GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Missing navigation micro SD card

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 09:20 PM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Missing navigation micro SD card

Just bought a used white 2015 GS 350 FSport from a used car dealer. Navigation screen says "searching for data" and is basically useless with the microSD card. I also have a grey 2015 GS 350 FSport that I bought new from the dealer in 2015 so the navigation works fine. I tried inserting the "grey" micro sd card into the "white" slot to see what would happen... NOTHING! Apparently these micro SD cards are vehicle specific. Before I goto the dealer and get upsold on everything, what else am I looking at? Someone had mentioned the cost of both the card and programming??? It's understandable why these would be vehicle specific but it also pisses me off that someone took it and it won't work in anyone else's vehicle. I see Lexus micro SD cards for sale on eBay for $80 but thankfully I had one to test out before I wasted my money. I fully understand I have to goto the dealer but I just want to know what I have to pay for an approx cost. Any guidance much appreciated.
Old 06-14-18, 09:34 PM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by guppie
Just bought a used white 2015 GS 350 FSport from a used car dealer. Navigation screen says "searching for data" and is basically useless with the microSD card. I also have a grey 2015 GS 350 FSport that I bought new from the dealer in 2015 so the navigation works fine. I tried inserting the "grey" micro sd card into the "white" slot to see what would happen... NOTHING! Apparently these micro SD cards are vehicle specific. Before I goto the dealer and get upsold on everything, what else am I looking at? Someone had mentioned the cost of both the card and programming??? It's understandable why these would be vehicle specific but it also pisses me off that someone took it and it won't work in anyone else's vehicle. I see Lexus micro SD cards for sale on eBay for $80 but thankfully I had one to test out before I wasted my money. I fully understand I have to goto the dealer but I just want to know what I have to pay for an approx cost. Any guidance much appreciated.
You'll end up paying roughly $300.
The following users liked this post:
guppie (06-16-18)
Old 06-15-18, 01:01 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus pricing for the Gen 8 micro SD card for the 2015 GS is $210. There is no installation cost as they sell you the package and you put the new chip in the slot and wait for the installation to complete.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nimimi:
guppie (06-16-18), Im2bz2p345 (07-09-18)
Old 06-15-18, 03:03 PM
Nvicta
Pit Crew

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

I bought the same car, year, package, cpo and the dealer told me "Woops, the sd card is missing. So sorry, here is a new one. No charge as they said it was necessary for all the features to function properly. " They also gave me a new set of all weather floor mats for the trouble of having to come back. I didn't ask for any of it. Either they were real nice or the sd card should accompany the car?

good luck

Old 06-16-18, 12:39 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep. If bought from Lexus dealer then it should come with the car. part of their quality check...
Old 06-16-18, 09:30 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I take it that you bought the car from a used car dealer that was not a Lexus dealer. In my view, I think whoever sold you the car owes you a working NAV, which requires the SD card to work.
Old 06-16-18, 09:37 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I take it that you bought the car from a used car dealer that was not a Lexus dealer. In my view, I think whoever sold you the car owes you a working NAV, which requires the SD card to work.
Lots of luck with that. I am sure the car was sold "as is." Worth a try, I suppose.
Old 06-16-18, 09:47 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Originally Posted by ECL
Lots of luck with that. I am sure the car was sold "as is." Worth a try, I suppose.
Agree! But, worth trying...
Old 06-16-18, 09:51 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtkotze
Yep. If bought from Lexus dealer then it should come with the car. part of their quality check...
not if the car is not certified, if its a non certified lexus, they wont do a thing as its basically sold as is
Old 06-16-18, 09:53 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Was it a lexus dealer?, and was the car considered a CPO(certified pre owned)? If not, that falls on you. If its a random used car dealer, yeah fat chance they will sell/give you an SD card for the nav.....sorry but sounds like you'll be ending up at the dealership
Old 06-16-18, 11:13 AM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

It was not a Lexus dealer so it's on me. But Nimimi gave me exactly what I was looking for so I'm OK with it.
Old 06-16-18, 11:20 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

It was not a Lexus dealer so it's on me. But Nimimi gave me exactly what I was looking for so I'm OK with it.
gotcha, sounds good
Old 07-07-18, 11:47 PM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

quick update: dealer charged me $250 for new card (software dated June 2017) and simply inserted the sd card and followed the on-screen instructions, even though the service agent told me I would need to pay a $180 "programming" fee.
I posted a Youtube video because I couldn't find anything out there. Hope this helps someone else.

The following 2 users liked this post by guppie:
Im2bz2p345 (07-09-18), ptung07 (07-09-18)
Old 07-09-18, 04:02 AM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

quick update: dealer charged me $250 for new card (software dated June 2017) and simply inserted the sd card and followed the on-screen instructions, even though the service agent told me I would need to pay a $180 "programming" fee.
I posted a Youtube video because I couldn't find anything out there. Hope this helps someone else.

https://youtu.be/l0wWlcTisIc
Great, thank you! Looks good.
Old 07-09-18, 05:02 PM
ptung07
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

https://youtu.be/l0wWlcTisIc

Thanks for posting that video...good to know if in the future I want to update my lexus that uses a SD card for maps...Don’t buy used and don’t have to have lexus “program” it because it should just load like yours!

Quick Reply: Missing navigation micro SD card