GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Blitz Throttle Controller Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 05:53 AM
MX5Dorifto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blitz Throttle Controller Install

Long time reader, first time poster I recently installed a Blitz e-throttle controller so I thought I'd share the pics.

The kit's pretty simple. It's just a loom, module and the display unit. Comes with the usual JDM package of zip ties, tape etc.

Plugging it in, is easy as pie, at the top of the throttle pedal is this rather large box for the pedal position sensor.

Unplug the stock plug that goes into the throttle sensor and you'll notice that the Blitz plug is a mirror image.

Plugging it all up and tying up the excess wire takes all of 5 mins...

...then you're left with this... The grey box can be cable tied up under the dash easily enough, but the display unit is a little more tricky.

So I removed the centre console (using the stickied instructions for the BT/Navi mod), removed the pop-out ashtray

Got a bit of stiff foam, carved it into a rectangular shape, with an angled top, then painted it black

There's a spring mechanism that pops out the ashtray, so I removed it, which left a hole in the bottom of the ashtray big enough to run the wire thru. Then the display unit is taped to the block of foam. And with the centre console out, it's easy to run the wire behind the dash to where the Blitz brainbox lives.

...and here's the final product!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEvsSSA-Ma8

So far it's been a pretty satisfying little mod.
Old 02-14-09, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very nice! glad you finally signed up and thanks for all the pics and video!
Old 02-14-09, 10:49 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice, RHD also post some feedback after you drive around. I am curios about this myself. Thanks for sharing and great pics and write up!
Old 02-14-09, 04:05 PM
MX5Dorifto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
Nice, RHD also post some feedback after you drive around. I am curios about this myself.
Cheers

Ok well it's true, even the lowest of the 4 settings on the Blitz seems to be friskier than the stock setting, in fact you can easily test it by driving at constant throttle in with the Blitz unit off, then when you turn it on, the car will accelerate as the throttle position increases.

The main difference is that you kill that dead spot just on initial tip-in of the throttle.

On ECO mode, the initial response is much more urgent (even more so than stock POWER mode) then between that initial "touch" and half throttle it goes a bit flat. So it is a good compromise for driving in traffic at low speed, but you notice that beyond that nice initial tip-in, the response is a bit flat. But according to the dash readout the economy does get better, to the tune of 1L/100km.

SP1 mode is pretty much a good setting for everyday. It's got the good tip-in and then some, so in everyday driving you don't use more than say half throttle.

SP2 and SP3 are a little too much, you get a big response to initial tip in (but not to the extent that it's say, too touchy for parking or anything) but my main issue with the more hardcore settings is that the moment you give it a decent jab of the pedal, it kicks down 2 gears. So you have to be gentle with the throttle to avoid the gearbox going all beserk when you just want a little bit of acceleration, not a lot

In the end, yes it's really all in your head and you can achieve the same thing by just stomping on the stock throttle harder And I always figured that in POWER mode the gearbox hung onto gears too long and upshifted too late. Great for hard driving on a winding road but not so much when you just want to squirt between traffic lights, so ideally what I wanted was POWER throttle mapping but NORMAL gearbox setting.

But the Blitz does remove that dead bit of initial throttle travel, which is annoying. Also I think that a V8 should feel like it has lots of torque, and it's not really in character for a V8 car to need to be stoked with lots of throttle for just normal driving, IMHO

So I reckon this just makes the car into what it shoulda been from the factory that's all.
Old 02-14-09, 04:11 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Hey,

Can you do me a favor!

I have the Blitz has well but for example if I am accelerating in SP3 the car will stop accelerating like its in limp mode at around 80-110mph and I quickly change the setting, everything looks normal but stops accelerating at around that speed in SP3 sometimes, please check and advise for me but don't kill youself in the process, hahaha PM SENT!!!!

and the Throttle Controller will remove the speed limiter, 155mph will be your new limit, trust me, improves sportronic shifting in SP3 and SP2 also!

I hid mine below the push-start button....looks OEM, matches interior lights at night also!

and a great write up, TOM's Racing has one but its expensive, Blitz is the same thing with a different brand, $100-$200 cheaper!

Last edited by valgs350; 02-15-09 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-14-09, 04:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by valgs350
Hey,

and the Throttle Controller will remove the speed limiter, 155mph will be your new limit, trust me!

if only the speedo showed higher numbers, it would probably go off the dial.

i wonder if there's a cheaper way to uncap the limiter...

Originally Posted by MX5Dorifto
Cheers

Ok well it's true, even the lowest of the 4 settings on the Blitz seems to be friskier than the stock setting, in fact you can easily test it by driving at constant throttle in with the Blitz unit off, then when you turn it on, the car will accelerate as the throttle position increases.

so now it feels like an infiniti g35. light touch of pedal will jerk the car forward.

Last edited by dunnojack; 02-14-09 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-14-09, 05:04 PM
MX5Dorifto
Driver School Candidate

Hey,

Can you do me a favor!

I have the Blitz has well but for example if I am accelerating in SP3 the car will stop accelerating like its in limp mode at around 80-110mph and I quickly change the setting, everything looks normal must stops accelerating at around that speed in SP3 sometimes, please check and advise for me but don't kill youself in the process, hahaha PM SENT!!!!
Well here's the problem...one of the downsides of living in Australia is that they throw you in the slammer for doing so much as 1mph over the speed limit. Since 110mph is 50mph over the highway limit, that's like a 12mth mandatory jail term over here So if it does stop accelerating at 110 in SP3 I'll take your word for it :lol:

and a great write up, TOM's Racing has one but its expensive, Blitz is the same thing with a different brand, $100-$200 cheaper!
True! Shame Blitz doesn't do a cheaper version of the TOMS GT Shifter too...I tried to do the rervse-tiptronic mod as posted on the 2IS forums but our wiring is a leeetle bit different
Old 02-14-09, 05:42 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^lol...yea dont get in trouble

Thanks for the response back. I wonder what would be the difference with this and getting the car tuned? If I have the car tuned after all mods will this still help with throttle response or will the fact of tuning the car replace that?
Old 02-14-09, 06:24 PM
MX5Dorifto
Driver School Candidate

I get the feeling that the throttle mapping is actually 3 dimensional, which is to say that not only is the stock mapping not linear, but there is also a time-delay to stomping the throttle and then the ecu opening the actual throttle progressively.

There isn't anything we can do about that, short of replacing the ecu with a standalone, but the Blitz thing does make it a lot better, more like a normal car.

But I figure that any other mods you do will still be subject to the stock throttle map, so you won't really be getting the full response benefit until you fit something like the Blitz thing.
Old 02-15-09, 12:11 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MX5Dorifto
Well here's the problem...one of the downsides of living in Australia is that they throw you in the slammer for doing so much as 1mph over the speed limit. Since 110mph is 50mph over the highway limit, that's like a 12mth mandatory jail term over here So if it does stop accelerating at 110 in SP3 I'll take your word for it :lol:

True! Shame Blitz doesn't do a cheaper version of the TOMS GT Shifter too...I tried to do the rervse-tiptronic mod as posted on the 2IS forums but our wiring is a leeetle bit different

That Toms Gt Shifter is my spring mod, haha

It doesn't stop at 110mph in SP3 all the time I would say 1 out of 4 times it does but usually when I am r______ing or running at willow springs raceway, it just varies, trying to find a pattern so I can tell a friend at Blitz!

Otherwise I love it!

I couldn't live in Australia, I would be in jail for life, lol

Last edited by valgs350; 02-15-09 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-15-09, 10:37 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thx for posting about your blitz install and experience! i would be so all over this mod, but it's not applicable for my GS!
Old 02-15-09, 04:44 PM
Babalouie
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine's a GS430 and Blitz lists the same part number for GS350 and GS460...sadly nothing for Hybrid tho.
Old 02-15-09, 07:41 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

good job! ...let's see it in action now
Old 02-15-09, 07:42 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by retrospexo
good job! ...let's see it in action now
LOL, do you want a video???
Old 02-16-09, 04:10 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a question Dorifto, so would you say buying the Blitz Throttle Controller is worth it just to get rid of the delay of the throttle and the "electronic and fly-by-wire feel"? Sometimes that early delay bugs the crap out of me

Quick Reply: Blitz Throttle Controller Install