GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Is every dealer visit a clown show ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 01:59 PM
kbot415
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel your pain. Although I've dealt with some asshat lexus dealerships here in the Bay Area, for the most part, they are fairly decent. The hard truth though is that the only reason they behave is from fierce competition (there are probably 7-10 lexus dealerships in a 50 mile radius). Because of this, most are more than willing to negotiate.
Old 05-06-19, 02:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Good Gosh

I'm 80 years old and have been buying cars, motorcycles, and trucks since 1957, new since 1962. On both coasts and now in Arizona. I have never been treated badly by a dealer or a member of it's sales force. When I worked, my profession was in the procurement field for a large defense contractor. In any large purchase I made whether professionally or personal. I always tried to establish a rapport with the organization or person I was purchasing from. I always approached each buying situation as a win-win. A win-lose is never healthy for anyone.

One I gained the sellers respect, things usually went well. However, over the years I found making a living buying for my employer, ultimately Uncle Sam, was far more changeling than buying for myself.

Lou
Old 05-06-19, 04:02 PM
Nerrvd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can’t speak for other dealers but the one I recommend everyone to skip is Bayridge Lexus in Brooklyn. Sold me a CPO RCF that I later found out it had some front damage that had the windshield replaced and substantial front body work. I’m sure they knew but yet still pushed to sell as CPO for the extra buck.
Old 05-06-19, 04:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Nerrvd
Can’t speak for other dealers but the one I recommend everyone to skip is Bayridge Lexus in Brooklyn. Sold me a CPO RCF that I later found out it had some front damage that had the windshield replaced and substantial front body work. I’m sure they knew but yet still pushed to sell as CPO for the extra buck.
Nerrvd - Apparently you are not aware that Lexus (and other car makers) can CPO a vehicle that has received damage with up to 3-4 panels replaced or repainted and still pass certification. In other words, a vehicle that has been in a wreck can absolutely still receive CPO certification.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-06-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 05:55 AM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Nerrvd - Apparently you are not aware that Lexus (and other car makers) can CPO a vehicle that has received damage with up to 3-4 panels replaced or repainted and still pass certification. In other words, a vehicle that has been in a wreck can absolutely still receive CPO certification.
Technically and legally you might be right, but ethically it is a real scum bag way to do business. Not morally something to be proud of.

like I said in a previous quote, Lexus dealerships have drastically changed in the last 5-10 years, and not for the better.
Old 05-07-19, 11:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftcgsf
Technically and legally you might be right, but ethically it is a real scum bag way to do business. Not morally something to be proud of.

like I said in a previous quote, Lexus dealerships have drastically changed in the last 5-10 years, and not for the better.
It's true that some Lexus dealerships will not offer a Lexus vehicle that has been wrecked and repaired as CPO certified, or even one that requires anything more than maybe a bumper to be repainted...while other Lexus dealerships are not near as principled. Other car brand dealerships like BMW, M-B, Infiniti have the same CPO requirements as Lexus and I'm sure some of their dealerships are not as moralistic either.

Personally, I would tend to shy away from a dealership that CPO certifies a wrecked/repaired vehicle. Something like a front bumper repaint is okay, but even with that I think they should purposely reveal it.
Old 05-08-19, 02:48 AM
akshunj
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
You will also have to watch your back when bringing in the car for service.
I brought one of my GSF's in for some tire work and the advisor tried to sell me some brake work. He stated that my pads have 1mil left and he has new ones that don't squeak. He quoted $1600 for them.
I believe the GSF has brake wear warning sensors, and I have never seen them activated in my car.
A CL member recently posted that Lexus Canada issued a TSB for squeaking brakes, and would replace them for free.
I politely declined the proposed brake job, and will not use the same advisor again.
I always tell them not to disassemble the brakes for inspection, because when they do they never regrease the pads/shims and then there's tons of squeal. Irritating AF. Plus you have to tell them to skip the complimentary wash, because that's a hack job as well.