GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Does your GX fit in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 10:17 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your GX fit in the garage

Just that does it fit in the garage, I have been looking for an 05 and the GX is taller then my 4Runner and I don't like the idea of parking outside when I have an empty garage but if it does not fit then I gues I'll deal with it, the garage is nice for any kind of weather that is not cool and dry
Old 07-02-04, 11:37 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

i remember seeing posts about this before i got my gx. you might want to look at some of the first ones b/c i think someone actually test drove a gx home to see if it would fit in their garage. according to edmunds.com the specs are:

gx470 - height: 74.6in, width: 74in, length: 188.2in
4runner - height: 71.6in, width: 73.8in, length: 190in

all you really have to worry about is the height. i can't imagine that would be a problem unless your garage door opener hangs low.
Old 07-02-04, 01:30 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Mine fits, but just barely height wise. I have to postion it just right to the left, so the bracket that attaches the motor to the door doesn't hit the ski racks while it opens and closes.

Width wise it is fine, since I have a two car garage and the other side only has a single-place snowmobile trailer in it.

As far as length, not a lot of extra room there either, but I use a squishy brain ball tied to fishing line from the ceiling to know when I am in far enough to close the garage door.

After it is in and the door is closed though, it sure makes my garage look pretty small.
Old 07-02-04, 01:37 PM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was also concerned when I bought mine. My wife has an Explorer Sport so we wanted to make sure the GX would fit. We measured it and found they both should fit. After we got it home they both fit fine, although the space is tight and you cannot open the doors too wide. After a few weeks, we found it was better than we thought and has not posed any problems, although it looks a lot smaller now with 2 SUV's. Having them both fit in the garage was a must for us!

Last edited by CdeFabio; 07-02-04 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 03:38 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Maybe I'll just go take 1 for an extended test drive, the roof rack might be the problem but length and width are good it's the height they kinda skimped on.

In the worst case I'll just be forced to buy a sporty car and park it their so the garage is not empty
Old 07-02-04, 07:14 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Edge, if it's a regular single garage in New York, it's gonna fit without any problem!!
Mine fits and still have much space front and back.
Old 07-02-04, 09:56 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

i think the GX should fit any garage, as long as there are no clutter on the side of it. mine fits, even before i had my garage cleaned the other day, which i had piled up falling boxes on the side of my cars!!!
Old 07-03-04, 01:17 PM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was the one who took it home for a test drive to ensure the fit. For the garage door to close and not hit the roof rack crossbar, the back end has to drop, so I just leave it in the automatic mode that does it when the GX is turned off. Other then that there is no issue having it fit. For this kind of money I would want it stored in the garage and not outside.
Note: My garage is at basement level of the house
Old 07-04-04, 07:01 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine fit just barely [height wise] and in the normal height suspension setting. If I raise it, it will not fit. This will give you an idea of how close it is.

Some garages that are poorly designed may have problems. If it is a fairly new garage and was built with no restrictions or was not converted from an existing family room, you should be ok.
Old 07-04-04, 12:34 PM
LexFather

I doubt Lexus would build a 55k SUV that does not fit in garages and needs to be parked outside.
Old 07-05-04, 10:13 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

House was built in the 70's, it may or may not fit Im gonna be optimistic and say it will but standing next to my 4Runner I can clearly see the roof, the GX is way taller.

The problem might be that the garage opening is big enough but the actual door hangs down an inch lower then the opening so if the door was not their then I could get it in, also gotta look at the center peace that is attached to the door, it hangs just an inch higher then the 4Runners roof rack but I can make it shorter, my Dad use to park his work trucks in the garage, Chevy Suburbans and they would rub on the roof as he pulled in and out well after the 4Runner leaves Im gonna go to Lexus and take some measurements and not that nayone cares but Im gonna eventually completely redo the house, like extreme makeover home edition.

Waiting for the 05

Last edited by <VENOM>; 07-05-04 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-07-04, 07:40 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garaging the GX

Just back from vacation - lots of posts to read thru... EDGE - I think the only way to be sure is to drive it in (with a spotter of course) - my old house (built in 67) my GX did not fit - (my 93 explorer didn't fit either) 6ft garage door. In my new house I think even an Expedition would clear.

Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I made a little sticker (using a label maker) that I placed on the inside tinted part of the windshield to remind me (more importantly my wife who drives a much shorter RX all the time) as to the height of the GX when going to shopping malls/parking garages - we have a few here in Westchester that are only 6ft high door openings.

I know you were talking about residential garages EDGE, but I thought this extra info was fitting for the topic as well.

J Mo
Old 07-08-04, 12:41 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Hope you had a good time while away Johnny Mo I know what you mean about certain garages, I've seen more then a few women in large SUV actually drive in an scrub the roof, back out go park and act like nothin ever happen, would hate to see the husbands when he realizes a foot of paint is gone
Old 07-08-04, 05:45 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

that was a big concern for me when i bought my gx b/c my parking garage at work states 6'1" clearance. luckily, there is only one spot (one of the 2 exits) where the clearance is below 6'5".
Old 11-07-11, 11:52 AM
rxver
Driver School Candidate

Our house was built 1978 and it can easily fit our 2004 GX 470 with roof rack.

Quick Reply: Does your GX fit in the garage