GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX and EasyPass

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 07:14 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX and EasyPass

I've resisted EasyPass all these years because I don't use toll roads much, and my old SUV had a coin holder and a big, sturdy ash tray.

The other day I had to visit a company and travel New Jersey Turnpike, then Garden State Parkway, then Tappan Zee Bridge. I tried putting some coins in the ashtray, and some in a small cup in the tiny console. Ashtray fell out and coins went flying all over me and the car, with me sitting scrambling at the toll booth.

I've done a search, and it looks like some people report problems with Lexus Nav and EasyPass, but that was in sedans. Also, I am not quite sure whether the stickems should go on the glass itself or those wierd bumps on the glass near the mirror. Questions:

1. Does anybody have EasyPass and the GX with Nav? Is there any problem when the EasyPass is mounted inside?

2. Where do you stick your EasyPass on the windshield? Does it go on those raised bumps or on the smooth glas itself?

3. What are those raised bumps anyway?

Would appreciate any hints.
Old 02-16-06, 07:28 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06 GX with easy pass in it and nav - no issues, never heard of such a thing until mine, I just put mine in the day I picked up the car and have had no issues. I have it stuck directly to the glass just below the bumps. I beleive that bumps you are referring to are all those little black bumps that are designed to cut down on sun glare around areas where the visor doesn't quite cover.

Rob
Old 02-17-06, 05:08 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Silver,

I have had my EZ pass on my GX since day one, March 2005 when I picked it up with no issues. I placed my unit directly on the windshield, directly behind my rearview mirror so I don't notice the unit!

Early navigation units in ALL cars and STAND alone units were VERY VERY susceptible to LINE of sight issues, so if you were driving or walking around and a large tree or building obstructed your view to the sky then you would absolutely loose your connection and would be "lost". Ask me how many times I was upset when I drove into the city with my Laptop/GPS unit and as soon as we got into midtown my Delorme unit would tell me no satellites found, please check you connection, ditto when going into Midtown/holland tunnels...

The relevance of this story is that on some model cars the (not sure which ones) the EZ Pass being stuck on the windshield OBSTRUCTED the line of sight to the early NAV units and prevented them from getting a good satellite signal strength, hence the reason you've heard about some issues with NAV and EZ pass...

For the record, my GX 05' doesnt have this issue and since I've been trolling the Forums, this one and us.lexusownersclub, I have yet to come across a single thread regarding issus with EZ Pass and GX's NAV system...

Whew, hope this post wasn't too long winded for you?

-Alex
Old 02-17-06, 12:23 PM
leot
Driver School Candidate

Just to refrain the others, I use the GSP and the NJ TPKE all the time, with 05 GX and EZ Pass.
my EZPASS module is right behind the rear view mirror. No problems ever
LEOT
Old 02-17-06, 08:55 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by leot
Just to refrain the others, I use the GSP and the NJ TPKE all the time, with 05 GX and EZ Pass.
my EZPASS module is right behind the rear view mirror. No problems ever
LEOT
Same here!

2004 GX, EZ Pass, live in NJ, never problems with nav.
Old 02-20-06, 01:07 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

LEOT and Yaro

Where exactly do you put the EasyPass? Right under the mirror ON the dots or OFF?

Glad to here from everybody that it works well with the Nav.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-06, 02:39 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have mine mounted on the left side of the rear view mirror so that the bottom edge is flush with the bottom edge of the mirror. No problems ever on the Dulles Toll Road, Dulles Greenway or the PA Turn Pike. Knock on wood.
Old 02-20-06, 06:29 PM
rklages
Pole Position

I have mine just under the dots - the dots will have no effect on function, but I thought it might not stick as well on the dots as it is a slightly rough surface, so i put it just below as close to the mirror as I could get it - I can't see it for the mirror when driving.

Rob
Old 02-20-06, 07:04 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OOO yeah I forgot to say it is behind the mirror--can't tell it's there at all....
Old 02-21-06, 07:07 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Silver,

My EZ pass is on stuck on the dots...

-Alex
Old 02-28-06, 06:28 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default EZPass and Nav

I have EZ Pass and Nav, and have never had an issue with the tolls (mainly going into Manhattan), and just recently on the NJTP. As for the dots - I have mine in a suction cup "pleather" zippered case that the dealership gave me - no issues - it is mounted to the right side of center - just behind the rear view mirror.