GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Used GSF vs New ES F SPORT

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 10:42 AM
shu5892001
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

This is almost like comparing a m5 with a Camry.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (03-20-19)
Old 03-20-19, 12:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

^^^^No, it's exactly like that!

Lou
signdetres (03-20-19)
Old 03-20-19, 03:47 PM
hillsnow
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Haha I feel like I'm definitely going to want the GSF after reading these comments. I am not really acquainted with driving an automatic in manual mode but I would like to learn. I may ask the salesman to drive it in manual so I can see how it is. How difficult would you say it is to pick up on a car like the GSF?
Thanks
Old 03-20-19, 03:53 PM
shu5892001
Pit Crew

Beware that the manual mode shifts very slow and sometime won’t shift when the car is not up to optimal temperatures which I doubt you will reach during a test drive.

I don’t think there is anything in particular you need to learn to “pick up” driving this car as it is automatic, just put it in sport + mode and feel it for yourself. Be careful at first if you are new to high hp rwd cars though.
hillsnow (03-20-19)
Old 03-21-19, 01:46 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
you can't compare a front wheel drive vs a rwd platform

they did a great job with ES f sport

it has fwd bias
it has an issue with wheel spin especially in wet till they get AWD

and the rwd platform in the gs 5 years old is still more fun, and tossable

i test drove the f sport for half hour and liked the car, the seats for long drives and non awd made the decision easy to not think about it
It took awhile but you spoke my mind. For pure performance, go GSF. Luxury, go ES. There is a reason there are no FWD exotic sports cars or in F1.
Old 03-21-19, 02:59 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I would never cross shop these 2 models but good to see insight from others that have done comparisons.
Old 03-21-19, 06:05 PM
embassured
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The GSF (used or new) represents a fairly significant premium over a similar year/mileage GS F Sport. So...if a NEW ES F Sport is actually being considered then the GSF seems like a needless outlay of cash. If you value performance, V8. RWD, technical go-fast goodies, and reliability, in the words of Risky Business - there is no substitute for the GSF - but it's a heck of a price (acquisition, insurance, care and feeding) increase relative to anything that represents a more comfortable and efficient choice. You gotta really WANT a GSF and if you don't, then it's really overkill. The ES is great choice - no doubt but I would cross it for normal driving duties with a lightly used GS F Sport and save some coin.

Good luck!
Old 03-23-19, 11:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by shu5892001
Beware that the manual mode shifts very slow and sometime won’t shift when the car is not up to optimal temperatures which I doubt you will reach during a test drive.

I don’t think there is anything in particular you need to learn to “pick up” driving this car as it is automatic, just put it in sport + mode and feel it for yourself. Be careful at first if you are new to high hp rwd cars though.
That's confusing. Manual mode shifts very slow compared to what? It's definitely quicker than any three pedal car I have ever owned. Not as quick at a DCT, and not linear like an electric, but it's quick enough to downshift in the middle of hairpin turn on the track and not upset the chassis, AMHIK.

Agreed there is no magic to driving in manual mode, and IMHO, I wouldn't bother with Sport or Sport+, just slide the shifter left and use the paddles. If you know how to drive a three pedal car, you'll have zero issues with paddle shifters.

I also think if you are cross shopping the ES and GS F, you're probably going to be unhappy with the GS F.
Old 03-23-19, 11:29 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

^^^^Or any other Lexus other than ones labeled with a REAL "F" or an LC 500.

Lou
Old 03-23-19, 12:06 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's confusing. Manual mode shifts very slow compared to what? It's definitely quicker than any three pedal car I have ever owned. Not as quick at a DCT, and not linear like an electric, but it's quick enough to downshift in the middle of hairpin turn on the track and not upset the chassis, AMHIK.

Agreed there is no magic to driving in manual mode, and IMHO, I wouldn't bother with Sport or Sport+, just slide the shifter left and use the paddles. If you know how to drive a three pedal car, you'll have zero issues with paddle shifters.

I also think if you are cross shopping the ES and GS F, you're probably going to be unhappy with the GS F.

I think the UPshifts are crazy fast. It’s the downshifts that are slow. Whether auto or manual mode it’s slower than other autos I’ve owned. Example: going 60 or 70 on the highway in manual mode, floor it while clicking down 4 times, THEN it will go 7...6...5...4 in order (slowly) as it’s downshifitng.

Another example: while going 50 I floored it. It downshifted twice while floored before it found the best gear. I did it again a few minutes later and it went straight from 7 to 3rd (best gear). Who knows

Last edited by shenry500; 03-23-19 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 12:55 PM
shu5892001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Slow compare to the shifts when the car is fully warmed up and is at optimal operating temperature, since OP mentioned that he wants to try manual mode during the test drive. From my experience when it is very cold out the shifts are sometimes slow or refuse to shift even after driving for 15 mins.
Old 03-23-19, 03:00 PM
embassured
Rookie

I think shifting speed may also be influenced by the telemertric inputs; i.e. braking, speed, yaw, and steering sensors. In Sport+ and during extremely aggressive driving, the downshifts have almost caught me off-guard going hard into corners. The shift mapping behavior seemed to increase commensurately with how hard the car was being pushed or at least it seemed more aggressive than simply straight line braking in Sport+.
Old 03-24-19, 04:07 PM
hillsnow
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

So I just got back from test driving them both a few hours ago. It was a great time! I started with the ES 350 F-sport. The ES was a nice looking car with a comfortable interior. When we took the car on the highway, it was quite hesitant to accelerate as quickly as I wanted it too. Aside from that, it was very quiet on the highway but overall a little mundane. HOWEVER, the GS-F was the exact opposite. I was not expecting to like it as much as I did to be honest. I started up the car and it was much louder (in a good way) than I had anticipated. It felt much more substantial than the ES, which I liked. The seats were extremely comfortable and I loved how it felt like they were wrapping around you because of the bolstering. As soon as we pulled out of the dealership in the GS-F we hit a red light. When it turned green I pressed it hard and it was fantastic! It moved quickly, though not uncomfortably fast and it had a lot of control. I was never afraid that it was going to swerve or do anything strange due to hard acceleration. Eventually we took the same path as the ES and swung onto the highway. I pushed it hard again and the engine burst to life. I soon found myself going 80 on the highway and blowing past other cars. The seats were, again, very comfortable and it felt like both a fun sports car and a mile eater because of its plush yet firm ride. It was really cool at some points because the engine gets significantly louder when the RPM's get up there on the highway. I don't think the technician (salesman was busy???) was expecting me to go that fast but he did not say anything. Funny thing I noticed, the turn signal is so hard to hear in that car because of 1) the sound of the blinker itself is quiet and 2) the engine is pretty loud so I found myself with the blinker on twice without even noticing! This test drive definitely convinced me that I want to go with the GS-F. I look forward to purchasing one in the coming future! Please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions.
Old 03-24-19, 06:46 PM
embassured
Rookie

<<Please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions.>>
Read every GSF article you can find, revel in the details discovered, and ENJOY the hunt for your next machine! Finding the right combo of quality and price is one of the best parts of the experience!

Have a blast and look forward to you finding your perfect ride!
hillsnow (03-24-19)
Old 03-24-19, 07:03 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hillsnow
So I just got back from test driving them both a few hours ago. It was a great time! I started with the ES 350 F-sport. The ES was a nice looking car with a comfortable interior. When we took the car on the highway, it was quite hesitant to accelerate as quickly as I wanted it too. Aside from that, it was very quiet on the highway but overall a little mundane. HOWEVER, the GS-F was the exact opposite. I was not expecting to like it as much as I did to be honest. I started up the car and it was much louder (in a good way) than I had anticipated. It felt much more substantial than the ES, which I liked. The seats were extremely comfortable and I loved how it felt like they were wrapping around you because of the bolstering. As soon as we pulled out of the dealership in the GS-F we hit a red light. When it turned green I pressed it hard and it was fantastic! It moved quickly, though not uncomfortably fast and it had a lot of control. I was never afraid that it was going to swerve or do anything strange due to hard acceleration. Eventually we took the same path as the ES and swung onto the highway. I pushed it hard again and the engine burst to life. I soon found myself going 80 on the highway and blowing past other cars. The seats were, again, very comfortable and it felt like both a fun sports car and a mile eater because of its plush yet firm ride. It was really cool at some points because the engine gets significantly louder when the RPM's get up there on the highway. I don't think the technician (salesman was busy???) was expecting me to go that fast but he did not say anything. Funny thing I noticed, the turn signal is so hard to hear in that car because of 1) the sound of the blinker itself is quiet and 2) the engine is pretty loud so I found myself with the blinker on twice without even noticing! This test drive definitely convinced me that I want to go with the GS-F. I look forward to purchasing one in the coming future! Please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions.
I bought my first GSF after the test drive. It's a car you can enjoy driving fast or slow or anything in between. Good luck with your search. Make sure you get one with the HUD, It helps to keep your eyes at road level when driving fast.

Quick Reply: Used GSF vs New ES F SPORT