GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

I hate my new GX

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 09:35 AM
Mr.ES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GX is not what you can compare to the Escalade. You would compare with the LX. The Escalade seats Only 7 And it is considered a Large SUV. You could compare that to the Highlander, 4Runner, and even the new Rav4. In terms of power, the GX may lack it, but I love mine. GM is not called a Luxury Car segment. The Lexus wood trim is Real, While Cadillac, Buick, and What ever Else is not. What year did you have? To me, the 2004.5 are the best. Standard Steering wheel audio controls, Bluetooth, Adaptive Front Lighting(2006), Heated Mirrors, the available GX's rear DVD Entertainment systems supports Gaming systems, Reverse Camera. But you should have gotten the Sequoia. In my opinion.
Old 07-26-05, 10:34 AM
SilvahGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Wish I would have gottten an LX

I've had mine for about 3 months, and I'm satisfied so far. It's definitely worth every penny. I was originally set on getting an LX. When we got to the dealer, the LX they had on the lot was sold, and if we wanted a brand new one we would have to order. We decided to take the LX out for a test drive, althought it had a great ride, it lacked power and I felt it to be unstable when I compared it to my 1998 Land Cruiser. Shortly after, the GX caught our eye, and the price was very attractive. After a short test drive we were sold, the Car was about $55K and at that time, there was a used 2003 LX in the color combo that I wanted for $53K, so it wouldn't have been difficult to get an LX, however, the sales guy said we would get a bad lease deal on a used car, so we passed and got the GX.

At this point in time, I think we would have been better off getting the LX, the extra space, for us, at least, would have definitely been worth the price difference.
Old 07-26-05, 10:53 AM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by looknow12
The GM gas pedal seems to shift pressure when you release it, I thought that was odd on the Escalade. Not that this has anything to do with the brakes, but I just thought of it.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Well the fix was a new drive shaft. The yoke that the drive shaft slides into (to make it longer and shorter) was sticking just a bit that you could notice it when at a light. It might go away as things break in.
I hope so.

Hold down the button for seek.
I'll try that.

Wait, I thought the problem was as you go to the car, the seat is in the wrong position.... do you leave the key in the car all of the time? No wonder. I guess the GX still believes someone is sitting in the car. As you take the key out of the car, I believe it moves the steering wheel out of the way. (Or is it when you turn it to the lock position???) If this is the case, you should take the key out of the car anyway.
When it sits in the locked garage, the key is left in. We need to get in the habit of taking out the key.

In the GX? Power for windows is retained until you open up a door. Are you referring to the GM?
Yes I was referring to GM

As I said, I began to appreciate this over time. It's the first vehicle I've ever seen do it. My GS also does it and I love the feature. I'm live in Connecticut, and travel to Vermont frequently. So this is a must have.
The jury is still out for me on this feature.

I just put our seat in the car. It is in the very center of the back seat, strapped to the lower anchor. Do all cars have this lower anchor in the bottom of the seat? It's great.
The lower seat anchors are a great way to secure a car seat. The problem is that there is not two of them in the center of the rear seat on the 2005 model. I am assuming you have a different year since you said you do not have the 05 motor. There are two of them in the right seat (the one you have to fold up to access the rear) and the two on the left side that whe used the seat is halfway on the left seat and halfway on the center seat. They seem to change car seat laws ever couple years to keep the car seat companies happy.

Anyway, an adult can sit on either side.
Not if you have the lower anchors installed properly. I'm not talking about the strap that latches to the BACK of the rear seat. These are the lower anchors that are accessed by pulling the leather flap where the lower and upright seat pad meet.

I wasn't aware that the driver could no longer operate the switches when it was locked. Are you sure about that?
Very sure. Like this on the 02 Escalade, 03 H2 and the 05 H2.

Believe me, you'll get better mileage than that. (Although I don't have the 05 engine). Give the engine time to break in. Also, I know for myself with new vehicles, I generally push them harder when I first get them to see what their made of. But over time, when that wears off a bit, the mileage goes up without even realizing it.
I hope so.

Very true. I wrote about this on CL a long time ago. (in fact I've mentioned nearly all of your items at one point in time or another. If the only thing you use all day is the radio, why should the screen keep going back to Navigation. It's silly. One exception (I'm not sure about Gen4 in GX's), you can leave it on trip (at least in my GS). But the silly part is, if you hit Dest and it asks you to agree, and then it goes to the map, not the destination screen. They're not passing the correct parameters to the software. i.e. After pressing I Agree, the software is coded to always go to the MAP screen regardless of what called the disclaimer screen. Poor software coding.
I was hoping there was a way the dealer could disable that feature. Whatever is displayed when the car is turned off is what should be displayed when the car is turned on. My wife will never use the Navigation system and this is her car. I'll use it when I drive the car mostly on weekends.

See, I don't appreciate the cluttered dash of the Escalade. There's far too much going on. I prefer the clean look of the Lexus GX. Once you set the temperature, how hard would it be to remember what you set it for. The only time you really care, or are suspicious is if it is cold or hot, if so, hit the up and down paddle buttons.
You should not have to remember. It should be displayed IMO.

4 kids is a lot for the GX. Does the 3rd seat help at all? And if so, do you find enough cargo space?
Yes you are right. My children are 1.5 years to 14. 90+ percent of the time I am not in the car during the week and my oldest daughter can sit up front. I just leave one third row set in place and the other one stored in the house. This way there is a little more space in the rear for a stroller or groceries.
Old 07-26-05, 10:59 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 04 GX, the straps snapped into under need the leather flaps (not over the top to the back of the seat). One is to the right of the left of the arm rest (looking back from the front seat), in between the smaller seat (40) and the bigger seat (60). The other strap is snapped into just to the right of the arm rest.

The seat is positioned nearly dead center.
Old 07-26-05, 12:36 PM
Mr.ES
Driver School Candidate

When you take the key out of any GM product, the Accessories are still on until the door is opened, Toyota will have this feature by the end of 2007. (thats what I heard.)
Old 07-26-05, 12:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr.ES
When you take the key out of any GM product, the Accessories are still on until the door is opened, Toyota will have this feature by the end of 2007. (thats what I heard.)
My 1992 ES has this feature, I surely remember it on my GS. Have to go check the SC Lexus has had this for sometime now, once u don't open the door, I think u have 30 seconds with the accesories still powered.

Heck, now that I think of it the RX does is too
Old 07-26-05, 12:45 PM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr.ES
The GX is not what you can compare to the Escalade. You would compare with the LX. The Escalade seats Only 7 And it is considered a Large SUV. You could compare that to the Highlander, 4Runner, and even the new Rav4. In terms of power, the GX may lack it, but I love mine. GM is not called a Luxury Car segment. The Lexus wood trim is Real, While Cadillac, Buick, and What ever Else is not. What year did you have? To me, the 2004.5 are the best. Standard Steering wheel audio controls, Bluetooth, Adaptive Front Lighting(2006), Heated Mirrors, the available GX's rear DVD Entertainment systems supports Gaming systems, Reverse Camera. But you should have gotten the Sequoia. In my opinion.
My Escalase sat 8. Two in the front, three in the middle and three in the rear. The LX did not seem to have much more room than the GX especially for the price difference. I would consider the Escalade to be a Luxury car. The wood is real on the door panels and steering wheel but you are correct that the dash is not. I'll be the fist one to admit the interior lacked refinement. The redesign being relased next year is "supposed" to be over the top unlike anything GM has made. It seems they finally are getting the point that they need to improve the interiors.

I have a new 2005 model. The Sequioa is the same as what I had size wise but with less luxury appointments.
Old 07-27-05, 09:33 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My 1992 ES has this feature, I surely remember it on my GS. Have to go check the SC Lexus has had this for sometime now, once u don't open the door, I think u have 30 seconds with the accesories still powered.

Heck, now that I think of it the RX does is too
Sick, maybe ur referring to opening/closing of the windows only. I don't think for example the radio will stay on, etc.
Old 07-27-05, 09:34 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 89vette
My Escalase sat 8. Two in the front, three in the middle and three in the rear. The LX did not seem to have much more room than the GX especially for the price difference. I would consider the Escalade to be a Luxury car. The wood is real on the door panels and steering wheel but you are correct that the dash is not. I'll be the fist one to admit the interior lacked refinement. The redesign being relased next year is "supposed" to be over the top unlike anything GM has made. It seems they finally are getting the point that they need to improve the interiors.

I have a new 2005 model. The Sequioa is the same as what I had size wise but with less luxury appointments.
I heard the new LX will be built on the Sequoia frame, meaning it will become bigger than the current version.
Old 07-27-05, 09:50 AM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

I always wondered why they did not build a Lexus version of the Sequoia. I think this would be a good move.
Old 07-27-05, 12:09 PM
Mr.ES
Driver School Candidate

Maybe it would be a good move, maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 07-27-05, 09:04 PM
SilvahGX
Driver School Candidate

Isn't there supposed to be some VX470 coming up that's going to be similar to a Sequioa?
Old 07-31-05, 05:17 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

I spent a bit of time in a friend's recently purchased Yukon XL, even detailed it. It was amazing how much vinyl was used in place of leather inside, could even be found on the front seats. Headliner looked like rat hair, sunroof was fairly cheap looking. Brake pedal felt like a wet sponge, accompanied by pretty poor braking distances. I highly doubt the GX's is anywhere near this bad. Step on the gas and the 6.0L engine was annoyingly loud, transmission was beyond stupid and rough if you opened the throttle up a bit.

It was nice, but if Lexus slapped together a vehicle like that, I'm sure they would be out of business. The owner loves it, trying to sell his 5series for a H2...go figure.
Old 07-31-05, 05:19 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Judging from reviews fuel economy for the GX470 should be pretty even with the Escalade's, you'd have to wait for GM and Toyota's new V8's if you want any significant improvements.
Old 04-12-12, 03:43 PM
Makakio
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with #'s 5, 7, 8 and 12.

Quick Reply: I hate my new GX