Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

GS450H lowered on RSR down

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 02:28 PM
02REX
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool GS450H lowered on RSR down

Finally got the car lowered on RSR downs and had SPC camber arms installed. Shout out to Josh at Meraki Autoworks for great deals on the parts and Jonathan at Jovenal Autoworks in San Diego for great customer service and professional install services.
Sucks not having anyone to have gone down this road on a Hybrid 4GS so everything I’ve done so far is trial and error. My only concern is having 400 extra pounds of Hybrid battery, I sit lower in the rear than all the other cars I saw on here with RSR downs. Granted this suspension is specifically for the Hybrid GS450H. My front sits perfect if you look at the pics but the rear has the look of the RSR Super downs. Rear needs to be raised about 1/4”-1/2” max. Tried to get an alignment but rear is tucked about 1/4". Don't wanna get thinner tires because the ride is perfect. Rolling fenders would have to be an absolute last resort.
Trying to source out coil spring spacers. The ride is almost stock! Drove 2 hours to San Diego to have the install done because I trust Jovenal Autoworks and they have proven themselves on Luxury cars and the 4GS time and time again. The drive back was so very comfortable and similar to stock. Only time you can really tell it was slightly stiffer was driving on I-5 with the occasional "Dukes of Hazard" bumps they have. No rubbing at all.
Any help with finding 1/4" coil spacers would be great! Preferably rubber over aluminum. Below I'm Posting some before and after.

Stock front

Stock left

Springs and arms

Lowered front

Lowered left side

Lowered right side

Jovenal contact info

Last edited by 02REX; 11-28-18 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Missing photos, typos
The following 2 users liked this post by 02REX:
dTxworld (12-14-18), wktjr (11-28-18)
Old 11-28-18, 03:27 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

The rears do look lower as you had indicated. Once you load up a passenger or two in the rear, it will be more noticeable. What about getting custom coilovers for the car instead? Using springs made for the GS350 is iffy.... although it fits, it was not designed for a car that's 400-lbs heavier in the rear. 400-lbs is a lot of weight.
Old 11-28-18, 03:49 PM
02REX
Driver

Question These Springs are for the GS450H

Originally Posted by azipod
The rears do look lower as you had indicated. Once you load up a passenger or two in the rear, it will be more noticeable. What about getting custom coilovers for the car instead? Using springs made for the GS350 is iffy.... although it fits, it was not designed for a car that's 400-lbs heavier in the rear. 400-lbs is a lot of weight.
the springs I used are specifically for the GS450H not the GS350. They are designed for the extra weight of the batteries. you will see it on the sticker with the spring in one of the photos. these were specifically for the Hybrid 450H. i was just comparing the look to the RSR downs of the regular 350 that everyone else posted. Theirs don't seem as low in the back. So that's why I took a chance with these. I don't wanna lose the sport mode/sport mode+ adjustability by going with coilovers. that's why I went with the springs. looking at options to get it lifted ever so slightly because I love everything about these springs so far except for the slight extra in the rear on the drop. the second local tuner shop I went to said they can work some magic on it and get close to stock on alignment. but not without rubbing. so raising about 1/4" is looking like the best option for now.
Old 11-28-18, 03:52 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Got it. I read your post incorrectly. I had no idea they had springs for the GS450h!
Old 11-29-18, 10:54 AM
02REX
Driver

Originally Posted by azipod
Got it. I read your post incorrectly. I had no idea they had springs for the GS450h!
Its all good! lol. I figured. I'm trying to do some research for the spacers now. I'm determined but ill get it.
Old 11-29-18, 11:15 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Thank you good sir!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 11-29-18, 11:22 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I think it you wrapped the roof and the roof trim gloss black, along with the visor decal, the car would look sick.

also the nia lip diffuser slats to complete the look:
The following users liked this post:
02REX (12-11-18)
Old 12-11-18, 02:37 PM
02REX
Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
I think it you wrapped the roof and the roof trim gloss black, along with the visor decal, the car would look sick.

also the nia lip diffuser slats to complete the look:
Thanks bro! I need to check out a few pics of wrapped roofs to see how it will look. but if it fits, ill definitely go down that road. those rear side spats are nice! I need to find those! thanks again man!
Old 12-14-18, 01:50 PM
dTxworld
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 02REX
I don't wanna lose the sport mode/sport mode+ adjustability by going with coilovers.
Can you please go into more detail about how the coilovers make you lose the sport/sport plus modes?
Old 12-14-18, 02:18 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

Man there's some strange wheels seen on this page haha. Looks fantastic lowered.
02REX (12-17-18)
Old 12-17-18, 01:26 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by dTxworld
Can you please go into more detail about how the coilovers make you lose the sport/sport plus modes?
aftermarket coilovers use their own shocks which are not compatible with the stepper motors that sit on top of the factory shocks to adjust the valving/damping as you choose between normal/sport/sport plus.
although most aftermarket coilovers do have adjustable damping, it just not accessible from the driver's seat (each corner would have a **** that you physically have to turn to adjust, which is less convenient).
The following 2 users liked this post by timmy0tool:
02REX (12-17-18), dTxworld (12-18-18)
Old 12-17-18, 02:55 PM
02REX
Driver

Originally Posted by dTxworld
Originally Posted by timmy0tool
aftermarket coilovers use their own shocks which are not compatible with the stepper motors that sit on top of the factory shocks to adjust the valving/damping as you choose between normal/sport/sport plus.
although most aftermarket coilovers do have adjustable damping, it just not accessible from the driver's seat (each corner would have a **** that you physically have to turn to adjust, which is less convenient).
^^^ what he said. the adjustability of the shocks and dampening is automatic when you shift between ECO/Normal/Sport/Sport Plus (I have a hybrid so I get the ECO love). Using springs alone, you keep that adjustability that the car does automatically. If you go with coilovers, you lose it and will have to adjust manually to fit your situation (street, track, etc). I have a 530awhp EVO for the track so my 4GS is luxury mode only. Ive read there are a couple coilover options that allow you to keep that adjustability, but you will pay out the ying yang for it. Also if you go bags, I believe you lose it as well. I want to retain a lot of the functionality of the suspension as possible other than the ride height. So its something to keep in mind when you go down that road.
dTxworld (12-18-18)
Old 12-18-18, 12:17 PM
dTxworld
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I appreciate the advice as I'm going through the process of deciding to go with coils/arms or springs as many of us have probably thought of at one point... I've had both coils and springs on my other vehicle, a 2010 Accord, and remember that I was actually good with the Eibach springs I had on it temporarily but eventually moved to Megan coils+camber kit in the long run bc I was eating through expensive 19" tires (and found a good deal in the group). I'm assuming the springs plus a kit/arms would fix that issue someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, is there any other advice you veterans have for choosing one over the other and/or feedback regarding the 2 options? Thanks in advance Lexus fam!
Old 11-08-19, 12:56 PM
lexusbeef
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O2REX, how are you getting on with the springs? I've got a 4th gen GS450h in the UK and am looking for new springs to reduce the body roll.

Are the RSR Down, the same as RSR Down Sus?

From the website it looks like the spring spec for the GS350 is the same as the spec for the GS450h, which might explain why its a bit lower at the rear than wanted. Sounds like the springs are suited to the GS450h, but RSR haven't made them any different to the ones for the GS350.