GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

It's Official, these rims are tough to clean!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-17, 08:23 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default It's Official, these rims are tough to clean!

And the painted calipers are even worse. I have less than 1000 miles on the car and this is the onl complaint I have so far. The rims are an absolute pain to wash, and the painted calipers now make me want the black ones that would've come standard,

Any suggestions from those who have theirs longer than mine?

Randy B
Old 08-05-17, 08:41 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Those multiple spokes must be a pain. I like using Ammo NYC products such as this: https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/ammo-plum-whee-cleaner/
There is a wheel cleaning regimen vid in the link too.
Old 08-05-17, 09:14 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I have my rims and calipers ceramic coated and they're still hard to clean. I HIGHLY recommend using Iron-X from Car Pro. You can get it on amazon. Spray it on the wheels and calipers after wetting, let it sit for a few. It turns red, agitate and spray off. Rims and calipers look brand new!
The following 2 users liked this post by CobraGSF:
RC51TOFUMA (08-08-17), SoneFsport (09-27-17)
Old 08-05-17, 10:00 AM
Rrgirgis
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I feel your pain

I feel your pain! I clean my F myself and I would cringe when it came time to wash the rims and the orange painted calipers.

the best solution I found was these set of three brushes that have made it so mucher easier and faster. I wont clean rims without them now.

ABN Wheel Woolies Wheel Brushes Kit (3 Brushes)
Amazon Amazon

they are a bit expensive but the quality and effectiveness of them are definitely worth it.
The following users liked this post:
SoneFsport (09-27-17)
Old 08-05-17, 09:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Has anyone else had the silver in the caliper stickers disappear after using a professional wheel cleaning product? It did on ours. The calipers were beautifully clean, but the silver disappeared from two calipers completely and faded on the other two. Not a happy camper at all, and will be bringing this up to Lexus along with the chirping bird sound from the engine bay at the next appointment.
Old 08-06-17, 08:18 AM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Definitely a PITA to clean, even after a 40 mile round trip to the local Cars and Coffee event after a fresh wash/dry and i've already dust on both the rim and calipers. And there's not enough clearance between the caliper and rim to clean thoroughly, and i'm wedging a microfiber between that space to floss it. i just try to wipe down the wheels and calipers with a wheel designated microfiber every other day or so. haha

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Has anyone else had the silver in the caliper stickers disappear after using a professional wheel cleaning product? It did on ours. The calipers were beautifully clean, but the silver disappeared from two calipers completely and faded on the other two. Not a happy camper at all, and will be bringing this up to Lexus along with the chirping bird sound from the engine bay at the next appointment.
My sticker is fine, but it is stained. I don't even have 4k on the car yet.

Old 08-06-17, 11:50 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrgirgis
I feel your pain! I clean my F myself and I would cringe when it came time to wash the rims and the orange painted calipers.

the best solution I found was these set of three brushes that have made it so mucher easier and faster. I wont clean rims without them now.

ABN Wheel Woolies Wheel Brushes Kit (3 Brushes)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3KDUD0/..._8EFHzbJ81R4WS

they are a bit expensive but the quality and effectiveness of them are definitely worth it.
Agree these wheels are difficult to clean, but when clean, very rewarding. I just cleaned my wheels for the 1st time last week. I used this exact same wheel woolie set with some Griots wheel cleaner. Worked pretty well, but getting behind the spokes to get the hole caliper is still challenging. I think I would've also preferred the black calipers, but it seems that 99% of them are optioned with the orange calipers. Black would also help with the Atomic Sleeper/Silver look!

Last edited by Teutonic; 08-06-17 at 11:53 AM. Reason: forgot about the orange.
Old 08-06-17, 03:22 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Im telling you guys....USE IRON-X!!!! works wonders lol
RC51TOFUMA (08-08-17)
Old 08-06-17, 06:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraGSF
Im telling you guys....USE IRON-X!!!! works wonders lol
The cleaner that took the silver off the decals smelled exactly like Iron-X. I have the gel here, and I agree, nothing is better at getting the burned in brake dust out of the clearcoat completely, but if it kills the decals, it's not a good solution.
Old 08-07-17, 06:01 AM
chicagoron
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Water powered cleaning tool

I bought this and thought that it's probably not going to work. I was wrong. This thing is very good at cleaning my GS F wheels and calipers. Comes with 3 brush heads (2 soft - 1 firm) and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails It's Official, these rims are tough to clean!-wheelcleaner.jpg  
Old 08-07-17, 11:42 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoron
I bought this and thought that it's probably not going to work. I was wrong. This thing is very good at cleaning my GS F wheels and calipers. Comes with 3 brush heads (2 soft - 1 firm) and it works great.
I saw an advertisement for this and was quite interested...was just worried about the brush being too rough and scratching the painted sections. Any issues?
Old 08-07-17, 12:29 PM
chicagoron
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

No issues at all. I haven't used the more firm brush head yet, but I just use the soft ones. It cleans the rims better than any other method and I only use soap and water. I got mine at Costco and it wasn't expensive. Works under water pressure only, so if you have low water pressure, that is probably a reason not to buy it.
danwlee (08-07-17)
Old 08-08-17, 04:29 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I do not know what you guys are doing, but mine are just fine and no complaints here. OK, that was total BS, I am onboard with you all and these are by far the dirtiest street car brakes and rims I have experienced. That said, they look damn good when clean (and sitting in the darn garage!)
chicagoron (08-14-17)
Old 09-20-17, 01:02 PM
RobEQ
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Noticed the bird chirping noise from the engine bay as well. Has anyone brought this up at their service appointments?

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Old 09-20-17, 02:50 PM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobEQ
Noticed the bird chirping noise from the engine bay as well. Has anyone brought this up at their service appointments?
I am getting the chirping noise at idle. I assume its a belt.

Quick Reply: It's Official, these rims are tough to clean!