GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk TSB being cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 07:56 PM
spikehuang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk TSB being cancelled?

Six weeks ago, I submitted my GX for Lexus of Austin to order parts to fix the clunk.

I followed up with a call since they said the parts would be availabe in 3 weeks. I was told by the dealer that this TSB is being revolked as of yesterday. Wondering if anyone is getting the same message?
Old 09-27-06, 05:18 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spikehuang
Six weeks ago, I submitted my GX for Lexus of Austin to order parts to fix the clunk.

I followed up with a call since they said the parts would be availabe in 3 weeks. I was told by the dealer that this TSB is being revolked as of yesterday. Wondering if anyone is getting the same message?
I know that with the 4Runner, the fix was some grease. I never heard of all these extra parts until I came here. Maybe Lexus is going to treat the GX problem the same as the 4Runner problem. BTW, the grease fixed my clunk in both my GX and 4Runner.

CV
Old 09-27-06, 06:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow, I am glad I got my GX in before this. Can anyone else confrim this?
Old 09-27-06, 06:24 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Wow, I am glad I got my GX in before this. Can anyone else confrim this?
Same here, took the vehicle in for 5k service and mentioned the clunck, which is very intermitten. Lubed DriveShaft as proscribed was on the work ticket. We will see if it helps. I guess Lexus was losing money on replacing parts and found a easier way to rememdy the problem.
Old 09-27-06, 07:26 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

hey spike,

actually i recently bought a 2003 GX470 this past labor day weekend and luckily ran into this forum and found out about the clunk problem. Called Lexus Glendale two weeks ago and they told me that it takes a couple of weeks to order the parts and I just dropped my GX at the dealer this afternoon and they took it. Gave me a loaner and told me hopefully it will be done tomorrow by 5pm.

I was worried about your post because I read it this morning and went there to the dealer with my fingers crossed hoping they will fix my clunk problem. Will give you an update tomorrow to see if they fixed it.
Old 09-28-06, 05:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks like Lexus was caught by surprise by the volume and cost of this TSB. I must say, this is a very un-Lexus like decision. They have been greasing the drive shaft for the 4runners to fix this problem for a while. The draw back is that, it only works for a few months.
Old 09-28-06, 07:57 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Looks like Lexus was caught by surprise by the volume and cost of this TSB. I must say, this is a very un-Lexus like decision. They have been greasing the drive shaft for the 4runners to fix this problem for a while. The draw back is that, it only works for a few months.
Disagree. I've had both greased (myself) in both my 4Runner and GX and in my 4Runner, it didn't come back as of 3 years.

CV
Old 09-28-06, 09:59 AM
Salvator
Driver

My parts are on order... I called my SA yesterday evening to "check" on them and have not heard back from him yet... he's usually pretty quick about returning my call... Uh oh...
Old 09-29-06, 07:51 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

I hope this isn't true, as the "grease driveshaft" solution has been mentioned many times here and usually didn't work for long.

Also - Lets not add complete rumors to this report - note that the original post just said that the TSB was cancelled - the grease was pure speculation on CVs part and was not part of the report from Spike about what the dealer said!

I was at the dealer with my 06GX today for another issue - they are ordering door gasket parts. I commented that I hope these will come faster than the the clunk parts (now at 2 1/2 months). One of the service people commented that these were taking long because they had to take them away from new car production. I don't know if this was just a guess on his part.

I would HOPE that if the whole thing was cancelled somebody would have let me know. I agree that if they suddenly decided they didn't want to spend to fix it, that would be very unLexuslike!
Old 09-29-06, 09:08 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

i just picked up my car today from the dealer after leaving it there for the clunk problem and the service manager told me that the parts still haven't come in. i placed it on order two weeks ago and still not here. he said that there's 15 people ahead of me for that fix. he fixed all that i wanted fixed except the clunk. he said that he will give me a call when the parts get in.

so that means the clunk fix isn't cancelled.
Old 09-30-06, 07:24 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I hope this isn't true, as the "grease driveshaft" solution has been mentioned many times here and usually didn't work for long.

Also - Lets not add complete rumors to this report - note that the original post just said that the TSB was cancelled - the grease was pure speculation on CVs part and was not part of the report from Spike about what the dealer said!

I was at the dealer with my 06GX today for another issue - they are ordering door gasket parts. I commented that I hope these will come faster than the the clunk parts (now at 2 1/2 months). One of the service people commented that these were taking long because they had to take them away from new car production. I don't know if this was just a guess on his part.

I would HOPE that if the whole thing was cancelled somebody would have let me know. I agree that if they suddenly decided they didn't want to spend to fix it, that would be very unLexuslike!
The grease is NOT pure speculation This is how they originally fixed the problem before all the parts were added to a TSB. Did you ever think that maybe the are cancelling the TSB because it is overkill??? I promise each of you that the grease works. It has worked for over 3 years now on my 03 4Runner and I pre-emptively greased the GX and it has not showed its ugly face. The clunk has come back on some of the GXs that had the TSB done with the parts too! Toyota motor company has know about the clunk since the new drive train came out on the 4Runner in 2003. Did you ever think that it would be unLexuslike to ignore that problem for 3+ years now but instead service everyone's ride with a expensive TSB when a clunk shows up? That is what would truly be un-Lexus like.

So, again, in my attempt to add my $.02 about the grease, here are my results:

2003 4Runner got clunk...first year model so it was unknown at time. Greased it where they said to...clunk never came back.

2006 GX no clunk when bought...pre-emptively greased...12,000 miles and no clunk.

The math works for me.

CV
Old 09-30-06, 09:28 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470

The grease is NOT pure speculation This is how they originally fixed the problem before all the parts were added to a TSB.

CV
CV.....

When I had my clunk fixed, I'm not sure if a new drive-shaft was used, but I do recall that they mentioned drilling a hole somewhere. The clunk was fixed, but I do get a small thud from time to time.

The dealer gave me a new ES 300 as a loaner. Told me that my GX would probably be ready the next day. They called the next day and told me that it would take an extra day. I then said that I had planned a trip out of town and asked if it would be OK to take the loaner. Their answer was, "of coarse". Two days later after returning from Mexico, I picked up my GX. What a pleasure it was to drive. I couldn't believe the difference between the ride of the GX and the ES. It felt like floating on air, riding up high where I could see everything.

~ Cap
Old 09-30-06, 09:37 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
CV.....

When I had my clunk fixed, I'm not sure if a new drive-shaft was used, but I do recall that they mentioned drilling a hole somewhere. The clunk was fixed, but I do get a small thud from time to time.

The dealer gave me a new ES 300 as a loaner. Told me that my GX would probably be ready the next day. They called the next day and told me that it would take an extra day. I then said that I had planned a trip out of town and asked if it would be OK to take the loaner. Their answer was, "of coarse". Two days later after returning from Mexico, I picked up my GX. What a pleasure it was to drive. I couldn't believe the difference between the ride of the GX and the ES. It felt like floating on air, riding up high where I could see everything.

~ Cap
I agree!!

Nothing like getting back into the GX after you drop her off for service and use their loaner.

Anyway, I am not totally certain what they do to fix the clunk when it comes to the parts and etc. Like I said before, the grease works/worked/is working for me

Doesn't make much sense for Lexus to ingnore a problem for 3 years...maybe I don't have the clunk in my GX becasue they finally started fixing the problelm in the factory. Nonetheless, I greased her and she is fine!

CV
Old 09-30-06, 07:14 PM
spikehuang
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the post.

I am going to call my dealer and ask for something in writing why they cancelled my order for parts to fix the clunk. At the same time, I will ask to grease the car. May be it will do the magic.
Old 10-01-06, 02:41 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
The grease is NOT pure speculation This is how they originally fixed the problem before all the parts were added to a TSB. Did you ever think that maybe the are cancelling the TSB because it is overkill???

CV
What I referred to as "speculation" was not whether it worked for you, but that if the TSB was cancelled it was because Lexus suddenly decided that the grease solution worked well enough. We don't know IF anything was decided (other than one report from a dealer), and if it was we certainly don't know why.

I have no problem with speculating, but I do feel the need to point out that we need to guard against a possibility suddenly becoming gospel from Lexus.

If there was no problem and grease alwasy fixed the clunk, then Lexus has spent a lot of time and money coming up with the current (?) TSB. I find that hard to believe.

Quick Reply: Clunk TSB being cancelled?