GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Mark Levinson on the GSF

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 06:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Looks like they installed some sound dampening material too. That alone can make a stunning difference, but we all know manufacturers go cheap on speakers. It's a rare car indeed that actually has audiophile quality drivers in it from the factory.

So the only thing you replaced was what comes in the Focal kit? Just wondering because there are a whole lot more speakers in the car, and I'm wondering what it might cost to replace them all with better drivers.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
MOB561 (08-25-20), WaterFish (04-12-18)
Old 04-11-18, 07:40 PM
hvdcman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So far have been happy with the sound. My hearing is not what it once was. My other car has a Bose system and the ML system sounds better to my ear.
The following 2 users liked this post by hvdcman:
MOB561 (08-25-20), samsonn25 (08-19-20)
Old 04-11-18, 08:44 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Question Mark Levinson system

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Looks like they installed some sound dampening material too. That alone can make a stunning difference, but we all know manufacturers go cheap on speakers. It's a rare car indeed that actually has audiophile quality drivers in it from the factory.

So the only thing you replaced was what comes in the Focal kit? Just wondering because there are a whole lot more speakers in the car, and I'm wondering what it might cost to replace them all with better drivers.
So what can be done to improve the ML system without messing with the Radio/? Better speakers? If so what brand of speakers would pair well with the ML & sound better than stock speakers?
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (08-25-20)
Old 04-12-18, 04:56 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

They installed some sound skins and instantly you get that "basement" effect.

All I did was $200 Soundskin on both sides and the Focal kit. The original treble on the ML system was actually pretty good but with the upgrade it is even more clear. There was basically no mid range before, now the voices and instruments are very defined and clear. The base is much tighter than before.

The deck and amp was not changed, theefore radio, Sat radio, usb, and cd player still all work just like before.

Replacing the front tweeters and the side "woofers" was more than enough for me. It will cost an arm and a leg to replace everything.

For speaker wise just visit a store and have a demo. Everyone has their own preferences but Focal is known for sound quality and decent price.

Last edited by WaterFish; 04-12-18 at 05:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WaterFish:
IMAGINTHAT (04-14-18), MOB561 (08-25-20)
Old 04-12-18, 04:18 PM
finny76
Advanced

Red face

Originally Posted by WaterFish
They installed some sound skins and instantly you get that "basement" effect.

All I did was $200 Soundskin on both sides and the Focal kit. The original treble on the ML system was actually pretty good but with the upgrade it is even more clear. There was basically no mid range before, now the voices and instruments are very defined and clear. The base is much tighter than before.

The deck and amp was not changed, theefore radio, Sat radio, usb, and cd player still all work just like before.
Replacing the front tweeters and the side "woofers" was more than enough for me. It will cost an arm and a leg to replace everything.
For speaker wise just visit a store and have a demo. Everyone has their own preferences but Focal is known for sound quality and decent price.
Thanks for the info & details...

For those of us that want to be below $1K what are the best options of speakers/tweeters other than FOCAL?
Old 04-14-18, 11:16 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

You can try the old gen of the Focal 165k. They were pretty good too.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-14-18, 12:47 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Installed the new Focal 165KX2 @ UltraAutoSound for $2000 CDN and the ML system came ALIVE!!!

Prior to the install I went to two Audiophile stores and they had the same opinion about the ML system. Great components but terrible speakers.

Therefore I decided to install the Focals only without upgrading the AMP and cables. The results were mind blowing!!!

I would highly recommend everyone to do some research and swap the ML speakers for immersive sound. The Original Amp and cables are amazing as ML is known for components but they use cheap speakers.

Here are some pictures:

GSF in UltraAutoSound

Tweeter swap

Left Side panel

Right Side Panel
Saw you on the 403 last week - first GSF I've seen in person - beauty of a car! I was in my tacoma so you wouldn't have recognized me trying to catch up to you...
WaterFish (04-15-18)
Old 04-15-18, 06:23 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GregCanada
Saw you on the 403 last week - first GSF I've seen in person - beauty of a car! I was in my tacoma so you wouldn't have recognized me trying to catch up to you...
thanks for the compliments! Surprised to see another Canadian on this forum.
Old 04-15-18, 11:02 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,219 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
Thanks for the info & details...

For those of us that want to be below $1K what are the best options of speakers/tweeters other than FOCAL?
Look at Hybrid Audio or Morel. I've never been a fan of focal highs, but many people love them.

I owned the Hybrid Audio Clarus speakers, they're the best I've ever heard. If I were in the market, I'd buy the Morels right now. Some super high end shops use them exclusively, which is where the recommendation came from.
Miznthrope (04-15-18)
Old 04-15-18, 01:01 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I'll admit that the ML system in my GSF isn't as good as my 2016 RX350 F-sport (Not sure if F sport makes a difference) sound system, and the RX has the standard system not ML.

Although, the sound of the engine is the only thing I care about ha!
Old 04-16-18, 03:58 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Yea i have heard Morel are also very good. Honestly you just gotta go demo the speakers before you install them. Every company use very different materials for their speakers and therefore produces different sound very differently.

Don't just listen to people's opinion or review, you just gotta try them

Also before I thought the Focals were every "bright", but the new es 165KR2 have fixes their tweeter and is much more balanced now. The old generations are much brighter.
Old 04-16-18, 05:02 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,219 Likes on 634 Posts

Yea i have heard Morel are also very good. Honestly you just gotta go demo the speakers before you install them. Every company use very different materials for their speakers and therefore produces different sound very differently.

Don't just listen to people's opinion or review, you just gotta try them

Also before I thought the Focals were every "bright", but the new es 165KR2 have fixes their tweeter and is much more balanced now. The old generations are much brighter.
Yeah, the older ones made me feel like my ears would bleed. I liked the midbass, but can't stand high frequencies that make me cringe.

I've actually always wanted to try a nice sold 6.5 or 8 for midbass and use a 3" full range for highs. Supposed to be very mellow...
Gold10460 (07-23-20)
Old 04-21-18, 05:12 PM
GSFDreams
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So all you did was use the one set of components and sound deadening in the doors? No chance of anything else? Works fine with the factory amp? Middle channel speaker in the dash still the same?
Old 04-21-18, 06:41 PM
finny76
Advanced

Exclamation

Originally Posted by GSFDreams
So all you did was use the one set of components and sound deadening in the doors? No chance of anything else? Works fine with the factory amp? Middle channel speaker in the dash still the same?
When i talked to CarToys they were recommending of putting an Aftermarket amplifier with these speakers to get the most out of them!
MOB561 (09-14-20)
Old 05-11-18, 10:22 AM
finny76
Advanced

Exclamation Focal Install on ML Audio Help

Installed the new Focal 165KX2 @ UltraAutoSound for $2000 CDN and the ML system came ALIVE!!!

Prior to the install I went to two Audiophile stores and they had the same opinion about the ML system. Great components but terrible speakers.

Therefore I decided to install the Focals only without upgrading the AMP & cables. The results were mind blowing!!!

I would highly recommend everyone to do some research and swap the ML speakers for immersive sound. The Original Amp and cables are amazing as ML is known for components but they use cheap speakers.
I have a few question on this install:

1) Did you Install the Speakers with the Focal Crossovers through the ML Amp?

2) Or Did you just only replace the speakers and run them off the ML Amp?

I’ve been told that the ML Amp has Prebuilt in Crossovers, so I’m trying to figure out which is the best way to set these speakers up?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson on the GSF