GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

KDSS A Waste??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 09:05 AM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KDSS A Waste??

Went to a local dealer in NJ and told them I want the KDSS with my GX. He immediatley said its a waste of $1800 and unless I go offroading it is not worth it, and he went on to say it can cost a lot to maintain and to fix problems.

Any truth in this? Or do you think he had none to sell so he played KDSS off as being a bad thing?

-M
Old 12-03-05, 09:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

He is full of crap !!!!!!!!
KDSS works great on road as well as off road. KDSS actually help with body lean alot when the GX is push hard around the corner. If you place handling high on your priority, then you must have the KDSS. I personnelly drive like a old lady and like to baby my GX, so I didn't get the KDSS. The KDSS also only comes in a few color, not the color I wanted, and they always come loaded with alot of other options I didn't want.
He is simply trying to get rid of his non KDSS stock. If I were you, I would test drive both and make up your own mind. If he doesnt have a KDSS for you to test drive, then test drive the non-KDSS and if you are not happy with the handling then make it clear to him that you want a KDSS and that wasn't an option. If he still want to sell you a non KDSS, then go to another dealer.

Good Luck
Old 12-03-05, 10:38 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default He is lying. Or stupid. Or both. Let me say this:

I drove both versions and there is a HUGE difference with KDSS. In fact, until I was able to test drive one I had actually ruled out the GX for being "too flopp" and handling like a wet noodle. With KDSS it was an entirely different vehicle.
Do this- Go to this link and watch the video. You'll be convinced

http://www.lexus.com/models/gx/performance.html#kinetic

I'll say it again-- I would NOT buy the vehicle without it!

But, you MUST, I repeat MUST drive both versions before making up your mind. Many (most??) dealres don't have KDSS vehicles in stock, so guess what they want to dump. On YOU!!
Old 12-03-05, 01:40 PM
BobsGX
Racer

While it does look like it works great, it does look like a complicated system and once the vehicle is out of warranty, I'll bet it would cost a small fortune to repair. In other words, either get the extended warranty or sell the vehicle before the warranty expires. But I will admit, if I could have found a Blizzard Pearl with the Dark Gray interior, and could get the vehicle without the RSES which I would never use along with the Lexus Link and could still get the 6,500 lb. tow hitch, I would have the KDSS on the GX.
Old 12-03-05, 09:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
While it does look like it works great, it does look like a complicated system and once the vehicle is out of warranty, I'll bet it would cost a small fortune to repair.
Yeah, but you can say that for about half of the system the GX has.
Old 12-04-05, 03:14 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yeah, but you can say that for about half of the system the GX has.
True, but most of the other complicated systems come standard on the GX. The KDSS option comes on less than 5% of the GX's, so most mechanics at the Lexus dealer will not have a clue as to how to diagnose a problem with the KDSS. They are bound to be much more familiar with items they see often then to the rare option like the KDSS.
Old 12-05-05, 01:53 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool For Simplicity sake .....

Originally Posted by BobsGX
True, but most of the other complicated systems come standard on the GX. The KDSS option comes on less than 5% of the GX's, so most mechanics at the Lexus dealer will not have a clue as to how to diagnose a problem with the KDSS. They are bound to be much more familiar with items they see often then to the rare option like the KDSS.

Actually, the KDSS is probably one of the least compicated systems on the truck. I would worry more about the engine, climate control and/or navigation computers than I would the suspension computer. The suspension controls a solenoid only, and is passive other than that. Of the 3 types of Kinetic systems, the system used by the GX, was designed to be minimal in complexity. That was the intent on its' original design.