GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Which one?
Acura MDX new model
23.53%
Lexus GX 470
70.59%
Mercedes Benz GL
5.88%
Other
0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

2007 acura mdx vs gx vs buick enclave vs mb gl450

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 01:57 PM
rleggs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 acura mdx vs gx vs buick enclave vs mb gl450

which one would you guys go for & why?
Old 09-28-06, 02:16 PM
LexFather

Added a poll for you
Old 09-29-06, 05:56 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummmm

This is a GX site so I am confused...

CV
Old 09-29-06, 10:23 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

hmmm... three different cars in three different price range...
GL would be the first choice if I can afford it!!
But, GX had all the options I needed and the price was affordable!!
Old 09-29-06, 01:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Best all around has to be the GX. Would not take any of those other vehicles off road (in terms of being all around).
Old 09-29-06, 07:26 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rleggs
which one would you guys go for & why?
That really depends on what you are going to use it for and your situation. Can you give us more information?
Old 09-29-06, 08:51 PM
rleggs
Rookie

Wink guys, i know this is a lexus forum...

just looking for the best bang for my buck, in terms of a 3 row suv, using the 3rd row for people, few months in a year [in-laws and/or kids..], good mpg, reliability..not going to use off road at all and overall features
Old 09-29-06, 09:09 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Buick Enclave = I wouldn't even touch

Acura MDX = Looks pretty good though some may disagree with me, has pretty nice touches for the price, gas mileage better than that of GX and GL

MB GL 450, nice SUV really nice and useful third row unlike the GX 470 which is strictly for kids imo, price is slightly higher then the GX though, and it is bigger too...it's like a ML-Class XL version

GX 470, great all around SUV, I was very impressed by it at the TOL, it is a great SUV for the money, it rides good and the power rather good, I would buy one if I had the money, third row is the only downside imo and if the barn door is of concern to you.

Have you though about the Audi Q7?

My pick = GX 470, if you really need space GL
Old 10-01-06, 06:40 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
My pick = GX 470, if you really need space GL
Agree. If it's me, then i would go for GX. However, the GL450 seems like a good buy. I just won Car & Driver's comparison test, beating Q7. C&D complimented GL's interior quality and materials.

In the end, i would go for GX, but GL is not too bad either.
Old 10-01-06, 07:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

fully loaded 07 MDX with sport tech and entertainment packages is 48, MDX is definately going to handle way better than the other two choices with the active suspension in the sport package its gotten a lot of praises for its handling despite it being an SUV, interior volume of MDX and GX are pretty close
Old 10-02-06, 01:01 PM
Salvator
Driver

We looked at a variety of vehicles before selecting the GX. Some contenders were:

Land Rover LR3: our 2nd choice - Everything we wanted and then some, but lousy reliability and resale. Ford product (see American vehicles below).

Volvo XC90: Comfortable seats, fold flat third row, V8 option - Lacked real 4WD (only AWD), which is something we required. Also a Ford product.

Acura MDX: Fold flat seats, sportier handling, not particularly luxurious feeling interior. Questionable AWD / 4WD... Lockable diff, but no real low gear.

Mercedes: No third row in ML. Quality / reliability issues. GL is first year - no thanks.

VW Touareg: No third row. Questionable reliability.

Porsche Cayenne: No third row. Too expensive.

Ford, Chevy, Daimler Chrysler products: Sorry - no thanks.

Toyota: Sequoia too American-truck-like. Too big.

Honda Pilot: Bland and boring.

BMW X5: No third row seats. New version has third row seats and some of the other bells and whistles that the GX has, but its in its first year... I'll wait.

Long story short, the GX had true 4WD, a V8 (for towing) third row seats (even if they are small and obtrusive), interesting looks, comfort and reliability. Our goal was to buy something that would last us a goodly while (we kept our previous Land Rover Discovery for almost 10 years) and have all of the modern ammenities that we might need. The GX fit the bill.
Old 10-02-06, 01:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

not sure if OP will do any towing but a starting GX now costs almost as much as a fully loaded MDX sport+tech+entertainment package (active sport suspension and interior, navigation upgraded audio, rear seat DVD screen and player and more) acura claims 5000 lbs of towing on the MDX. GX is great but with the arrival of the MDX I dont think its the best in this segment anymore, MDX is a serious contender even for a similarly priced X5 or Cayenne and it just changed the playing field for this segment

The old MDX isnt up to par but the new one is, monsterous improvements everywhere. Seriously consider this as one of the options. I am a lexus fan but if something non-lexus out there is better overall IMO I will go with that

www.acura.com, future vehicles, then MDX
Old 10-02-06, 01:53 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Looks like you went though same thing as I did when I was doing search...

GX was the lonly car in it's class with reclining 2nd and 3rd row seat!!
Yes, 3rd row doesn't fold flat... that kinda sucks...
But, over all... my kids are comfy in the back seat! And, my wife's happy cause she didn't get the mini-van!
GX was a good choice so far!

Originally Posted by Salvator
Long story short, the GX had true 4WD, a V8 (for towing) third row seats (even if they are small and obtrusive), interesting looks, comfort and reliability. Our goal was to buy something that would last us a goodly while (we kept our previous Land Rover Discovery for almost 10 years) and have all of the modern ammenities that we might need. The GX fit the bill.
Old 10-02-06, 03:22 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
not sure if OP will do any towing but a starting GX now costs almost as much as a fully loaded MDX sport+tech+entertainment package (active sport suspension and interior, navigation upgraded audio, rear seat DVD screen and player and more) acura claims 5000 lbs of towing on the MDX. GX is great but with the arrival of the MDX I dont think its the best in this segment anymore, MDX is a serious contender even for a similarly priced X5 or Cayenne and it just changed the playing field for this segment

The old MDX isnt up to par but the new one is, monsterous improvements everywhere. Seriously consider this as one of the options. I am a lexus fan but if something non-lexus out there is better overall IMO I will go with that

www.acura.com, future vehicles, then MDX
The main thing I don't like about the MDX (old or new version) is the fact that 99% of the time, its a front drive vehicle. I could feel the torque steer problem in the MDX. I like a rear drive bias vehicle. Never feel any torque steer in the GX.
Old 10-03-06, 06:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BobsGX
The main thing I don't like about the MDX (old or new version) is the fact that 99% of the time, its a front drive vehicle. I could feel the torque steer problem in the MDX. I like a rear drive bias vehicle. Never feel any torque steer in the GX.
the new MDX has SH-AWD standard

Quick Reply: 2007 acura mdx vs gx vs buick enclave vs mb gl450