GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New mod: DVD headrest monitor/player

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 10:54 PM
jr1966
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New mod: DVD headrest monitor/player

After my ipod adapter, this is my 2nd mod. Invision Revolution III DVD Headrest System.

These have independent DVD players in each headrest and comes with 2 remotes and 2 infrared headsets, TV tuner, and concealed A/V ports for games or whatever. Sound is routed through FM radio.

These were special ordered with matching leather which is possible as the Lexus dealer in my area is also the exclusive factory authorized distributor of these DVD players.

As these are independent DVD players for each headrest, each passenger can play their own program. Or player 1 can provide the program for the 2nd monitor.

Expen$$$ive, but at least my kids are enjoying the ride much more which makes it worth it.
Old 01-19-09, 11:07 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

great mod! damn lucky kids! sure it ain't for you?
Old 01-19-09, 11:51 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

looks nice, 1st 3GS with headrest screens on the forum :P well from what i tell anyways. BTW is it HD? You shud put this in the Official Mod thread :P
Old 01-20-09, 03:32 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

very nice. i plan on doing the same sometime soon. i just dont like how the buttons show.
Old 01-20-09, 04:16 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice! I have been thinking about this one for awhile. Would like more info on how the power sources is supplied etc.
Old 01-20-09, 06:20 AM
tripleJs15
Rookie

Looks great.

My wife have been on me to get some of these, however I'm looking for just heardrest monitors without the DVD players, but can't seem to find any....
Old 01-20-09, 09:56 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Me too!

Nice mod! The OEM headrest on the 3gen GS doesnt allow much so you kind of have to change them out. That is what I have been looking to find is something that flows and will fit a monitor. Anyone have any suggestions or done this please PM me. Thank you!
Old 01-20-09, 10:21 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jr1966
Expen$$$ive, but at least my kids are enjoying the ride much more which makes it worth it.
I bought a dual-screen portable DVD player from BestBuy specifically designed for the head-rest attachment. Total cost $150 and works great. Of course, it doesn't look nearly as cool as your setup.
Old 01-20-09, 11:39 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great. what is the quality of the picture when a dvd is playing? This is almost a must have if you have kids
Old 01-20-09, 11:46 AM
beercity
Rookie

nice mod! 100 bottles of beer on the wall for our fam.
Old 01-20-09, 12:06 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks great, what I would love to be able to do is to tap into the nav screen display headrest monitors can display whatever is on there....with ML I can play DVDs for the kids anyways
Old 01-20-09, 12:44 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Looks great, what I would love to be able to do is to tap into the nav screen display headrest monitors can display whatever is on there....with ML I can play DVDs for the kids anyways
I am working on this. If we can get it to work I will let you know what we had to do. I need to find new headrests first as the OEM will only allow a very small monitor. I dont see why it cant be done but I posted and no one responded so I can only assume that no one has done this. I see more mods in your future
Old 01-20-09, 05:34 PM
jr1966
Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
great mod! damn lucky kids! sure it ain't for you?
Partly for me and partly for the car. For me so I don't get too much bothered by the kids when I'm driving. For the car so they sit down and don't mess up on the rear seats too much.

Originally Posted by Heng350
looks nice, 1st 3GS with headrest screens on the forum :P well from what i tell anyways. BTW is it HD? You shud put this in the Official Mod thread :P
Ain't the 1st one. I saw a recent thread a couple of months ago but the leather on the headrest didn't quite match the leather seats. I don't think it's HD. Don't need HD to play cartoons for the kids. Besides, everything looks clear with small screens.

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
very nice. i plan on doing the same sometime soon. i just dont like how the buttons show.
Yeah, but it's better to have buttons show (in my case) so the kids can be able to operate the DVD player without using the remote. That's actually a plus for me.

Originally Posted by ecount00
nice! I have been thinking about this one for awhile. Would like more info on how the power sources is supplied etc.
Can't answer that as the Lexus dealer installed it for me as they are also the dealer for this brand of DVD players.

Originally Posted by tripleJs15
Looks great.

My wife have been on me to get some of these, however I'm looking for just heardrest monitors without the DVD players, but can't seem to find any....
That is going to be very difficult. And the only way you could put screens on the OEM headrest is to use very small screens that can fit into the plastic housing behind the headrest.

Originally Posted by Modeler
I bought a dual-screen portable DVD player from BestBuy specifically designed for the head-rest attachment. Total cost $150 and works great. Of course, it doesn't look nearly as cool as your setup.
I know what you are talking about. I do have those in my Jeep Wrangler. It's great for the Jeep as the player can easily be removed if I switch from the hardtop to the safari top during the dry season.

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
looks great. what is the quality of the picture when a dvd is playing? This is almost a must have if you have kids
Quality of the picture is excellent.

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
That is actually a cool idea. I've thought about that but I decided I want to the touch screen controls to be always accessible to me and the integrated CD changer's contents to be all to myself as I'm still having some issues with my ipod adapter.
Old 01-20-09, 07:39 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Sweet idea! Looks great -
The following users liked this post:
GeniusGS (06-12-20)
Old 01-20-09, 08:34 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

you got some lucky kids....