GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Car was hit, bumper replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 01:10 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Car was hit, bumper replacement?

I've been driving for 17 years and never got into an accident... then I get my dream car and within 3 months I get hit. SMH

I was parked in a small gravel lot and elderly man decided to try to make a U-turn in a tight space. I was in the car at the time reaching for my wallet and when I looked up he was turning into my driver's side front bumper. If I hadn't hit the horn he probably would have done more damage. The bumper now has scratches, gouges, cracks and some serious stress marks where the inside edge is noticeably bent in. It is slightly off alignment with the body. The radiator is right there behind the bumper and I won't know if that was damaged until I get it into a body shop.

Looking for some thoughts what is more realistic here: replacement or touch up. I'm hoping the insurance adjuster comes to the conclusion that it needs to be replaced.

By far the worst angle, the inside edge was folded in and stress fractures all along the edge

Name:  unnamed_zpsegqrpv6q.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  216.7 KB

Below is a picture of the gouge

Name:  gouge_zpszt0yn2lj.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  231.6 KB

Below are the scratches, a few areas where paint was completely taken off

Name:  scratches_zpsmoityeeq.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  140.6 KB

Below is a picture of the alignment, the space increases as you approach the headlight (it's minor but still off)

Name:  alignment_zpskhphirsv.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  246.7 KB

More stress fractures on top of bumper

Name:  stress%20fracture_zpsje9zilmf.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  244.5 KB
Old 07-01-17, 01:34 PM
vxlyf3
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace it if its under his insurance, its going to ruin the clean look of the car if you have it touch up especially on caviar black.
I have the same color and had mine for 4 months and already have 3 dings and also a small white paint on my door handle and side mirror. People who dont own these type of cars just dont care! I choose where to park carefully to prevent these things, but it still happen. Hope you get it taken care of bro.
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (02-04-18)
Old 02-03-18, 06:49 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vxlyf3
Replace it if its under his insurance, its going to ruin the clean look of the car if you have it touch up especially on caviar black.
I have the same color and had mine for 4 months and already have 3 dings and also a small white paint on my door handle and side mirror. People who dont own these type of cars just dont care! I choose where to park carefully to prevent these things, but it still happen. Hope you get it taken care of bro.
veeeeery late reply to this, thanks for the advice. Insurance agreed on replacement but when it went in to the shop they found it has pushed in headlight and broke it so they had to replace the headlight assembly too.

Looks good as new
Old 02-03-18, 08:19 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry to hear that - I would be really upset but atleast the damage was minimal and no one got hurt.

Best of luck with the replacement!
Old 02-04-18, 12:26 AM
bolaga
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

People bump into my bumper 3 times so far.... and I have the USB 2.0 color, couldn't get it painted correctly...
Old 02-04-18, 08:03 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IMAGINTHAT
Sorry to hear that - I would be really upset but atleast the damage was minimal and no one got hurt.

Best of luck with the replacement!
yeah I was pretty chill about it, I knew his insurance would take car of it

I would have been pissed if someone hit it and ran though
Old 02-04-18, 08:05 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bolaga
People bump into my bumper 3 times so far.... and I have the USB 2.0 color, couldn't get it painted correctly...
that sucks

i try try to park away from everyone but sometimes you just can’t. My new bumper is a close match, if you are in the dark and shine a flashlight on it you can tell the color is a tiny bit off from the rest of the body but there’s no way to tell otherwise