GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk/thump problem with the drive shaft or transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 09:57 AM
HoleinOne
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clunk/thump problem with the drive shaft or transmission

It appears the thread on this issue has stopped for a little while without any indication of it being resolved. Does anyone have anything new on this? I am experience it constantly now - either when I easy off on the brakes after coming to a stop or when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. It is extremely annoying since we switched from a '98 ML320 because we thought it was a defect-ridden SUV only to experience the same level of problems or worse in our '04 GX.

Has anyone had any luck pursuing the Lemon law in Cal on this problem? We'v ehad the drive shaft replaced back when it was about 4000 miles (it has 14000 miles now). The dealer in now refusing to fix saying that it is the "operational characteristics of the vehicle". We are getting close to the 18000 mile limit on the Lemon Law and are seriously considering invoking it.
Old 06-02-05, 10:09 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by HoleinOne
It appears the thread on this issue has stopped for a little while without any indication of it being resolved. Does anyone have anything new on this? I am experience it constantly now - either when I easy off on the brakes after coming to a stop or when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. It is extremely annoying since we switched from a '98 ML320 because we thought it was a defect-ridden SUV only to experience the same level of problems or worse in our '04 GX.

Has anyone had any luck pursuing the Lemon law in Cal on this problem? We'v ehad the drive shaft replaced back when it was about 4000 miles (it has 14000 miles now). The dealer in now refusing to fix saying that it is the "operational characteristics of the vehicle". We are getting close to the 18000 mile limit on the Lemon Law and are seriously considering invoking it.
There is a procedure that has been in place for perhaps 8 months or so that requires that the dealer polish the splines on the new driveshaft prior to installing it. This was done to mine back in December, and I only get a MINOR thump ocassionally. A significant improvement.

You should mention this to your dealer. If they keep giving you the "normal characteristic" garbage, it might be time to try another dealer.

Just as an FYI, here is a service bulletin for the early-build 2nd gen Jeep Grand Cherokee which had this issue. It worked (I had one), and I can't comprehend how Lexus hasn't come up with a similar fix (Jeep used nickel-coated splines to eliminate the binding).

And by the way, while I don't want to minimize your frustration or this issue, please don't compare your beautiful GX to an ML320!

Good luck to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
030400 - INTERMITTENT BUMP FELT AFTER VEHICLE HAS COME TO A FULL STOP

Date: 06/23/00 (supersedes 030799 dated 10/29/99)

Model year(s): 1999-2000

Description: A condition may exist where the vehicles owner may feel an intermittent bump (stop-bump) once the vehicle is brought to a full stop. The repair technician may erroneously diagnose this condition as a delayed transmission down shift into first gear. This condition may occur 3 to 20 seconds following the stop or when the load on the rear driveline is reduced (e.g., when the applied brake pressure is decreased). The stop-bump condition may be the result of a binding between the splined surfaces of the rear propeller shaft slip yoke and the rear output shaft of either the transfer case or the transmission. As load on the driveline is reduced, the bound slip yoke will release suddenly causing a bump-like sensation. The condition may be intermittent. If the above condition has been experienced, then perform the Repair Procedure. The splined surfaces on the slip yoke section of the new propeller shaft are nickel coated to reduce the opportunity of binding.

Details: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE SEPTEMBER 20,1999. A WJ EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE, A NV242 TRANSFER CASE, AND A 198 RBI (M35) REAR AXLE USES A DIFFERENT STYLE REAR PROPELLER SHAFT THAN THOSE WHICH ARE ADDRESSED IN THIS TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN. FOR THIS VEHICLE, THE SPLINED SURFACES ON THE PROPELLER SHAFT SLIP YOKE AND THE TRANSFER CASE OUTPUT SHAFT ARE GREASED TO PREVENT A BINDING CONDITION AND DO NOT REQUIRE REPLACEMENT.

Parts required:
52099484AD Shaft, Drive (4.0L / 4x2 / 42RE / 198 RBI – M35)
52099485AE Shaft, Drive (4.0L / 4x4 / 42RE / NV247 / 198 RBI – M35)
52099486AC Shaft, Drive (4.7L / 4x2 / 45RFE / 226 RBA – M44)
52099487AC Shaft, Drive (4.7L / 4x4 / 45RFE / NV247 / 226 RBA –M44)
52111483AB Shaft, Drive (4.0L / 4x4 / 42RE / NV247 / 226 RBA – M44)
52111490AB Shaft, Drive (4.7L / 4x4 / 45RFE / NV242HD / 226 RBA – M44)
Old 06-02-05, 12:43 PM
SacKen
Driver

... I am experience it constantly now ... or when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. ...
The clunk that has been exhaustively discussed in the passed typically does not occur every time you stop and certainly not when the tranny is changing gears as you are in motion. It sounds like you have a totally different unrelated problem that needs to be fixed ASAP!

FYI for those that are browsing the site thinking of purchasing the GX: I only notice a slight thump once a month or so in my '04 with 20k and it is not so bad that you think "OMG, what just hit me!" So please don't think that all GX's are lemons that thump, clunk and vibrate all the time.
Old 06-02-05, 05:46 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

my dealer says, it's "normal". The problem is caused by the self leveling rear suspension constantly changing heights at times, and when we're at a stop, it changes height position and causes the "thump".
Old 06-02-05, 05:51 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx900
my dealer says, it's "normal". The problem is caused by the self leveling rear suspension constantly changing heights at times, and when we're at a stop, it changes height position and causes the "thump".
Indeed!

I hope you're not buying that...
Old 06-02-05, 05:59 PM
GXPrado
Driver

We are getting close to the 18000 mile limit on the Lemon Law and are seriously considering invoking it.
If you end up Lemoning the GX, PM and I'll buy it!
Old 06-03-05, 06:02 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caha14
Indeed!

I hope you're not buying that...

there's nothing else to do! if i have them open the driveshaft up every so often, then something else is bound to break.

so i've adapted it to it already so that it won't annoy me as much.
Old 06-03-05, 08:35 AM
HoleinOne
Rookie

I'm more worried about the resale value of the vehicle. I'm sure some current owners can learn to live with it; but, will anyone buy such a vehicle if he senses the clunk while test driving it?

I'm infuriated that Lexus has the ***** to declare this the "operational characteristics" of the vehicle after they issued a TSB to try to fix the problem . What's next? If the engine has the tendency to catch on fire and they can't figure out how to fix it, are they also going to declare that as the "normal operational characteristics" of the vehicle? I called a couple of other dealers and it appears that the "rear self-adjusting air suspension" crap is the standard explanation issued by Lexus.

If anyone know of a good Lemon Law attorney in SoCal area, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it.
Old 06-03-05, 10:25 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Its really not that bad

Im sorry holeinone that you are experiencing such a bad case of the drivetrain clunking issue. On my 04 GX I get it maybe one in 75 stops and always when coming to a stop from an offramp of a highway. The thump is minor and occurs very in frequently. It would definitely not stop me from buying a GX. I am very **** when it comes to noises and cars.

If you think this problem is bad go read other SUV forums like BMW X5, Acura MDX, Mercedes, Range Rover, etc each of those vehicles have more electronic, suspension, transmission problems then the GX.
Old 06-03-05, 06:00 PM
man8959
Driver

i brought my car in for clunk, now my steering wheel is offcenter. do you think that they forgot to realignment it. is it true that everytime you take the drivesharft out you need to realignment it?
Old 06-04-05, 07:34 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You still have brakes!

It is a minor problem (assuming we are all talking about the thump) when you really think about it. Please....Please...Don't get ME started about other brands. After a handful of Mercedes Mistakes, I realized that I valued my airbags and brakes working more than having a Mercedes . I'll list my problems with my past cars. You compare:

Mercedes:
E-Classes(3 of them)-
-NO Air conditioning(broken on EVERY SINGLE ONE) [coincidence? I think not!]
-Faulty brakes (thats right, I needed to use EMERGENCY BRAKE to stop at red lights)
-Airbag failure
-Undercarriage rust within first 6 months
-Windshield wiper assembly blew off car while driving
-Premature Driveshaft wear
-Engine failed after 87K miles

Lexus(5 of them):
ES300-
-Engine mounts after 100K miles wore out
-Windshield crack problem

GX470-
-Clunk
-Squeaky seat

All the 3 other Lexuses had ZERO other sizable problems

Compare that and you have the following:
Mercedes= >2 defects per car average
Lexus: <1 defect per car average (4/5 to be exact)

If you look at the types of problems, Mercedes were always more severe. Thats right, I had NO BRAKES once. It took about 1/4 mile to slow down using ordinary brakes from 35 mph. And the fact that my windshield wiper assembly flew off while I was driving amazes me.

Now considdering you still have an engine, brakes, airbags, windshield wipers, air conditioning, and no rust, be a little more optomistic.

Sure, I wish the Lexus didn't clunk. But, for me it is only 1 in about 500 times; nothing to worry about.

My Advice:
I would go to some other dealers untill you get it fixed. If that doesn't help, call up Lexus corporate and maybe you will get some more action done. I know from experience, with my Mercedes, I called the corporate offices and spoke to some high up rep who arranged for me to get a brand new engine after mine basically blew up. I'm sure Lexus would be happy to help out.

If that doesn't work, then be angry. But cool off a little and listen to you Mark Levinson for a while.

The GX is one of the best cars on the road. PERIOD.

Don't worry, be happy! Or try at least .

Good luck bud. Hope it gets fixed.
Old 06-13-05, 12:33 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

My wife's early '04 GX clunks much more often than my late'04 GX. That could be purely unit to unit variation, or it could be that they changed things slightly.
Old 06-18-05, 05:23 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

lucky for u guys to have a smaller list of problems on the GX

1. clunk/thump (2 years ago, i was the first to ever get this, and still have it)
2. Vibration (fixed)
3. creaky seats (only during winter)
4. brake leak (happened after dealer tried to fix clunk) -> happened to both rear brakes
5. rattling moonroof
6. rear door lock jammed (couldn't open rear door, but FIXED)
7. both DRLs (daytime running lights) busted out (should this be considered wear and tear?)
8. should we even consider the first few thousand GX470s with the recall (some of you guys remember this, the pin under the air suspension, GVWR misprint, something under the middle seat on the 2nd row i think also. )

only thing great i got out of being one of the first to have the GX is, the $1k Lexus card i got. it felt so great not to pay for some of the services that are soooo expensive.
Old 06-20-05, 07:44 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Re: problems

I used to get some vibration on the steering wheel but I don't seem to notice it anymore for some reason. I'd like to know what the real reason for it was (I don't think it's the tires). I guessed (right or wrong) that it was driveline harmonics. I got 3500 miles on mine now. I am however starting to notice occasional clunk, not so significant but I do notice it sometimes. I thought it was the A/C compressor turning on and off (used to feel this in Acura). But someone here mentioned rear air suspension. I think I'll try turning off the auto leveling and see what happens (or not).
Old 06-22-05, 09:02 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davidc1
Re: problems

I used to get some vibration on the steering wheel but I don't seem to notice it anymore for some reason. I'd like to know what the real reason for it was (I don't think it's the tires). I guessed (right or wrong) that it was driveline harmonics. I got 3500 miles on mine now. I am however starting to notice occasional clunk, not so significant but I do notice it sometimes. I thought it was the A/C compressor turning on and off (used to feel this in Acura). But someone here mentioned rear air suspension. I think I'll try turning off the auto leveling and see what happens (or not).
at first, i thought it was the a/c compressor too, but it's the self leveling suspension. if you try turning it off, it will turn back on. i've done that before, turned it off, then several minutes later the "Height Control Off" went away.

Quick Reply: Clunk/thump problem with the drive shaft or transmission