GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Swift springs installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-19, 05:32 PM
robroyalty
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Swift springs installed

I took my tanabe springs off and switched them to swift springs. After installing the swift springs I noticed a big difference from the rear driver side to the rear passenger side. The passenger side sits almost a finger higher. Do lowering springs have to settle or is this how it’s gonna be. I’m totally not happy with how it looks it almost looks like stock smh. Here are some pics. Please help... my car is a 2013 gs 350 RWD.

Rear passenger side

Rear driver side
Old 05-04-19, 05:57 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 415 Likes on 290 Posts

They do need time to settle over a few weeks but even then the initial drop should be even on both sides. You either have something else wrong in the suspension or they didn't do a proper install by preloading the suspension before tightening everything down (most likely reason for uneven drop).
Old 05-04-19, 06:44 PM
robroyalty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by np20412
They do need time to settle over a few weeks but even then the initial drop should be even on both sides. You either have something else wrong in the suspension or they didn't do a proper install by preloading the suspension before tightening everything down (most likely reason for uneven drop).
I did it myself. Maybe I did something wrong but I had tanabe springs on before this so it was already lowered and the tanabe looked good
Old 05-04-19, 06:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,629 Posts

That looks like the wheel gap on a Ford F-150 4x4! I'm guessing you tightened everything up without the weight of the car loading the suspension.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (05-05-19)
Old 05-04-19, 07:47 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 415 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by robroyalty
I did it myself. Maybe I did something wrong but I had tanabe springs on before this so it was already lowered and the tanabe looked good
I'd redo it and make sure you don't torque anything until you've got the natural weight of the vehicle on the suspension
jonathancl (05-05-19)
Old 05-05-19, 04:18 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Lift the car up and inspect both sides. Make sure that both springs are sitting properly. Also, check if one side was installed upside down. This may or may not cause an uneven drop.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 05-05-19 at 04:32 AM.
TOPENDMS (05-05-19)
Old 05-05-19, 06:00 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Lexus factory springs used to come color coded (not sure if they still do that) to identify left from right, and their lengths were slightly different to accommodate the uneven road surface (most roads are built with a slight gradient to allow for water runoff, etc.)

See here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drainage_gradient

If these replacement springs were “built properly,” then the uneven height would make sense, even though it does not give you the “look” you want.

Form follows function, and all that...
Old 05-05-19, 10:59 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Might be an install error. Never had this issue before.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-05-19, 11:06 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,629 Posts

With some cars the spring can be rotated where it doesn't seat properly in the lower spring perch. This naturally raises the body on that side by the distance the spring lacks from being properly seated in the perch.
Old 05-05-19, 01:12 PM
robroyalty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
With some cars the spring can be rotated where it doesn't seat properly in the lower spring perch. This naturally raises the body on that side by the distance the spring lacks from being properly seated in the perch.
I rotated them yesterday and still nothing changed. I’m about to take them out and switch side to see if it does it to the other side.
Old 05-05-19, 02:17 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by robroyalty
I took my tanabe springs off and switched them to swift springs. After installing the swift springs I noticed a big difference from the rear driver side to the rear passenger side. The passenger side sits almost a finger higher. Do lowering springs have to settle or is this how it’s gonna be. I’m totally not happy with how it looks it almost looks like stock smh. Here are some pics. Please help... my car is a 2013 gs 350 RWD. Rear driver side
Looks like you raised the car. Has to be improper install, unless you got the wrong springs.
Old 05-06-19, 10:09 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

What was the reason for the switch?
Old 05-06-19, 11:48 AM
robroyalty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hypebeast
What was the reason for the switch?
I didn’t like how the tanabe lowered my car. I’m on 20s and originally just wanted to close the gap from the stock look but after the tanabe springs broke in the car looked like a lowered car something I didn’t want just close the gap. So I did research and heard the swift springs would be the best bet. It’s actually starting to lower from where it was just needed to drive the car a bit. Also swift springs feel a lot more comfortable also. I’m not saying tanabe is a bad spring just not what I wanted.
Old 05-07-19, 09:25 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts

I had the same issue. I dropped on Tanabe (and for those reading comments about them not being good, or bouncy, or ruining shocks, ya'll are crazy and are just looking for bologna to complain about), and my rear right was a half inch higher. After about 100 miles, I knew it wasn't about settling. So I got it on ramps and loosened that big *** bolt at the hinge point of the rear control arm and let it sit for a few minutes before tightening up again. Even Steven now.
Jestercow (05-01-24)
Old 05-07-19, 09:38 PM
robroyalty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SharpGent
I had the same issue. I dropped on Tanabe (and for those reading comments about them not being good, or bouncy, or ruining shocks, ya'll are crazy and are just looking for bologna to complain about), and my rear right was a half inch higher. After about 100 miles, I knew it wasn't about settling. So I got it on ramps and loosened that big *** bolt at the hinge point of the rear control arm and let it sit for a few minutes before tightening up again. Even Steven now.
Thanks bro so far it has went down a little I’m driving from the Bay Area to Oklahoma tomorrow so I’m sure that should really get them settled in but it’s definitely looking a lot better. Before I leave I’m gonna try what you did and put it on a ramp.

Quick Reply: Swift springs installed