GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Purchase Questions - '13 GS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 03:59 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purchase Questions - '13 GS350

I'm looking at a 2013 GS350 AWD at 30k miles for purchase for my wife's daily driver and we have two little girls, 9 and 7. She's been driving a '07 IS350 for about 4 years and I'm considering upgrading to the GS and I found one that looks like one in good condition.

This GS350 was purchased and driven in late 2012 by an old gentleman in Woodbridge, VA and he only drove 30k miles. He purchased a truck and needs to sell the GS. Carfax shows one service at Lexus dealership at 5k miles and only registration renewals but nothing else (Lexus website doesn't show any other services). The owner said he only did oil changes at 5k miles with synthetic oil, but there are no maintenance records though. Everything is original including tires which still have some treads left. It has premium and cold weather package, blind spot monitor, navigation, 18" chrome wheels, and parking sensors (Original sticker price was almost $55k). Light beige exterior (not one of my favorite colors) with orange colored leather. I would've like to have Luxury or F Sport package, but it's not necessary.

The GS was powerful and smooth with plenty of power and I was satisfied with the how it drove and noise level. The car never had any body/paint work and the exterior is in pretty good contain with no noticeable dings, dents, etc.

Now, I have a few questions.

1. What'd be the fair price for this 2013 GS350 AWD for private sale considering its options, condition and color combo?
2. Would GS feel much roomier than the IS? From the driver's seat, it was more comfortable and roomier, but not sure about backseat space.
3. What kind of services would you do for a vehicle at 30k miles and 5 years old?
4. Any common issues to look at for a used 13 GS350?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-18, 04:20 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cherishzm
I'm looking at a 2013 GS350 AWD at 30k miles for purchase for my wife's daily driver and we have two little girls, 9 and 7. She's been driving a '07 IS350 for about 4 years and I'm considering upgrading to the GS and I found one that looks like one in good condition.

This GS350 was purchased and driven in late 2012 by an old gentleman in Woodbridge, VA and he only drove 30k miles. He purchased a truck and needs to sell the GS. Carfax shows one service at Lexus dealership at 5k miles and only registration renewals but nothing else (Lexus website doesn't show any other services). The owner said he only did oil changes at 5k miles with synthetic oil, but there are no maintenance records though. Everything is original including tires which still have some treads left. It has premium and cold weather package, blind spot monitor, navigation, 18" chrome wheels, and parking sensors (Original sticker price was almost $55k). Light beige exterior (not one of my favorite colors) with orange colored leather. I would've like to have Luxury or F Sport package, but it's not necessary.

The GS was powerful and smooth with plenty of power and I was satisfied with the how it drove and noise level. The car never had any body/paint work and the exterior is in pretty good contain with no noticeable dings, dents, etc.

1. What'd be the fair price for this 2013 GS350 AWD for private sale considering its options, condition and color combo?
2. Would GS feel much roomier than the IS? From the driver's seat, it was more comfortable and roomier, but not sure about backseat space.
3. What kind of services would you do for a vehicle at 30k miles and 5 years old?

Thanks!
1. I would be in the 24-27k range on the price, if it was me.
2. It does feel a lot bigger then an IS imo3. Decent trunk as well
3. I would change the oil, and all air filters. (it is a lexus!)
4. nothing as far as reliability is concerned

*is should have been a much smoother and quiter ride then your older is.
Old 01-07-18, 04:56 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Sounds like it might be a nice car. Personally I would put new tires on it. 4-5 years max. on tires and then I replace. People tend to think that just because tires have good tread left that they are good enough to drive with them. Rubber dry rots, and I wouldn't want my wife & kids driving on older tires.
Old 01-07-18, 05:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Way more room than an IS.
Old 01-07-18, 05:24 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I have two little girls too, 9 and 7 as well. Plenty of room in back seats for them, they look like tiny midgets back there LOL. Though they hate riding in my GS, because their booster seats block the belt buckle and my loud JoeZ exhaust. I always get.."ugh, not the Lexus" comments when we take the Lexus out for the night. Nothing against the GS though, it's perfect for me. Got the wife a 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid..no more complaints from kids. It's smooth and quiet and doesn't block seat buckles.
Old 01-07-18, 05:53 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I would swap the battery considering its gone through some cold winters etc......Get the brakes checked when getting new tires, change air and cabin air filter with oil change
Old 01-07-18, 07:27 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jordanhigg
1. I would be in the 24-27k range on the price, if it was me.
2. It does feel a lot bigger then an IS imo3. Decent trunk as well
3. I would change the oil, and all air filters. (it is a lexus!)
4. nothing as far as reliability is concerned

*is should have been a much smoother and quiter ride then your older is.
Thanks for the comments! I'd negotiated the price down to $22.5k cash, but as I'm reading posts here on this forum, I want the Luxury Package.. of course for more money Would an exterior color affect resale value of GS? I really like to have gray or white, but the wife says she prefers this color than white so guess it's okay!
Old 01-07-18, 07:28 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by charley95
Sounds like it might be a nice car. Personally I would put new tires on it. 4-5 years max. on tires and then I replace. People tend to think that just because tires have good tread left that they are good enough to drive with them. Rubber dry rots, and I wouldn't want my wife & kids driving on older tires.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-07-18, 07:29 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JDR76
Way more room than an IS.
I liked how it felt sitting in the driver's seat and pushing the gas pedal all the way down
Old 01-07-18, 07:31 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I have two little girls too, 9 and 7 as well. Plenty of room in back seats for them, they look like tiny midgets back there LOL. Though they hate riding in my GS, because their booster seats block the belt buckle and my loud JoeZ exhaust. I always get.."ugh, not the Lexus" comments when we take the Lexus out for the night. Nothing against the GS though, it's perfect for me. Got the wife a 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid..no more complaints from kids. It's smooth and quiet and doesn't block seat buckles.
I was originally looking for a large SUV including the MDX, but my wife does not like big vehicles. She wants to get a sedan and this one came across and looks like a good deal.
Old 01-07-18, 07:32 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I would swap the battery considering its gone through some cold winters etc......Get the brakes checked when getting new tires, change air and cabin air filter with oil change
Oh I forgot that it does have a new battery (with AAA sticker on it) and I believe that's the only thing not original.
Old 01-08-18, 07:25 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

Thanks!
1. A fair price would be in the $25-$30k range since the mileage is low. If the owner kept it in good condition and its AWD, that adds to the price
2. The GS will definitely feel roomier than the IS. I had a 2011 IS and the GS is definitely bigger in both interior and exterior wise. The Trunk is also a good size compared to the IS.
3. Oil/Oil Filter/Cabin Filter/Brakes/Rotors/Tires. The mileage is low so there isn't much else to worry about.
4. Moonroof rattle/noise (fixed myself with new rubber seal and DIY forum here on clublexus); leather seat peeling issues (fixed at purchase under factory warranty); AWD whining noise (TSB-related/fixed under powertrain warranty). None of these were "major" issues in my book.

The 4GS is very reliable and uses a proven drivetrain/engine. One with 30k miles would end up being certified at a Lexus dealership without question. Go for it if its in your budget!
Old 01-08-18, 07:50 AM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AJLex19
1. A fair price would be in the $25-$30k range since the mileage is low. If the owner kept it in good condition and its AWD, that adds to the price
2. The GS will definitely feel roomier than the IS. I had a 2011 IS and the GS is definitely bigger in both interior and exterior wise. The Trunk is also a good size compared to the IS.
3. Oil/Oil Filter/Cabin Filter/Brakes/Rotors/Tires. The mileage is low so there isn't much else to worry about.
4. Moonroof rattle/noise (fixed myself with new rubber seal and DIY forum here on clublexus); leather seat peeling issues (fixed at purchase under factory warranty); AWD whining noise (TSB-related/fixed under powertrain warranty). None of these were "major" issues in my book.

The 4GS is very reliable and uses a proven drivetrain/engine. One with 30k miles would end up being certified at a Lexus dealership without question. Go for it if its in your budget!
Thanks for your post!!

It's good to know its roomier than IS and I noticed that when I sat in the IS yesterday (I feel cramped in it!) It did look like in good condition and drove quite well and I didn't notice any rattle/noise during the test drive on highway mainly up to 80MPH.

Even if I didn't find anything that may need attention, do you think pre-purchase used car inspection would be necessary or helpful? By the way, we have agreed on the price for purchase/sale of the GS and we're planning to pick it up this weekend. I think I can ask the seller to help with having it inspected at a nearby auto shop I can find.
Old 01-08-18, 08:00 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

Thanks for your post!!

It's good to know its roomier than IS and I noticed that when I sat in the IS yesterday (I feel cramped in it!) It did look like in good condition and drove quite well and I didn't notice any rattle/noise during the test drive on highway mainly up to 80MPH.

Even if I didn't find anything that may need attention, do you think pre-purchase used car inspection would be necessary or helpful? By the way, we have agreed on the price for purchase/sale of the GS and we're planning to pick it up this weekend. I think I can ask the seller to help with having it inspected at a nearby auto shop I can find.
A pre-purchase inspection can't hurt. There can always be some things that aren't obvious - the car is at least 5-6 years old and things that are under the hood/under body may not be as easy to discern (maybe any seals/gaskets/plugs/hoses/bolts/exhaust components/etc could be worn or problematic). If you were buying it from the dealership as a CPO, then i'd say no real need for a secondary inspection (I have access to a mechanic in the family and didn't feel compelled to ask him for his input on my 4GS purchase).

You should definitely do whatever makes you feel most comfortable with the purchase
Old 01-08-18, 08:31 AM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AJLex19
A pre-purchase inspection can't hurt. There can always be some things that aren't obvious - the car is at least 5-6 years old and things that are under the hood/under body may not be as easy to discern (maybe any seals/gaskets/plugs/hoses/bolts/exhaust components/etc could be worn or problematic). If you were buying it from the dealership as a CPO, then i'd say no real need for a secondary inspection (I have access to a mechanic in the family and didn't feel compelled to ask him for his input on my 4GS purchase).

You should definitely do whatever makes you feel most comfortable with the purchase
It'll be a purchase from a private party. I think I'll find an auto shop for a used car inspection before this weekend to have a peace of mind that there's nothing major that needs to be done.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Purchase Questions - '13 GS350