GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New breaks every 20,000km on my GS350 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 01:08 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't imagine needing brakes (not breaks) done sooner than every 30-40k miles. I've been told on other vehicles that "you'll need brakes soon" only to find 60% of the brake pad material left. Do yourself a favor and become a little more acquainted with your car - watch some youtube videos and figure out how to pull a wheel off and inspect the pads.

If you're too nervous to turn a wrench - get a second opinion somewhere else or find a friend that knows this stuff.

OR - you'll just be the dealer's favorite type of customer - the one that takes their word for it and throws unnecessary money at the car.

I take my car to the dealer for oil changes because I don't feel like dealing w/ the mess and it's close to work.. but other stuff like brakes, air filters and bulbs I'll do myself. I also get tire rotations for free since tires were purchased at Discount Tire.

Some of the services are kinda outrageous - they want like $70 for a tire rotation while in for an oil change. I asked "does that include a re-balance too?" "No, just rotation.." Seriously? It's already up in the air! But if one in every 5 or 10 customers say go ahead, that's $$ in their pocket for about 5 mins worth of extra work.

With soooo much info out there online, you almost have no excuse to get taken for a ride by the dealer or any other place. I do realize that due to the nature of the brand, the Lexus dealers assume 99% of the customers will never look under the hood or turn a wrench and that's how they make their $$.
Old 11-11-17, 11:04 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
I can't imagine needing brakes (not breaks) done sooner than every 30-40k miles. I've been told on other vehicles that "you'll need brakes soon" only to find 60% of the brake pad material left. Do yourself a favor and become a little more acquainted with your car - watch some youtube videos and figure out how to pull a wheel off and inspect the pads.

If you're too nervous to turn a wrench - get a second opinion somewhere else or find a friend that knows this stuff.

OR - you'll just be the dealer's favorite type of customer - the one that takes their word for it and throws unnecessary money at the car.

I take my car to the dealer for oil changes because I don't feel like dealing w/ the mess and it's close to work.. but other stuff like brakes, air filters and bulbs I'll do myself. I also get tire rotations for free since tires were purchased at Discount Tire.

Some of the services are kinda outrageous - they want like $70 for a tire rotation while in for an oil change. I asked "does that include a re-balance too?" "No, just rotation.." Seriously? It's already up in the air! But if one in every 5 or 10 customers say go ahead, that's $$ in their pocket for about 5 mins worth of extra work.

With soooo much info out there online, you almost have no excuse to get taken for a ride by the dealer or any other place. I do realize that due to the nature of the brand, the Lexus dealers assume 99% of the customers will never look under the hood or turn a wrench and that's how they make their $$.
I've found that BMW brake pads are the worse about wearing out really fast and needing to be replaced. For the most part, the more brake dust you have, the softer the pads are and the quicker you can stop - but the trade-off is the brake pads will need to be replaced sooner.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-11-17 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 03:17 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I remember hearing that G35s went through brakes fairly often as well, like 10-15k miles some people were reporting
Old 11-11-17, 03:29 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts

my first set replaced around 18k miles, mines is a f sport. I change my pads every 1 yr on oem pads since they are soft material, now I changed out to akubono pads see how long it will last and tires every 2 yrs.
Old 11-11-17, 05:47 PM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told the same thing by my dealer. 20K miles and needed new pads. I thought the dealer was trying to get over on me so I took it to a trusted mechanic who confirmed that my pads were done. I had the pads changed at my trusted shop for two reasons. 1) It was a whole lot cheaper 2) After reading around, this seems to be a common theme which made me wonder if Toyota's brake pad compound is just too soft for the car. . I call corporate Toyota and complained that there was no way that I should burn through a set of pads in 20K miles. After a few calls they agree to do a one time "good faith" reimbursement. I did have to get pretty "whiny" before they agreed...
Old 11-11-17, 06:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

The more performance the car - the better braking it has - the faster the pads wear - the greater the chance of squeaking brakes...

Oh, also in case you didn't already know - it also means the car comes with softer tires that wear faster...and won't get very good fuel mileage.

Of course you knew all that before you bought the car, right? If so, don't act shocked! And, why complain?

Last edited by bclexus; 11-11-17 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 10:12 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by louisleduc
Thanks for all your feedback! it is the F-sport model and I don't drive it to work but mainly long trips on highway. The back breaks where on metal I could here them. I'm now thinking that because the car is parked for days and sometime 2 or three weeks between trips, the caliper must be ceasing, specially in the back! I asked the dealer to check them and they said they were still good. again thanks for your feedback very appreciated. I don't think the car is for me to be used occasionally.
Is it RWD or AWD?

AWD f-sports have the same brakes as non-f-sports. Only RWD f-sports have upgraded brakes.