension is best for pavement, allowing the truck to handle sharply and predictably."

Milwaukee Journal:
“In fact, after just driving the luxurious, good-looking Lincoln Aviator, I was shocked at just how much quieter and more refined the GX 470 felt. Both are nice, but this one is silky smooth in every respect….Ride in the GX 470 is extremely well controlled due to a four-link rear air suspension system that also includes an Adaptive Variable Suspension system, or AVS. It changes each wheel's shock damping rate based on the road surface, vehicle speed, driver inputs and more. You also can pick one of four settings from "comfort" to "sport" with a dial between the front seats. Those settings either soften or firm up the ride.”

Sacramento Bee
"Rolling, the GX 470 was most impressive...Even when working hard, the GX 470 showed little strain. The SUV went about its work quietly, and a rock-solid suspension kept the ride smooth. Special features controlling ride height and the damping rate of shock absorbers undoubtedly contributed to the silky feel."

Car-data.com:
"The truck just oozes down the road and, barring the use of hard throttle, gear change is imperceptible. The combination delivers up this effortless and totally poised driving experience. It's like taking a Lexus sedan driving environment and transplanting it into a truck based SUV."

Last edited by GatorGreg; 07-23-07 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 01:13 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

WOW...thanks for all the info. Maybe I was just expecting tooo much of the vehicle. Also, riding lowered vehicles does not help i'm sure.

Mike
Old 07-23-07, 05:55 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool The big question ....

WOW...thanks for all the info. Maybe I was just expecting tooo much of the vehicle. Also, riding lowered vehicles does not help i'm sure.

Mike
How much lowering are you speaking of? Not that I have heard of or seen anything such as lowered GX (although someone did once ask about that once). I am not sure what you drove or were referring too, the auto balance air shock system will not remain lowered if moving. If you test drove a lowered GX. The truck suspension would be SERIOUSLY Scr**'ed if anything like that was done. How you could possibly base any observations, if that was the case, and predict the trucks behaviour. Even a Jaguar would drive like a cement truck if it was altered like that.
And quite frankly, you should expect a lot from the ride of the truck. It is a Lexus after all. And it does not feel nor drive, like its' lesser bretheren. I expected more than the standard Toyota issue, and I still feel like it is a much better ride. There is more than just a badge delimiting the two brands. There are a number of advancements. One of which is tires. As someone mentioned earlier, the tires do make a dramatic difference between the vehicles. Personally, I think the Michelins work out dramatically better than the Bridgestones that were issued when I bought my truck.
Old 07-24-07, 06:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There must be something wrong with those GX you drove. Generally, the GX has a smoother ride than the 4runner.
Old 07-24-07, 08:30 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

ADVocate-

I was not referring to the GX as being lowered..I am referring to my other cars being lowered. What I was feeling when I was driving the GX was something like....the GX was tooo light to be a truck..the chassis was just bouncing around or when the tire would hit a little bump on the road, it would bounce more than it should..kinda feeling...

I'll do some more testing this weekend and get a really good feel for the car.

Mike
Old 07-24-07, 09:00 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Again, check the tire pressure. The recommended tire pressure for GX is 32psi only.
Old 07-24-07, 10:20 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool Hope you find what your looking for ....

ADVocate-

I was not referring to the GX as being lowered..I am referring to my other cars being lowered. What I was feeling when I was driving the GX was something like....the GX was tooo light to be a truck..the chassis was just bouncing around or when the tire would hit a little bump on the road, it would bounce more than it should..kinda feeling...

I'll do some more testing this weekend and get a really good feel for the car.

Mike
Hey Mike,
Sorry if I interpreted your comments incorrectly. I am sure you know what your looking for. Best of luck to you. I stand by what I said about tires. They really do make a difference on the truck. Take a look at which type suit your tastes. Also, I have noticed that the passenger side seat of the truck is far more harsh than the drivers. I think it may be the articulation of the 6 way seat gives it more play for absorbing the bumps in the road.
Old 07-25-07, 10:18 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the feedback..

So last night I test drove a BRAND NEW 2007 GX470 and really paying attention to the smoothness of the car...well definitely the car is SMOOTH on smooth pavement BUT those little or smaller bumps are very noticeable. I even made sure that the SUPER comfort setting is on the first dot and even the salesman who rode with me and the rest of the family who was in the car noticed the same behavior.

I really want to like this truck..seriously I do.

Mike
Old 07-25-07, 10:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Again, you cannot compare the GX's ride to a luxury sedan. All trucks are bumpy over uneven road due to the longer suspension travel, especially if the truck is fully loaded as far as passenger wise. The GX has one of the smoothest ride compare to any truck with a solid rear axle. Perhaps what you really need is a crossover with a lighter duty suspension that is more car like.

Quick Reply: Uneasy ride quality.. 03 GX470.