GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GS F vs AMG C63 S

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 05:08 PM
MagicWing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS F vs AMG C63 S

Hey Everyone. I'm in the market for a new performance sedan and have mostly narrowed it down to the GS F and Mercedes AMG C63 S. I realize that most people are assuming that the GS F is being shopped against the M5 and E63 because they are similar in size. But I'm shopping within a price range, not a size range. The GS F and C63 S both MSRP for around $87k loaded (while the others I mentioned are well over $100k). The C63 S is a bit smaller, but not by much (I drove both, sat in the back seats, etc.). They have a 36 horsepower difference - 467 for the GS F and 503 for the C63 S. So I find more similarities between these 2 cars than some of the other usual suspects.

Yes, I am well aware of all the other cars in the marketplace. CTS V, ATS V, Charger Hellcat, M3, Chevy SS and many others. I think they are all amazing. But for now, they are ruled out due to a variety of reasons - not luxurious enough, body too big/long, style doesn't appeal, etc. Not worth getting into the details for each one. Just know that I'm currently leaning towards the 2 cars I've mentioned.

The GS F drove great. Loved the sound. Power is awesome once it revs past 4000 RPM; below that it's certainly better than your average car, but nothing that will shove you back in your seat. I think it looks super cool from every angle (though I know this is controversial and that many people think the GS F is ugly -- I am not one of those people). The interior is as nice as they come. Very comfortable. This car is also fully loaded. Everyone talks about horsepower, but this thing has all kinds of features that add up to a pretty amazing car overall.

The AMG is faster by about half a second from 0 to 60 -- and you can feel the difference. The drive is unreal. It also sounds incredible, particularly with the sport exhaust option. It drives like a true sports car, probably even more so than the GS F. It would come loaded, but not as loaded as the GS F (that would require more a-la-cart options that would push the sticker price into the 90s, which I am not going to do). Trust me, this car is amazing.

I'm looking to buy, not lease -- so long term reliability is important. I believe both are of good quality, but owners of the current C63 S seem to have some issues that have been posted in the forums. Granted, forums attract posts about issues, but Lexus seems to have fewer issues overall.

Even though this is likely a biased group (since we're in a Lexus forum), I'm curious to get feedback about this choice. Much appreciated!
Old 02-13-16, 03:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The C63 is a very well-crafted car on a new body so this gen will last ~3 years longer than the GS which goes back to MY 2013. That aside, the fact that the GS is in the next class up of cars, is a selling point to me. Then factor in the better reliability record, and no brainer for me to get the GS F.

I was in a similar boat and bought the RC F over an M4, RS5, even an F-Type. Some of these cars are faster and arguably sexier, but that V8 rumble, Lexus heritage, and especially reliability were hard to pass up since I do intend to keep this car a long time.
Old 02-13-16, 04:46 PM
MagicWing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The C63 is a very well-crafted car on a new body so this gen will last ~3 years longer than the GS which goes back to MY 2013. That aside, the fact that the GS is in the next class up of cars, is a selling point to me. Then factor in the better reliability record, and no brainer for me to get the GS F.

I was in a similar boat and bought the RC F over an M4, RS5, even an F-Type. Some of these cars are faster and arguably sexier, but that V8 rumble, Lexus heritage, and especially reliability were hard to pass up since I do intend to keep this car a long time.
Thanks for the feedback. You mentioned reliability as a strong selling point with the Lexus. Do you still believe that to be true given that this is the first year ever for the GS F? Typically I don't like to buy a car in its first model year, as there are always bugs to work out. I know that the GS in its current form has been around, and the V8 and transmission have been around in the RC F for one year, but it has never all been put together into one GS F package until this year. Thoughts? Concerns about reliability? Has your RC F been good to you?
Old 02-13-16, 04:50 PM
MagicWing
Driver School Candidate

By the way, I submitted this thread a few weeks ago and since so much time went by with no indication that it would ever appear in the forum, I assumed it would never post. So I posed this same question within a different thread recently. Sorry for any duplication. All feedback is very much appreciated, as I did not yet pull the trigger.
Old 02-14-16, 06:16 AM
wordsworth
Driver School Candidate

The rcf forum seems to be fairly noisy in terms of fuel pump issues. Having said that, there's no way I'd buy the Benz hoping it'll last for a long time. You'd have to get rid of it as soon as the warranty is up.
Old 02-14-16, 07:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by MagicWing
Thanks for the feedback. You mentioned reliability as a strong selling point with the Lexus. Do you still believe that to be true given that this is the first year ever for the GS F? Typically I don't like to buy a car in its first model year, as there are always bugs to work out. I know that the GS in its current form has been around, and the V8 and transmission have been around in the RC F for one year, but it has never all been put together into one GS F package until this year. Thoughts? Concerns about reliability? Has your RC F been good to you?
Not concerned at all with a Lexus first year model. Case in point, had the '11 CT, now the '14 IS, '15 NX, and '15 RC F with no reliability issues with the exception of a defective battery on the IS. Since the battery replacement, rock solid. I don't think twice with a Lexus (or Toyota) - if I like it, I buy it and don't worry about it whatsoever.

Originally Posted by wordsworth
The rcf forum seems to be fairly noisy in terms of fuel pump issues. Having said that, there's no way I'd buy the Benz hoping it'll last for a long time. You'd have to get rid of it as soon as the warranty is up.
I thought so too until I opened the poll below. The RC F's fuel pump is not that common of an issue

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...mp-issues.html
Old 02-15-16, 06:47 AM
MagicWing
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this feedback. Perhaps reliability shouldn't be a concern. But what about the likely possibility that Lexus makes meaningful improvements to the GS F for 2017, which at this point may be only 6 or 7 months away. For example, there is lots of online chatter about Lexus' development of a twin turbo version of the V8 that could have over 600hp. That could go in the GS F. Also, the recent reveal of the LC 500 shows the same 467hp V8, but in that car it's tied to a 10-speed transmission. Seems reasonable that the GS F could get that tranny next year. You get the idea. I realize that cars are always improving year over year, but it would be a bummer to buy a 2016 if the 2017 gets a major upgrade. Thoughts?
Old 02-15-16, 09:02 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by MagicWing
Thanks for this feedback. Perhaps reliability shouldn't be a concern. But what about the likely possibility that Lexus makes meaningful improvements to the GS F for 2017, which at this point may be only 6 or 7 months away. For example, there is lots of online chatter about Lexus' development of a twin turbo version of the V8 that could have over 600hp. That could go in the GS F. Also, the recent reveal of the LC 500 shows the same 467hp V8, but in that car it's tied to a 10-speed transmission. Seems reasonable that the GS F could get that tranny next year. You get the idea. I realize that cars are always improving year over year, but it would be a bummer to buy a 2016 if the 2017 gets a major upgrade. Thoughts?

There is some risk in noticeable improvements for MY 2017 but the risk is low IMO. My feeling is Lexus will first launch the 10-speed mated to the 5L V8 on the 100K+ LC 500 which is slated for release Spring 2017. If we agree on this, then the 2017 GS F (or RC F for that matter) which would come out (earlier) by year's end will therefore retain the current 8-speed. For MY 2018, 10-speed possibly but I highly doubt Lexus will put this tranny on these two before the LC since it will steal Lexus marketing thunder for "Lexus-first 10-speed auto on our new flagship coupe".

As for the much rumored (and highly likely) twin-turbo 600hp+ V8, IMO Lexus will again strategically launch this on the flagship 140K+ LC F. When? Likely no sooner than MY 2018, possibly later.

If you want to wait two years, hmmm, I'd say it's a coin toss on the 10-speed but I wouldn't count on MY 2017 to change mechanically on the GS especially since MY 2016 introduced the mid-cycle refresh typically good for 3 more years.
Old 02-15-16, 09:18 PM
MagicWing
Driver School Candidate

There is some risk in noticeable improvements for MY 2017 but the risk is low IMO. My feeling is Lexus will first launch the 10-speed mated to the 5L V8 on the 100K+ LC 500 which is slated for release Spring 2017. If we agree on this, then the 2017 GS F (or RC F for that matter) which would come out (earlier) by year's end will therefore retain the current 8-speed. For MY 2018, 10-speed possibly but I highly doubt Lexus will put this tranny on these two before the LC since it will steal Lexus marketing thunder for "Lexus-first 10-speed auto on our new flagship coupe".

As for the much rumored (and highly likely) twin-turbo 600hp+ V8, IMO Lexus will again strategically launch this on the flagship 140K+ LC F. When? Likely no sooner than MY 2018, possibly later.

If you want to wait two years, hmmm, I'd say it's a coin toss on the 10-speed but I wouldn't count on MY 2017 to change mechanically on the GS especially since MY 2016 introduced the mid-cycle refresh typically good for 3 more years.
Yeah, good points all around. You're probably right. This is a tough decision. Maybe I need another test drive...
Old 03-18-16, 07:15 PM
Apollo1092
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same boat as you right now. Currently have an M4 and am looking at both the C63S and the GS-F. Haven't had a chance to test drive yet but I think the Lexus is winning in my mind.
Old 03-22-16, 03:58 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

This. I concur 100%.

I went for "reliable" luxury sports car with my RC F
Old 03-30-16, 12:54 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

another random thought.. are you looking to modify?
Old 03-30-16, 05:53 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

just get a GTR. it blows all the cars away
Old 03-31-16, 10:48 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
just get a GTR. it blows all the cars away
Not everybody is enamored with the GTR....and "blows all the cars away"
is subjective. There will always, ALWAYS be somebody faster than your car. Period.
Old 05-06-16, 07:45 PM
disguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Not everybody is enamored with the GTR....and "blows all the cars away"
is subjective. There will always, ALWAYS be somebody faster than your car. Period.
Amen to that.

Quick Reply: GS F vs AMG C63 S