GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Gloss Coating from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-16, 05:45 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Gloss Coating from Lexus

So dealer is offering a Gloss coating on the car for $1,380. Saying it comes with a 10 year warranty. They paint correct the car and apply the finish. The lady couldnt give me the name of it, but I'm sure its similar to ceramic pro. But she said the car will be paint corrected and the coating helps save the car from acid rain, bird dropping etc.

Should i go for it? or just pay an independent guy to put ceramic pro. The price seems okay but not too sure. Can anyone elaborate on this coating that shes claiming is offered by Lexus?

Also would i be able to clear bra over the coating?

Thanks,
Old 11-15-16, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i would never believe in stuff like these from dealerships. if anything, find the right outside pro store can do it better for cheaper
Old 11-15-16, 10:53 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The product could be Cilajet...check it out and check your options. If you can, ask for a referral from one (or more) of their customers that have had it done- talk to them and ask them about their overall satisfaction- paint correction, and overall Cilajet opinion (wear and tear, etc)...check online for other Cilajet customers experiences, too.
Old 11-15-16, 10:54 PM
klimber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with Rominl - get it somewhere else for a log cheaper and better product. I did this and couldn't be happier. They even did a better job of installation.
Old 11-16-16, 11:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Worth it depends on what you get. If they are offering a warranty for 10 years and will fix any issues paint related for 10 years, that's a pretty awesome deal. If it is just putting on a coating and calling it a day, you can do better with aftermarket. The wife bought an interior/exterior package that includes a warranty, so it was well worth it. Without the warranty, I would have said forget it, way too much for some chemical sprays I can get done much cheaper.

I personally do not believe anyone who says "this will protect your paint for 7 years, do not wax your car" which is what I heard. If this were even remotely possible, the detailing business would be crippled, but more importantly, the paint on cars these days isn't that durable - it chips very easily - so even if the chemical protects what paint remains, the chipping effect will negate everything. AMHIK.
Old 11-16-16, 10:17 PM
Bzguy78
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, with that price I will have it done at a reliable detail shop although it might cost you more money but you will know that it is done right. The proper way of doing it is, paint correction, paint protection film and ceramic coat of choice on top of the film (C quartz finest, modesta, opti coat etc.
Old 11-17-16, 10:37 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

True dat. None of these coatings will last 10 years...not by a longshot. A warranty is enticing. Just how much they stand behind it is another thing. As already mentioned, aftermarket is usually the best way to go, HOWEVER there are some dealerships that DO have people (perhaps some of these are subcontracted) that really do quality work. This is few and far between, but it's worth looking into. My first choice would be aftermarket as these guys are saying; but the dealership option, if you aren't in a hurry and can do a bit of checking, might be okay.