GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Thoughts on this buying, worth the gambling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 09:26 PM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Thoughts on this buying, worth the gambling?

I am running into a 2017 GSF (JTHBP1BL3HA002279) listed online with 34,605 miles, black on black. According to carfax history it's been marked as cooperate vehicle but without much of information and only shows 1 oil change.

The dealer is not that big, and it is not a lexus dealership. They told me he get the vehicle through auction. I do have a few videos sent by them, the car looks clean and neat inside and out.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
I am able to negotiate the price at 50K, now I am thinking about if it worth flying and check it out in person.

My biggest concern - if the car sitting most of these year in the garage/parking lot without oil change in time, would that cause damage to the engine yet? Also the fluid sitting still might cause hose/rubber damage?
Meantime any of you know when the GSF comes to over 10 yrs or 100K miles, what would be the major repairs I should be be ready? I am ready to some repair but I hope it's not as crazy as my Mercedes over 100K miles.

Any thoughts here?
Old 11-17-23, 03:01 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

This vehicle sold at auction in Seattle on 8/16/2023 for $45K and was listed as condition of 3.5 out of 5.0 scale. That's a low rating for low mileage vehicle. When I looked at the pics, the passenger side lower bumper is chipped up pretty bad and so is the middle and driver side. That's an expensive body piece plus the carbon in the middle section, never mind matching the paint on the metallic black. The dealer had to ship it across the US and then clean it up to what it is in the pictures. I think there is more room in the price. Maybe another $1500 to $2K at most. They've had it since August. The bigger issue, is in the current market, November 2023, I think its too much for the car. The wholesale pricing is definitely diving, and the retail will follow that curve. If you have to have the car, then go look at it and decide for yourself. If you can continue to wait, I think you will purchase for $5K-7K less within 6 months. Purely my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Randy B:
DaveGS4 (11-20-23), greys0uled (11-24-23)
Old 11-17-23, 06:35 AM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Randy B
This vehicle sold at auction in Seattle on 8/16/2023 for $45K and was listed as condition of 3.5 out of 5.0 scale. That's a low rating for low mileage vehicle. When I looked at the pics, the passenger side lower bumper is chipped up pretty bad and so is the middle and driver side. That's an expensive body piece plus the carbon in the middle section, never mind matching the paint on the metallic black. The dealer had to ship it across the US and then clean it up to what it is in the pictures. I think there is more room in the price. Maybe another $1500 to $2K at most. They've had it since August. The bigger issue, is in the current market, November 2023, I think its too much for the car. The wholesale pricing is definitely diving, and the retail will follow that curve. If you have to have the car, then go look at it and decide for yourself. If you can continue to wait, I think you will purchase for $5K-7K less within 6 months. Purely my opinion.
Thank you so much for such details. When you mention the pics, is it the picture before they shipped to the current dealer? As I was told there is no paint scratches or chips on the paint..
Also, if you don't mind, where do you find those auction information, is there a website open for public? Regarding the price, I believe there might be still more room to go, they initially asked for 60K which is insane.
Old 11-17-23, 08:53 AM
Moos0004
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a black GSF and had the front bumper resprayed due to chipping. No issue matching the color. I would verify those are chips and not just dirt As many times I think i have a chip and then it's just a spec of dirt. Every spec shows up on a black car. Looking at my quote it was $440 for paint labor and $288 for paint supplies. Done at a reputable shop that is actually owned by the same group that owns the local Lexus dealership.but be warned the aftermarket paint is not as durable as the OEM, I got two chips within a few hundred miles. Then I add ppf and no issue even after tracking the car and getting blasted by rocks. I even resprayed the hood a shortly after doing the bumper and my biggest regret was not having them resprayed both at the same time to save some money. I would not be worried about duration car sat. The hood was about $800
Old 11-17-23, 09:04 AM
Moos0004
Driver

Before flying out you can ask to have the car independently inspected by a nearby shop. I bought my GSF from a different state without seeing it. I just picked a local shop near the dealership and asked the dealership to take it there for an independent inspection. You will have to pay the shop of course. Ask for a detailed inspection, including scanning for codes, etc.
Old 11-17-23, 11:30 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by liazhang
Thank you so much for such details. When you mention the pics, is it the picture before they shipped to the current dealer? As I was told there is no paint scratches or chips on the paint..
Also, if you don't mind, where do you find those auction information, is there a website open for public? Regarding the price, I believe there might be still more room to go, they initially asked for 60K which is insane.
I looked at the pics in the ad link you provided. The Auction listed the condition as a 3.5, not me. There is something or things of an issue if its rated that low. Lots of things can make it get here. Low tread tires, chips, dents, prior paint or body work, smoke smell, burnholes in the interior, etc and any combination of these or more. An independent party at the auction makes the inspection not the selling or buying dealer. Maybe this Dealer cleaned up/repaired whatever the issue/s were? No idea. The actual condition report is not viewable since the vehicle sold. No their isn't a public site to see this information.

I'm not you, nor is anyone else here. I had my GSF and had a great time with it. I won't put the car down one bit. The choice is yours.
Old 11-17-23, 11:46 AM
Moos0004
Driver

When I was shopping for a GSF I was also looking at Manheim auction and actually bid on a one and did not get. There was a low milage blue gsf with 12k mile that I was willing to spend $48k on and the Manheim grade was mid 3. The morning of the auction that car was removed. A few days later it was relisted with a much higher score and price. The buying that I was working with though the dealership my brother worked at said that happens from time to time. Manheim does do a detailed inspection but people will pull car fix and send back though to Manheim. I have bought the car directly from Manheim with no issues.
Old 11-18-23, 01:20 PM
Fis4Forty
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

@liazhang I used to live in the Atlanta area and there is a Lexus dealer about 6 miles away. Maybe you can get them to take it in and have Lexus check it out. Hennessey Lexus of Gwinnett. A sister Hennessey Lexus is who I went to and they were great.
Old 11-20-23, 08:03 AM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J33LAZ
@liazhang I used to live in the Atlanta area and there is a Lexus dealer about 6 miles away. Maybe you can get them to take it in and have Lexus check it out. Hennessey Lexus of Gwinnett. A sister Hennessey Lexus is who I went to and they were great.
I actually did find the dealer there and was also thinking about the option you mentioned. And thank you for letting me know it is a great dealer.
Old 11-20-23, 08:07 AM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Randy B
I looked at the pics in the ad link you provided. The Auction listed the condition as a 3.5, not me. There is something or things of an issue if its rated that low. Lots of things can make it get here. Low tread tires, chips, dents, prior paint or body work, smoke smell, burnholes in the interior, etc and any combination of these or more. An independent party at the auction makes the inspection not the selling or buying dealer. Maybe this Dealer cleaned up/repaired whatever the issue/s were? No idea. The actual condition report is not viewable since the vehicle sold. No their isn't a public site to see this information.

I'm not you, nor is anyone else here. I had my GSF and had a great time with it. I won't put the car down one bit. The choice is yours.
I see, thank you for getting all these details explained. Really appreciate it. I am now really on the fence, it will all depends the car's condition. I will probably ask the dealer send it for an inspection to make sure the trip don't let me down.
Old 11-20-23, 11:30 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 452 Likes on 285 Posts

I'm glad to see you're vigilant, and members of this forum are an invaluable asset.
Old 11-24-23, 05:50 PM
Fis4Forty
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

BTW, randomly was curious how long this one has been on the market and pulled up the CarFax. Looks like it was serviced at the Lexus dealer I mentioned back in August. You may be able to get some info out of the dealer if you called them.

Old 11-26-23, 08:37 AM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

I am having ToyoTech guys nearby doing an inspection on this one this Monday, let's see what they would say.
The following 2 users liked this post by liazhang:
greys0uled (11-28-23), Nunz (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 08:07 AM
Nunz
Pit Crew

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Good luck, hopefully everything is good after the inspection
Old 11-30-23, 10:33 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by liazhang
I am having ToyoTech guys nearby doing an inspection on this one this Monday, let's see what they would say.
No update????

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this buying, worth the gambling?