GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Issue With Read Brake Pad Replacement - Local Shop Can't Release Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 01:58 PM
GSFhopeful
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Issue With Rear Brake Pad Replacement - Local Shop Can't Release Parking Brake

I brought my GSF in to a local shop today to put on some Tom's brake pads and ran into an unexpected problem, so I am posting here in the hopes of getting feedback and what to do next. Long story short, they replaced the front pads without issue, but they were unable to replace the rear pads because they couldn't release the parking brake. They mentioned the issue was related to me having an imported car (from Canada), rather than a US-market one. Since their equipment wasn't able to get the parking brake to release, I only got the front pads swapped out.

In terms of next steps, some questions:
1. If I have a non-US market car, is my only option going to be a Lexus or Toyota dealership? This shop handles a huge array of makes/models, including luxury brands like Porsche and Aston Martin, so this also appeared to catch them by surprise. With this issue, they reluctantly recommended going to the dealership.
2. Will I be able to find a dealership willing to install non-OEM brake pads? I have had issues with this before, as my prior dealership would not install Continental tires on my GSF because "they weren't OEM." Not sure if this just one dealership being an issue or more widespread.
3. If I go to the dealership, are they going to require me to purchase the hardware/shim installation kit for each side as well? I saw other users on here say this was the case, even when they took them to a Toyota dealership for installation.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by GSFhopeful; 09-14-23 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-14-23, 02:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

You're kidding right? Replacing the pads has nothing to do with the parking brake. Do you mean they couldn't figure out how to remove and replace the rear discs?

I mean, basically, they're saying they don't know how to adjust a shoe brake system. That's pretty pathetic.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (09-15-23)
Old 09-14-23, 02:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Don't think there is any mechanical differences US/Canada models. There is a parking brake adjusting screw even though the parking brake is electronically actuated. As above they must have been trying to remove the rotors can replace the pads without worrying about the parking brake.
Old 09-14-23, 02:56 PM
GSFhopeful
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You're kidding right? Replacing the pads has nothing to do with the parking brake. Do you mean they couldn't figure out how to remove and replace the rear discs?

I mean, basically, they're saying they don't know how to adjust a shoe brake system. That's pretty pathetic.
Appreciate the quick reply here. I admittedly don’t have a ton of mechanical knowledge and time/mental energy are both limited due to having a little one and just moving, but this explanation did seem strange.

Based on your reply and the other one so far, this seems to be an utter lack of familiarity with the car and another independent shop should be able to do it.
Old 09-15-23, 10:17 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

There is little trick you can do to put the e-brake into "service mode".
Try toyota techstream (you can get a one day subscription and search for rear brake replacement). Something like below

Old 09-15-23, 10:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

There is nothing in TIS about a service mode for the GS F. The brake in the video is completely different from the brake in the GS F. The GS F has the same shoe brake system Lexus has been using for many years on their IS and GS models.

I have a professional subscription to TIS, and I checked to be 100% sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
LeX2K (09-21-23), Tom44 (09-15-23)
Old 09-15-23, 11:34 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

My mistake: Looks like it has parking shoes but in addition has an motorized acuator. Not sure if that interferes with rear pad replacement. Techstream should easily be able to answer that.

Last edited by Tom44; 09-15-23 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-16-23, 01:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Tom44
My mistake: Looks like it has parking shoes but in addition has an motorized acuator. Not sure if that interferes with rear pad replacement. Techstream should easily be able to answer that.
There's no mention of anything challenging when replacing pads and rotors. Pretty much the same as it's been for an age. Back off the shoe adjuster to get the rotor off, and readjust it when you put it on. All done with a flat tip screwdriver through an access hole with a rubber plug in it on the rotor.
Tom44 (09-19-23)
Old 09-16-23, 05:19 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

I don't get it ...
Let's assumed for a minute that we are all ignorant and have no idea what we are talking about. Shouldn't the clown who's trying to replace your rear shoes, just take the car out of park and put it in neutral???
Old 09-17-23, 04:34 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

LOL, turn off the "Auto" button. Pull the e-brake lever toward you.

The end.

Steve
The following 4 users liked this post by 1A1:
GregCanada (09-18-23), jgscott (10-09-23), lobuxracer (09-17-23), Tom44 (09-19-23)
Old 09-21-23, 05:42 PM
GSFhopeful
Driver

Just to provide an update and wrap up this saga:

I called up multiple local shops, including two run by former Lexus mechanics, and none of them were able to guarantee that they could do the job, citing issues with my car being from Canada.

I also called up local Lexus dealerships who didn't want to touch the job because they wouldn't install anything but OEM parts from that specific dealership and one of them even tried to tell me that I would have to do rotors too (only at 22k miles and my prior Lexus dealership in Texas told me they were fine months ago).

After searching the forums here, I took a shot in the dark and called up the local Toyota dealership. Easy to chat with, said "no problem," and was out the door for $175 today. Will definitely be returning there for my service needs in the future and it's closer than any of the nearby Lexus dealerships.
The following 4 users liked this post by GSFhopeful:
jgscott (10-09-23), LeX2K (09-21-23), lobuxracer (09-21-23), Tom44 (09-22-23)
Old 09-21-23, 06:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by GSFhopeful
Just to provide an update and wrap up this saga: Easy to chat with, said "no problem," and was out the door for $175 today...
Now that's what we like to hear!

If you were in the ATL, I'd've said bring it over and we'll be done in 30 minutes!
jgscott (10-09-23)
Old 09-22-23, 07:46 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFhopeful
Just to provide an update and wrap up this saga:

I called up multiple local shops, including two run by former Lexus mechanics, and none of them were able to guarantee that they could do the job, citing issues with my car being from Canada.

I also called up local Lexus dealerships who didn't want to touch the job because they wouldn't install anything but OEM parts from that specific dealership and one of them even tried to tell me that I would have to do rotors too (only at 22k miles and my prior Lexus dealership in Texas told me they were fine months ago).

After searching the forums here, I took a shot in the dark and called up the local Toyota dealership. Easy to chat with, said "no problem," and was out the door for $175 today. Will definitely be returning there for my service needs in the future and it's closer than any of the nearby Lexus dealerships.
They're full of it if they give the Canada excuse. When you use techstream, you can select any location, and both canada and USA are under "North America". It's like the techs that ask if your car is 2wd or 4wd when you are asking for new wiper blades - it's inconsequential.
lobuxracer (09-22-23)
Old 10-05-23, 10:09 PM
DanfromTX
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info thanks for sharing. GSFhopeful - Can you post the part numbers of the Tom's brakes you got and where your ordered them from? I need to do new pads very soon as well.

Old 10-06-23, 11:45 AM
DanfromTX
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding these links to other GSF brake discussions - each have their own set of good info on the braking system

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ing-parts.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-for-gsf.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...then-some.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ad-advice.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-brakes.html

Quick Reply: Issue With Read Brake Pad Replacement - Local Shop Can't Release Parking Brake