GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Wind Noise from driver side window area

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-17, 05:18 PM
Rrgirgis
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Gents, wanted to update this thread.

I came back from my 5k service from the Lexus dealer and told them about the wind noise.

I did a test drive with the shop foreman and he said the wind noise was normal "WindTurbulence" from the dynamics of the car... he said he didn't hear any air leak just more of wind passing over the car and it was normal.

At this point, I think I'm just going to live with it, its really not too bad and i wouldn't want them to put the double pane glass and block out the V8 Roar. I think that would really be the only fix since my 2013 GS had double pane and it was quiet.

Last edited by Rrgirgis; 04-11-17 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-11-17, 10:40 AM
danlittle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrgirgis
I think I'm going to try painters tape around the front drivers side outer window frame and see if that reduces it...
Did you try the painters tape? I was thinking the same thing to try and figure out if it is the window or door seal. Has anyone fixed it?
Old 04-11-17, 07:18 PM
Rrgirgis
Rookie

Originally Posted by danlittle
Did you try the painters tape? I was thinking the same thing to try and figure out if it is the window or door seal. Has anyone fixed it?
got lazy and didnt try that yet since service was so close... but i might try to test it this weekend
Old 06-14-17, 05:20 PM
Norinn
Driver School Candidate

Default Found the problem! But not the solution yet.

I'm having the same issue, but on the passenger side. Technician found out that the side mirror is causing the issue! Really?

Bought the car at 5K Km. Wind noise started at 7.5K Km. Starting at 90KM/hr (little) and 110Km/hr (annoying).

Went on the highway and flipped the side mirrors... And the wind noise disappeared!

I've found that the passenger side mirror is not fixed tightly to the car, as on the other side.

Dealer has contacted Lexus Canada, for some instructions. I'll you keep you posted.

If your side mirror is also the cause and found the solution - pls share!
Old 08-01-17, 04:00 AM
Norinn
Driver School Candidate

The dealer proposed me to test a new side mirror. They felt that nothing else could have been done.

Installation was done yesterday. Tested on the highway. The wind whistle is now gone.
Old 08-01-17, 06:29 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Norinn
The dealer proposed me to test a new side mirror. They felt that nothing else could have been done.

Installation was done yesterday. Tested on the highway. The wind whistle is now gone.
That's great...Can you pm me the info on exactly what was done.
does this mirror have an updated design or part #?
Old 08-19-17, 09:13 AM
Lexusdk
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have the dealership double check if all the under body rubber plugs are installed, i believe there are 4 of them. I know sometimes during a pre delivery inspection of new vehicles, these get overlooked or un-installed by accident. The under body rubber plugs can give a false wind noise inside the cabin. Also, the GS can sometimes have wind noise coming from the sunroof glass due to the weather strip molding. Make sure these are checked out....
Old 08-29-17, 02:36 PM
Etseng66
Driver School Candidate

Noise is coming at front and top back corner, I put form on both area to make it quiet, my car is GS350, not GSF
Old 05-18-18, 10:02 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
Have any of you guys with GS F noticed any wind noise from Front Driver side window area?
I had few GS350 Loaners and none of them had it.

This is my 2nd GS F....First one had it as well but not as prominent.
Yes, I'm having the same identical issue. My 2015 GS F-Sport ( which is for sale) is super quiet, even at higher speeds, but my 2016 GS F exhibits the same issue you identified. Additionally, it seems like when cars and trucks are passing me, they appear to be louder in the GS F. At first I thought it was my imagination, but the more I compare the two back to back , the more I am convinced.

I ponder if Lexus, in an effort to reduce weight on the GS F, installed thinner, lighter glass and less sound deadening material or insulation in the doors?

I have been perplexed for months and just happen to stumble upon this thread. I have an appointment with my Lexus dealer on 5/23/18. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-19-18, 03:17 PM
embassured
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusdk
Have the dealership double check if all the under body rubber plugs are installed, i believe there are 4 of them. I know sometimes during a pre delivery inspection of new vehicles, these get overlooked or un-installed by accident. The under body rubber plugs can give a false wind noise inside the cabin. Also, the GS can sometimes have wind noise coming from the sunroof glass due to the weather strip molding. Make sure these are checked out....
I have the dreaded driver's side mirror noise/slight whistle as well. The dealer replaced a missing body plug (mentioned above) and it did absolutely---nothing. Noise is still there and I'll attempt to have it addresses the next time I make a visit.

Best,
Eric
Old 06-01-18, 04:38 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

OK, I took my "F" in for the wind noise check. The service advisor and tech test drove / rode my car several times, and to them it all seems normal. They attributed the noise to turbulence, along with road noise from the tires, etc. Believe me, I know the difference and I also have my 2015 GS F-Sport for comparison, which is whisper quiet. So is my wife's 2010 GS 350.

After researching several other Lexus posts, they lead me to check the type of front side glass. Low and behold!! Our 2010 and 2015 GS both have "LAMISAFE" front side glass and my 2016 GS F has "TEMPERLITE".

Does anyone care to expound? I questioned my service advisor if Lexus attempted to reduce the weight of the GS F by using thinner glass and less sound absorption materials and insulation. He wasn't aware.

Thank you,
anbark22

Last edited by anbark22; 06-01-18 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Front Side Glass as opposed to front glass
Old 08-10-18, 04:30 AM
gsfuji
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Did you have the mirror wrapped?

Have any of you guys with GS F noticed any wind noise from Front Driver side window area?
I had few GS350 Loaners and none of them had it.

This is my 2nd GS F....First one had it as well but not as prominent.

had the the same issue and found out it was the clearbra wrap that is causing the noise, I had them replace 3 times and now I am good! I’m going to have it replaced again with tom’s carbon mirrors, hopefully noise doesn’t come back.
Old 10-20-18, 06:18 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I had the dealer replace Window rubber Seals but that did not make any difference...We all need to raise this as a concern as normal GS350s don't have this issue.

Lexus needs to come up with a solution sooner than later.
Old thread I know but my 18 F-Sport has this same issue. It's not just the F cars that have this problem.
Old 10-21-18, 09:16 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gsfuji

had the the same issue and found out it was the clearbra wrap that is causing the noise, I had them replace 3 times and now I am good! I’m going to have it replaced again with tom’s carbon mirrors, hopefully noise doesn’t come back.
I have had Toms CBs for half an year now, looks beautiful and high quality.

However previously I did not notice wind sound OEM, but now I do. Just FYI.
Old 10-22-18, 04:57 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm also getting wind noise, but only at high speed 130mph and up. 2nd issue, i'm experiencing is the A Pillar rattle, took it in for service and shot foreman verified the rattles. They would not do anything to fix problem, because they said I have aftermarket suspension.

I'm really pissed right now. Anyone encountered same issue where dealership wont fix the problem due to aftermarket parts installed on the car?

Tommy

Quick Reply: Wind Noise from driver side window area