GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

2016 GSF humming noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 05:45 PM
hoodrat21
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBaumer
Hey guys, the annoying as hell low pressure pump humming was fixed by the reflash.🤗There’s also a great side affect of the ECM Reflash ... It took out the learned conservative first buyers driving habits from my ECM. With my RR Racing tuned intake tube & heat shield & hi flow air filter, I’m now able to help the ECM learn my more aggressive driving habits... I read on RR Racing tech site that our cars ECM will learn a great deal after a reflash

over the first 50 miles or so and adjust to your driving style... So I’ve been using the sport+ and the manual mode along with a heavy foot last couple of days...🙄 I’ve noticed the Car has better shift points and responds better to my throttle inputs..😏. I traded in a RCF for this GSF , and that cars ECM Parameters was definitely leaning more on the aggressive side... Even the wife said that before the reflash this car seamed slower the the RCF, But now it’s got some pep...😂
yeah I've noticed this too..I don't know if its just me or the car response is better than before..
Old 10-17-19, 08:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

They disconnect the battery to reset everything after the reflash. Toyota ECMs learn very quickly, and they are constantly adjusting short term (ST) and long term (LT) fuel parameters, constantly adjusting ignition and cam timing as a result of sensor inputs, and they check/double check all kinds of things in operation.

The reflash isn't what changed the car. Just resetting the ECM and driving differently does that. Even my Supra does this. It has been part of TCCS since the beginning in the 80's.
Old 10-18-19, 10:11 AM
Aznluder
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They disconnect the battery to reset everything after the reflash. Toyota ECMs learn very quickly, and they are constantly adjusting short term (ST) and long term (LT) fuel parameters, constantly adjusting ignition and cam timing as a result of sensor inputs, and they check/double check all kinds of things in operation.

The reflash isn't what changed the car. Just resetting the ECM and driving differently does that. Even my Supra does this. It has been part of TCCS since the beginning in the 80's.
mine just started making the noise a few days ago. Taking it in for servicing tomorrow.
Old 06-13-20, 06:26 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I now hear the humming noise/ whirling sound behind the drivers seat area......
Never had it before....until now
2016 GSF 14,200 on the odometer
Old 06-17-20, 08:52 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMA
I now hear the humming noise/ whirling sound behind the drivers seat area......
Never had it before....until now
2016 GSF 14,200 on the odometer
i just picked up my 2016 gsf in California and after driving for a little while we came to a stop put it in park and notice a weird hummin noise from the rear like you mentioned, did not think anything of it till reading this thread. I am gonna check the service history and see if it was done before.
The following users liked this post:
RC51TOFUMA (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 09:53 AM
hoodrat21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blackisF08
i just picked up my 2016 gsf in California and after driving for a little while we came to a stop put it in park and notice a weird hummin noise from the rear like you mentioned, did not think anything of it till reading this thread. I am gonna check the service history and see if it was done before.
Just go to your dealer and tell them to reset the ecm to correct the issue..there is a TSB for low fuel pump whirring noise.
RC51TOFUMA (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 09:56 AM
hoodrat21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hoodrat21
its not about the mods..there's a recall too for that low pressure pump humming noise..just tell them reporgram it and it will disappear..show this service history to them.

show this record to the dealer.
RC51TOFUMA (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 12:09 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

thanks guys.......
will schedule for the end of the month after I install the AFE Intake
Old 06-26-20, 10:47 AM
4evervbp
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah same humming noise from my car to just needed that reflash and it was gone.
Old 06-28-20, 07:43 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4evervbp
Yeah same humming noise from my car to just needed that reflash and it was gone.
got my AFE Intake installed....going to schedule the ReFlash this week ...or next
Old 11-20-20, 06:14 AM
sashi
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys. I just started having this issue. Mine is a 2016. I called service department and I asked if I had any "recall" done before(couldn't remember). They said I have done it previously and wanted to charge me like $150ish just to inspect it. Should I just go directly to my service advisor and show him this thread? Also any advice on whether I have to pay for this or not? Thx for any immediate feedback guys.
Old 11-20-20, 07:48 AM
TheBaumer
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Go get it redone...

Originally Posted by sashi
Hey guys. I just started having this issue. Mine is a 2016. I called service department and I asked if I had any "recall" done before(couldn't remember). They said I have done it previously and wanted to charge me like $150ish just to inspect it. Should I just go directly to my service advisor and show him this thread? Also any advice on whether I have to pay for this or not? Thx for any immediate feedback guys.
My suggestion would be to go back pay the $150 and have them reflash it. Before I let them reflash it I would take a video of the sound before the reflash right in front of the service advisor ,and then compare it with the cars sound after the reflash.... make them admit the reflash did in fact fix the issue again... I bet the reflash was never done in the first place. Your $150 should be re-credited. Best of luck to ya, El
Old 11-20-20, 08:03 AM
sashi
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBaumer
My suggestion would be to go back pay the $150 and have them reflash it. Before I let them reflash it I would take a video of the sound before the reflash right in front of the service advisor ,and then compare it with the cars sound after the reflash.... make them admit the reflash did in fact fix the issue again... I bet the reflash was never done in the first place. Your $150 should be re-credited. Best of luck to ya, El
Thx for the feedback Baumer. But if they never did the reflash, shouldn't they just do a comp? Also the humming noise is "on & off"(not at all times during idle).
Old 11-21-20, 07:28 AM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have a video containing the sound? I have a suspicious feeling I’m hearing the same sound from time to time.
Old 11-21-20, 07:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by sashi
PM me your VIN and I can look it up in TIS and tell you if it's been done before and which dealer did it.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
anbark22 (11-21-20), Joe Z (11-21-20)

Quick Reply: 2016 GSF humming noise?