GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Looking to buy a GSF what should i look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 09:33 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Looking to buy a GSF what should i look out for?

I currently own a 15 GS 350 F-Sport and I want to pick up a GSF (most likely a 16). I don't suspect much has changed on them from the 16 models. As i live in Canada its hard to find them as there are literally none at any of the dealerships anywhere near me and I can't find anything privately within Canada which means I probably won't be purchasing one any time soon. I'll be waiting on the right one to come around for now i guess.

Is there anything I should look out for with the GSF(any known issues with the 16's)?
Old 02-02-19, 12:06 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

The '16's have the fixed suspension and the +'17's have the adaptive suspension if that matters to you.

Many have complained about wind noise coming from the drivers side window/mirror area but I doubt that is a deal breaker.

I personally would be weary of any super low mile car that have had brakes/tires changed out (most likely a track car). If you
log onto the Lexus owners site and punch in the VIN it will show you the service history of the car. Here is a good example of
what was most likely a track car:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Best of luck with your search. Is importing a car from the states an option?
The following users liked this post:
gs350lex (02-04-19)
Old 02-03-19, 06:00 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

yea the biggest thing is the suspension. I drove the 16 and own the 17. There is a noticable difference in comfort in the suspension.
​​​​​​
I have a baby so I prefer the 17. If I was single then the 16 suspension.
​​​​​​
Also 16 vs 18. The 18 has the full auto dynamic cruise control where 16 I think only has the partial. I wasn't a believer at first as I came from a manual car, but it is super useful especally in Canadian highway.

If you live in Toronto I can show you the ride comfort of the 17.
The following 2 users liked this post by WaterFish:
gs350lex (02-04-19), rhunter112 (08-11-19)
Old 02-04-19, 07:02 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IMAGINTHAT
The '16's have the fixed suspension and the +'17's have the adaptive suspension if that matters to you.

Many have complained about wind noise coming from the drivers side window/mirror area but I doubt that is a deal breaker.

I personally would be weary of any super low mile car that have had brakes/tires changed out (most likely a track car). If you
log onto the Lexus owners site and punch in the VIN it will show you the service history of the car. Here is a good example of

I think i'd prefer getting a Canadian one as from what i've heard the ones in the states don't come with the cold weather package(correct me if im wrong). Also just would feel more comfortable to get one in Canada.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-04-19, 07:07 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WaterFish
yea the biggest thing is the suspension. I drove the 16 and own the 17. There is a noticable difference in comfort in the suspension.
​​​​​​
I have a baby so I prefer the 17. If I was single then the 16 suspension.
​​​​​​
Also 16 vs 18. The 18 has the full auto dynamic cruise control where 16 I think only has the partial. I wasn't a believer at first as I came from a manual car, but it is super useful especally in Canadian highway.

If you live in Toronto I can show you the ride comfort of the 17.
Did you buy it brand new? It's next to impossible to find a used 16 here let alone a 17(which makes sense as it's still pretty early for most leases to be returned for the 17's). I live in Vaughan and i appreciate the offer

Also how are these things in the winter considering they are rwd? I am assuming with a good set of winter tires they should be fine. Did you drive it during the big winter storm we had recently and if so how was it?

Thanks !

Last edited by gs350lex; 02-04-19 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 05:06 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought it new only because it was blue. At the time they had two used orange and a white one. That was back in mid 2017.

I live in Mississauga if you ever want to meet up.
​​​​​​
I think they drive well for a rwd. Went through last storm and was fine, of course it was no where near my wife's Audi TTs. I used to drive a 2006 IS250 MT rwd so the GSF is a piece of cake compared to it.
Old 02-07-19, 06:55 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex
I currently own a 15 GS 350 F-Sport and I want to pick up a GSF (most likely a 16). I don't suspect much has changed on them from the 16 models. As i live in Canada its hard to find them as there are literally none at any of the dealerships anywhere near me and I can't find anything privately within Canada which means I probably won't be purchasing one any time soon. I'll be waiting on the right one to come around for now i guess.

Is there anything I should look out for with the GSF(any known issues with the 16's)?
I think the only thing you would need to check is that the GSF is a bit firm in normal or sports settings. It is somewhat against what a Lexus should be i.e. not soft riding, and can be very loud (in a good way). Other than that, in spite of being the first year model, my car has been solid.
Old 02-08-19, 06:54 AM
MrFuso
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure the fuel pump recall is done.
Old 02-08-19, 11:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts
Default NHTSA Recall

Originally Posted by MrFuso
Make sure the fuel pump recall is done.
They are all done by now. NHTSA is very serious about that one, and the car can't be sold by any dealer without this being completed. The dealer would be risking their license if they sold a car with a safety recall not completed.
Old 02-18-19, 11:59 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 305 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by IMAGINTHAT

So are guys just buying these to track for a bit and then selling them? Is this common?

Steve
Old 02-18-19, 04:00 PM
Fatbarney
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1A1
So are guys just buying these to track for a bit and then selling them? Is this common?

Steve
No, they are cars from the Lexus Performance Driving School. From just having gone to one of these, you probably want to stay clear (although the RCF's are much more abused).