GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replacement transmission sources?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 01:32 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Replacement transmission sources?

If anyone remembers my post from three years ago, my '01 GS430 with then 40,000 miles just lost its second transmission, which was replaced under warranty by the dealer.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ing-gs430.html

Sadly, the day has now come where at 85,000 miles, transmission #3 is biting the dust (as we speculated in that thread may happen), and I am in search of transmission #4 (but now I am out of warranty).

A couple of questions - what chance do I have at getting a break from the dealer, given that the car needed a third transmission while still in warranty, and now needs a fourth, just 15K miles after powertrain warranty runs out?

That aside, what would you all recommend for replacement transmissions? The dealer parts guy says it's about $2800 for a rebuilt unit. I also see them being sold used for $800-$1500, from wrecked cars with <100K miles - is that a good option?

Lastly, haven't looked underneath yet to see what's involved in swapping out a trans on the 430 - how difficult a job is it? I am very mechanically inclined, but just want to understand if it's a four hour, day, or weekend project?

Thanks in advance guys and gals,

Leon
Old 05-21-09, 02:18 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Strange how you've had the transmission go out 4 times. Can't you file it as a lemon or something and get some of your money back? I think the law is 3 times of any major REPEATED repair. I think you might quality in your situation. It's very rare for a transmission to go out on these car. I drive the hell out of my car and I've only gone through 1 transmission. I rebuilt it with new clutchpacks and it was good to go again.

Anyways, if you want to know how to do it just read the below.

I work on these cars all the time, so I'm pretty familiar with them. IF I'm motivated(paid well by someone or need to rush my car to the track ) to finish it quickly, I can usually swap out a transmission in about 3-4 hours. It's not too bad really, the hard part is putting the transmission back into the car because everything has to be line up perfectly. I'm actually going to be pulling my transmission off tomorrow to upgrade the torque converter. I might take some pix and write up a guide. But keep in mind, the guide would be for a GS300. Still, it will help you get a general idea of what is involved. Oh and also I'm doing this in my garage on jack stands lol. If I had access to a lift then I could finish it in about half the time

The following procedure is for a GS300. GS4/430 might be different, but overall very similar procedure.
Basic steps:
1. Jack up car, put jackstands in. Secure car and make sure it won't roll. Best to be doing this job on flat concrete. Make sure parking brake is on(once trans is disconnected there is nothing preventing car from rolling back because park won't be there without a trans lol) and put bricks/wood/or wheel chocks under the rear tires. Drain all transmission fluid including that going to the lines/trans cooler.
2. Secure transmission jack under the transmission, and fasten some kind of harness so trans does not fall off the jack when bolts are loosened. I've had it happen a few times where the trans slipped off the jack...needless to say it wasn't fun lol.
3. Unbolts 3 bolts going from driveshaft to transmission. Slide driveshaft towards back of car and it should pop out of the trans mating flange. Also undo the 4 bolts on the transmission mount.
4. Disconnect the two oil cooler fittings leading to the right side of the transmission(make sure you have a pan under there because the lines will drip for a while and make a mess). Disconnect shift linkage. Since trans is lowered by unbolting rear mount, it will be tilted downwards. You can go ahead and reach in and disconnect the 4-5 connectors going to the transmission. If you can't get all of them then don't worry too much. Just try to pull off as many as you can. Also, disconnect the battery at this point and go ahead and disconnect the 2 wires going to the starter.
5. Remove rubber front access cover to the torque converter. It's under the oil pan of the engine between the pan and transmission. Have someone hold the crank in place while you loosen the 6 bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate.
6. Get behind the transmission and use long extensions(I'm talking like 4-6ft or so of extensions) and remove all the top bolts on the transmission. Using an impact gun makes this about 10x easier. Otherwise you will need to find a way to fit a breaker bar in there while still being able to get enough leverage.
7. Once the bolts are off, the transmission should just drop off the engine. Be careful that you have securely mounted the trans to the trans jack! Otherwise this is a good time for the trans to be sneaky on you and fall off lol. Don't ask me how I know
8. Now lower the transmission jack, and pull the old trans out of the car. Get the new unit and replace it in reverse order.

I'll get some pictures and a writeup soon.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 05-21-09 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-21-09, 02:50 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Jeff, thanks, I was glad to hear from you as I know you work with these cars a lot (understatement).

So the R&R does not sound that much more complex than what I have done a number of times in old-fashioned American V8 cars. It would be great to see some photos if you are kind enough to post them, but the project as you desrcibed does not scare me so far .

Any thoughts on getting a $700 used (wrecked car) trans vs a $2800 Lexus rebuilt unit?

As for Lemon Law, I do plan to at least visit the dealer that replaced the second transmission and try to plead my case, so I won't go down without a fight. Like you and others have said here, and as the Lexus parts guy confirmed, these transmissions are very reliable and durable, so clearly something is seriously awry with my car now needing a 4th transmission at 85K miles.

I guess if that fails, I will try 800-25LEXUS, and see where that gets me, but they have not been very helpful in the past, as I recall.

Thanks again Jeff.
Old 05-22-09, 02:16 AM
dwoods420
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you think trans #3 is not working??
What is the car doing??
Old 05-22-09, 10:45 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Why would the transmission go out for the 3rd time?! What's exactly that is causing the problem? I got an '03 GS430 w/ 96k, transmission still shifting properly..
Old 05-22-09, 11:08 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwoods420
Why do you think trans #3 is not working??
What is the car doing??
It's doing the same thing it did at 27K and 40K miles - put in in D, and nothing happens. After a few D to R to D cycles, it engages.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...any-ideas.html

Both of those previous times the dealer replaced the transmission, saying they found signs of "shaving and scoring in the transmission".
Old 05-22-09, 11:43 AM
lilsharky
Pole Position

could it be the ecu? i think that was the problem for rav4s
Old 05-27-09, 12:48 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

We'll see soon enough... I took the car to the dealer today for diagnosis. Also already called Lexus Corporate, who said "this does not sound right" (four transmissions in 85K miles), but also were quick to point out to me that I am out of warranty. But they may consider "goodwill gesture" depending on what the dealer finds. Stay tuned.
Old 06-08-09, 02:24 PM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same Boat

I'm in the same boat - needing a new transmission that is. Current tranny with 145K is slipping between gears 2 - 3 and 3 - 4. It doesn't appear that the prior owner did any maintenance.

I'm begin quoted 2800 from the local Lexus dealer for a remanufactured one. Is that a reasonable price? Should I look elsewhere?
Old 06-08-09, 03:11 PM
dwoods420
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CPALex
I'm in the same boat - needing a new transmission that is. Current tranny with 145K is slipping between gears 2 - 3 and 3 - 4. It doesn't appear that the prior owner did any maintenance.

I'm begin quoted 2800 from the local Lexus dealer for a remanufactured one. Is that a reasonable price? Should I look elsewhere?
Yes. My trans went bad in a es300 from a stupid tow truck driver. Got one with less miles then mine from a Junk yard for $450.00. Never had any problems with it. Check the junk yards.
Old 06-09-09, 10:53 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CPALex

As it was mentioned, there are reputable yards around I am sure. Now finding one for a 430 at a reasonable price will be the tough part. www.car-part.com, and fill out the info and see what you come up with. As far as the dealer... they will assess you and deal with you accordingly, if your ok with paying that money they are going to quote you that price. If you go in there and tell them how F'ing mad you are about their poor service, yada yada, yada, everyone is always saying it's going to be 3 grand here, 4 here. I would simply express your feelings to the service manager and go from there. I know from experience, that the dealer will work with you a little bit. How much, depends on how persistant you are, and how important you make your business sound. After all, Lexus knows that if you walk away, your likely to tell 1-2 people, but if you walk away upset, your likely to tell 10 people. I should now, I went through it.
Old 06-09-09, 11:30 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just tell them you're an active member on several Lexus forums and you will spread the word about their dealership/customer service. Wether it will be good or negative will be up to whatever the dealer decides to do. Obviously if they help you out then you will speak positively of them and spread the word, and thus they will possibly get more customers to buy cars from them in the future. The opposite is true if they just give you the shaft.

Still though, there is something else wrong if you're going through that many transmissions. Also, don't forget to keep trying to pursue lemon law. I know a few people that have sucessfully had their cars bought back after having numerous repeated failures even after the warranty was expired. Whatever BS the dealer is trying to tell you about these cars having issues with transmissions is exactly that...100% BS. Many members on here easily go 250k+ on their original transmissions!
Old 06-09-09, 11:54 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Just tell them you're an active member on several Lexus forums and you will spread the word about their dealership/customer service. Wether it will be good or negative will be up to whatever the dealer decides to do. Obviously if they help you out then you will speak positively of them and spread the word, and thus they will possibly get more customers to buy cars from them in the future. The opposite is true if they just give you the shaft.

Still though, there is something else wrong if you're going through that many transmissions. Also, don't forget to keep trying to pursue lemon law. I know a few people that have sucessfully had their cars bought back after having numerous repeated failures even after the warranty was expired. Whatever BS the dealer is trying to tell you about these cars having issues with transmissions is exactly that...100% BS. Many members on here easily go 250k+ on their original transmissions!
I'm trying these tactics with Lexus Corporate, they said they need to talk again to the Area Manager, whatever that means.

The thing that burns me up is that the problem was clearly evident while still in the warranty period, as the first tranny died at 27K and the replacement one 13K later... The third one lasted 45K, woo hoo . So my argument is that they never found or fixed the root cause, they only treated the symptom. And I can understand how that happens, as they make no money on warranty repairs, so why bother looking for underlying root causes - just swap the tranny and be done, right?

Really, my bigger fear is that unless a root cause is found (eg a blocked or dirty cooler), I have no reason to expect even a remanufactured transmission to last more than 30-40K, based on past experience. If that is the case, I am probably better off putting in a junk yard tranny and selling the car, which I would hate to do.

So far I found a range of options, from high mileage junkyard units at $600-$800, to low mileage ones at $1300, to remanufactured ones at $2800... Haven't decided yet which way to go, it'll depend on what Corporate says and whether someone finds why these trannies keep dying in this car.
Old 06-09-09, 12:26 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lilsharky
could it be the ecu? i think that was the problem for rav4s
It is a problem for Rav4's. I had the recall ECU reflash on my 02 Rav4 and now the transmission shifts so much smoother than before. Sounds like a software issue with your GS OP..
Old 06-09-09, 01:42 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It is a problem for Rav4's. I had the recall ECU reflash on my 02 Rav4 and now the transmission shifts so much smoother than before. Sounds like a software issue with your GS OP..
Good point, that (software/ECU) is certainly another interface between the tranny and the car, just like the cooler. But I have not heard of any problems in the GS430 in that area, and all mechanics said there are no codes - so what could I reasonably try to do to see if that's the problem? What does the ECU do that could cause the trannies to actually fail?

Quick Reply: Replacement transmission sources?