GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Uncomfortable front passenger seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 09:14 PM
ROBERTPEP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uncomfortable front passenger seat

I bought my wife the GS470 and when I drive she can't stand that lack of ability to adjust the front passenger seat to a comfortable position. Why did Lexus take this cheap approach to the car design? They could have easily put in a more adjustable seat like the driver seat. It seems like the GS470 was in need of much more planning and comfort design. Is a re-design coming soon for this model?
Old 12-21-05, 05:16 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBERTPEP
I bought my wife the GS470 and when I drive she can't stand that lack of ability to adjust the front passenger seat to a comfortable position. Why did Lexus take this cheap approach to the car design? They could have easily put in a more adjustable seat like the driver seat. cry:
My wife and I also agree, the passenger seat is very uncomfortable (especially for long trips). Her X5 is much better, BMW gives a fully adjustable passenger seat, unlike Lexus. The lack of controls to adjust it is the reason, it just never gets comfortable. For a 50000+ SUV, it is a poor oversight on Lexus' part. I know there is now lumbar support, which mine does not have, but it still needs to have the same adjustments as the drivers seat. The new ES330 also has the memory function for the passenger seat , great addition that I wish the GX also had.
Old 12-21-05, 06:48 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Just guessing, but there must be a safety reason for not doing it - hell, even the RX has more passenger-side adjustments. 4-runner (GX cousin) is the same way - no thigh adjustments. Can't imagine it's a cost issue. It is indeed pretty uncomfortable - on long trips I will definitely bring along a pillow for extra thigh support.
Old 12-21-05, 07:33 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

At one point (as in '03 GXs and '04s built before fall 2004), the passenger seat didn't even have power adjustable lumbar support. Only reclining and forward/back. Guess what kind of seat I'm stuck with...

So, at least they've made an improvement. But I have to agree, even my '00 Grand Cherokee had the same 10-way seat on the passenger side as on the driver's side. I'm pretty positive Lexus penny-pinched on this one.
Old 12-21-05, 09:55 AM
leot
Driver School Candidate

Default Agree; seat is bad

My wife drives the GX mostly, but she rides when we take our monthly business trip (her business)
about 250 miles round trip. She complains bitterly about the passenger seat.

Somebody from Lexus should respond to this, what would it cost to add all functions? Not a whole lot I bet.

leot
Old 12-21-05, 01:26 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OR

I think it is because the navigation system computer is below the passenger seat and there's no more room for the necessary electronics.

I did a lot of work under the seats and found that there is significantly limited room below the passenger seat due to the Nav unit in comparison to the Driver's side.

Before we accuse Lexus of penny pinching (Although I thought so at first) I don't think they would make such a silly oversight on this truck.

Just my $.10
Old 12-21-05, 02:43 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by yaro1
OR

I think it is because the navigation system computer is below the passenger seat and there's no more room for the necessary electronics.

I did a lot of work under the seats and found that there is significantly limited room below the passenger seat due to the Nav unit in comparison to the Driver's side.

Before we accuse Lexus of penny pinching (Although I thought so at first) I don't think they would make such a silly oversight on this truck.

Just my $.10
That's a good point. I hadn't thought about it. But I think they could've placed the nav unit elsewhere if this was the issue. I don't think the GX is the only Lexus that has the nav unit under the front seat, yet it seems to be the only one with the "problem" we're discussing.

We could also think that omitting the power lumbar support on the passenger seat would be a silly oversight (and I agree with you), yet they did just that during the first 22 months or so of GX production. They only added this feature late in the '04 production run.

So, I continue to think this was cost related. If they had wanted to include these features, they could have.
Old 12-21-05, 03:01 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Believe you me, it always come down to the money.
Old 12-21-05, 03:52 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I think its a cost cutting measure. Just like Lexus eliminated the dark band of tint across the top of the front windshield on the 2006 IS cars. It just gives the car a cheap economy car look when viewed from the front.
I noticed many other manufacturers (M-B, Jaguar, Lincoln, etc.) are doing the same thing. What does that save, maybe a dollar per vehicle? Darn beancounters.
Old 12-22-05, 04:40 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
Believe you me, it always come down to the money.
You are probably right. I just like to think of things from other perspectives.

I really wonder how much money they could save by omitting those extra functions?

Maybe it will buy Mr. Toyoda another gallon of gas for his private jet.
Old 01-04-06, 10:06 PM
makulaf
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, I thik the driver seat is sort of uncomfortable too. I also have a gs 300 and the seats are night and by comparison. My leg goes to sleep after an couple of hours of driving the GX. Don't get me wrong, I love the suv and still find myself driving it more than the gs, but the nakamechi cd player/cd eater and the comfort of the front seats knda leave me scratching my head.