GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-05, 01:45 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Owner

Just bought an '06 GX with:

- Sport
- Nav/ML
- RSES
- Tow/Prep

in Titanium/Dark Grey with Blackwood trim. Drives very easily. Need to do the DVD override mod.

Got the car at invoice. Now I just need to get a clear bra installed.

Last edited by KVA; 11-28-05 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-21-05, 04:06 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Back with a Lexus, huh?

Congrats on the purpose.
Old 11-21-05, 04:34 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

No...I always had one...traded in the RX

Now I just have to wait for something special so I can get rid of the AMG...
Old 11-21-05, 05:14 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats! And with a question--

Originally Posted by KVA
Just bought an '06 GX with:

- Sport
- Nav/ML
- RSES
- Tow/Prep

in Titanium/Dark Grey with Blackwood trim. Drives very easily. Need to do the DVD override mod.

Got the car at invoice. Now I just need to get a clear bra installed. Pics to follow...
Sounds like a great car and an even better price. My question is simple- I see that you, like many others here, are getting the car at or close to invoice. In short, why? Has the demand for V8 SUVs plummeted so far, or are the dealers just trying to rid themselves of stock? I don't see any incentives listed on edmunds & kbb, etc., so I have to wonder----why are we getting these deals?
Old 11-21-05, 07:48 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

2 reasons: gas price and the GX's design is 4 years old.
Old 11-21-05, 08:05 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 11-21-05, 08:23 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Yes- Hard to believe this is its 4th year of production (more)

Originally Posted by The G Man
2 reasons: gas price and the GX's design is 4 years old.

But, at least the bugs like the "clunk" should be worked out! I am curious as to how many more years the current design will be with us. The Japanese seem to have shorter design cycles. I am guessing we'll see another 1-2 years of this design or so. Opinions?? Discuss??
Old 11-21-05, 08:49 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a couple of months ago that the GX redesign will be for the 2008 model year. So its still 2 years away.
Old 11-22-05, 06:32 AM
batmobl
Rookie

congrats on the new ride
Old 11-22-05, 07:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JWS3
But, at least the bugs like the "clunk" should be worked out! I am curious as to how many more years the current design will be with us. The Japanese seem to have shorter design cycles. I am guessing we'll see another 1-2 years of this design or so. Opinions?? Discuss??
Dont be too suprise about the cluck not being fix. Lexus have attempt to fix the cluck already and had made some improvment with the teflon coated driveshaft.
Compare to other manufacturers, Acura MDX for example, it took them 3 years to fix a major problem such as the transmission failing, 5 years to fix the sloshing gas tank issue and the 2006 MDX still have the brake cluck issue , rattling windows when half way down, inside of window getting wet when the outside is wet and the shifting driver seats. I am guessing that Lexus, much like Acura with their short design cycle, will just wait for the next re-design to address these issues. My guess is that it cost less to repair them than to re-design them. On the other hand, most of the American manufacturers dont even bother to address design issues at all unless it is in the re-design stage or mandated by safety recalls.
Old 11-22-05, 09:11 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great car and an even better price. My question is simple- I see that you, like many others here, are getting the car at or close to invoice. In short, why? Has the demand for V8 SUVs plummeted so far, or are the dealers just trying to rid themselves of stock? I don't see any incentives listed on edmunds & kbb, etc., so I have to wonder----why are we getting these deals?
I think the answer to your question has more to do with the Internet and the savvy of purchasers than with the things you mentioned. Because the Internet facilitates shopping for vehicles anywhere in the country, the competition for dealers is no longer just limited to a particular town, city, or region. To compete for these customers, especially those who are well-armed because of membership on forums like ours, dealers have to price accordingly.
Old 11-22-05, 11:10 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

I have a good relationship with the sales guy all they care about is 100% satisfaction on their survey's so they can get bonus...they live off of bonus.

Without even trying, other dealers were quoting me $500-1000 over invoice depending on whether I wanted the sport package or not...they do not like to deal as much with the sport package. Also, the sport package only comes as a fully loaded package deal in the Western U.S....i.e. - nav/ml, towing prep, rses, 3rd row, etc...
Old 11-22-05, 11:13 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

The dealer I went to had 40 on the lot...and 6 with the sport package. That is a lot of inventory to carry month-over-month...if you were in their shoes you would much rather sell at invoice, get your $1000 holdback and bring in fully loaded IS350's or other hot models that will turn over faster and be less of an impact to operating costs...hence higher revenue to the dealership in general.
Old 11-22-05, 11:22 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Totally true- I suppose its my skeptical side coming out (more)

Originally Posted by KVA
The dealer I went to had 40 on the lot...and 6 with the sport package. That is a lot of inventory to carry month-over-month...if you were in their shoes you would much rather sell at invoice, get your $1000 holdback and bring in fully loaded IS350's or other hot models that will turn over faster and be less of an impact to operating costs...hence higher revenue to the dealership in general.
When I see how vehicles that were selling close to list just a short time ago are now at invoice or thereabouts. I wonder why they don't like the sports package? It is not available w/ the color Ilike, "Savannah", but I was able to locate one equipped w/ KDSS, which I am told is something of a rare find.
I am always concerned I'm getting the shaft from a dealer, hence my skepticism & always think "what do they know that I do not?". I am equally concerned that we here could be buying a vehicle that may prove hard to re-sell or otherwise subject to ankle grabbing depreciation in the future. Am I paranoid? Probably, but we're talking some decent money here........
Old 11-22-05, 12:03 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

In general, luxury SUV, especially Lexus, hold their value alot better than other SUVs, simply because most luxury SUV buyers are less concerned about high gas prices. On the other hand, if gas goes up above $3 a gallon again and stay there, even the resale value of luxury SUV will take a hit, but not to the extend of other SUVs.

Quick Reply: New Owner