GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is This Car Too Good to be True?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 05:12 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Is This Car Too Good to be True?

Hi all -

TL;DR: Car is loaded GS350 with HUD, Night vision and Mark Levinson. Wants 26K with 60k miles. Too good?

I wanted to get your opinion on this http://www.thompsonstoyota.com/inven...Placerville-CA

It is loaded including HUD and night vision (doesn't have LKA oddly enough though). I was thinking about taking a look at this. Do you think it is a fair price? I would like to get them down to around $23k but that might be greedy. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a company to ship the car to NY? Lol.

Is anyone in the Sacramento area? Is this too many miles? I am slightly concerned about buying a car with this many miles sight unseen.

Thanks all!

OFGS
Old 09-18-17, 05:36 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, look at it.

If you can afford it, fly there, inspect, test, and possibly buy it. If not, get a walk around on Facetime or Skype. If the pics are real-deal, than they shouldn't have a problem accommodating that. I don't believe I've seen a 2013 with all those options. Is that considered "Lux" package for a 2013 (rear controls, etc)? It's not Fsport, so I'm assuming Lux.

Everything beyond that is a dice roll if you don't go actually see and touch the car. Could have a drivetrain issue, maybe it was a flood auction, or it does some weird "thing"? And...it's not CPO so you don't have that level of warranted security. Being that it isn't CPO, they could pay to get it certified by Lexus - which would obviously increase the price. I'd definitely want some kind of warranty worked out. At least with CPO, any Lexus dealer honors it. If you're going to pay for an extended warranty, why not just have them certify it is what I'm thinking.

Wrt to freight. I paid $750 (the dealer covered half) to ship from Monterey, CA to Virginia Beach, VA. They set it up with whatever company they utilize most (covered carrier was my only demand).

Just my immediate thoughts. Good find if you ask me.

Sal
Old 09-18-17, 06:00 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Dude, you rock. Thanks for the information. I looked at the carfax and its a 1 owner car from SC who moved to Nevada and then sold the car. There isn't any damage reported or anything.

I was slightly concerned about not being certified. I will have to wait until the dealer opens to ask about that.

The package is the Luxury package with tons of additional options. I have actually never seen a singe GS with the night vision until that one.
Old 09-18-17, 07:38 AM
CMT20
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Hi all -

TL;DR: Car is loaded GS350 with HUD, Night vision and Mark Levinson. Wants 26K with 60k miles. Too good?

I wanted to get your opinion on this http://www.thompsonstoyota.com/inven...Placerville-CA

It is loaded including HUD and night vision (doesn't have LKA oddly enough though). I was thinking about taking a look at this. Do you think it is a fair price? I would like to get them down to around $23k but that might be greedy. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a company to ship the car to NY? Lol.

Is anyone in the Sacramento area? Is this too many miles? I am slightly concerned about buying a car with this many miles sight unseen.

Thanks all!

OFGS
It should be a special order vehicle, and here are the options:
Luxury/Night Vision/Cold Weather Pkg, Pre-Collosion w/ Driver Attention Monitor, HUD, NAV, Mark Levinson, Blind Spot Monitor, Park Assist, Preferred Accessory Pkg.
I've driven a 13 GS with Night Vision, and I was really disappointed with the resolution on the NAV screen. It was very blurry!

It's not feasible to buy this car and bring to a Lexus dealer to request them to certify this vehicle. They will need to charge you 2 hours of labor for certified inspection, and whatever it needs in order to meet Lexus certification requirement, you will have to pay it out from your own pocket such as tires, brakes, wiper blade inserts, etc. And it is due for 60K major service. After this car meets Lexus certification requirement, you have to pay $1395~$1500 to get Lexus Certified Warranty and 2 year free maintenance.

Since the seller is a Toyota dealer, you can buy Platinum Extended Warranty from them, but you need to make sure the warranty is from TFS/LFS which is Toyota/Lexus Financial Services. With TFS/LFS extended warranty, you won't have any issues when you bring the car to Lexus dealers.

I highly recommend you to purchase extended warranty if you decide to get this car since it's almost fully loaded. It's a very reliable vehicle, but you can't predict when the electronic device will go out... just picture to put your laptop in the car while it's over 100 degrees in the summer.

Last edited by CMT20; 09-18-17 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-18-17, 07:49 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CMT20
It should be a special order vehicle, and here are the options:
Luxury/Night Vision/Cold Weather Pkg, Pre-Collosion w/ Driver Attention Monitor, HUD, NAV, Mark Levinson, Blind Spot Monitor, Park Assist, Preferred Accessory Pkg.
I've driven a 13 GS with Night Vision, and I was really disappointed with the resolution on the NAV screen. It was very blurry!

It's not feasible to buy this car and bring to a Lexus dealer to request them to certify this vehicle. They will need to charge you 2 hours of labor for certified inspection, and whatever it needs in order to meet Lexus certification requirement, you will have to pay it out from your own pocket such as tires, brakes, wiper blade inserts, etc. And it is due for 60K major service. After this car meets Lexus certification requirement, you have to pay $1395~$1500 to get Lexus Certified Warranty and 2 year free maintenance.

Since the seller is a Toyota dealer, you can buy Platinum Extended Warranty from them, but you need to make sure the warranty is from TFS/LFS which is Toyota/Lexus Financial Services. With TFS/LFS extended warranty, you won't have any issues when you bring the car to Lexus dealers.

I highly recommend you to purchase extended warranty if you decide to get this car since it's almost fully loaded. It's a very reliable vehicle, but you can't predict when the electronic device will go out... just picture to put your laptop in the car while it's over 100 degrees in the summer.
Yep.

Very much all this stuff.
Old 09-18-17, 08:24 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Awesome advice everyone, thank you.

Anyone know about how much the platinum warranty would be?

Also, anyone near Sacramento who would be willing to see this car in person?

Thanks again!
OFGS
Old 09-18-17, 08:42 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Just got a call from the internet sales manager there. The price it pretty firm but willing to work something out with shipping. I wonder if I can buy the warranty afterwards at my local Toyota dealer...hmmm.
Old 09-18-17, 09:08 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I’ve only seen one other person on the forums (that I can remember) who had the night vision. It’s a good deal IMO, considering the miles are not that high and it’s loaded to the gills.

FYI night vision and LKA is not available together since they use similar (but different enough) camera systems located in the same spot above the rear view mirror, so it’s one or the other.

Last edited by yardie876; 09-18-17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-18-17, 09:44 AM
CMT20
Rookie

Just got a call from the internet sales manager there. The price it pretty firm but willing to work something out with shipping. I wonder if I can buy the warranty afterwards at my local Toyota dealer...hmmm.
I highly doubt it that you can purchase TFS Vehicle Service Agreement which is extended warranty from another Toyota dealer. TFS will only allow original selling dealer to sell VSA at the time of purchase because they have inspected the vehicle. But you can call your local Toyota Dealer and ask them.
Old 09-18-17, 10:10 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

This is all great info. Thank you. I did not know the Night vision and LKA were either or...that is news to me.

I think I will call them back and see if we cant work a deal with a warranty included and see what that shakes out at. I've got some negotiating to do lol.
Old 09-18-17, 10:43 AM
CMT20
Rookie

This is all great info. Thank you. I did not know the Night vision and LKA were either or...that is news to me.

I think I will call them back and see if we cant work a deal with a warranty included and see what that shakes out at. I've got some negotiating to do lol.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-18-17, 11:45 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Thanks. Just waiting on a call back now. I will eat the shipping if they will do the warranty. Shipping is $1k which isn't bad for cross country.
Old 09-18-17, 12:35 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Just to keep everyone updated. The cost of the TFS service agreement for the car is $4300 for 3yr/36k $4900 for 4yr/50k or $5340 for 5yr/60k.....ouch lol
Old 09-18-17, 07:06 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to keep everyone updated. The cost of the TFS service agreement for the car is $4300 for 3yr/36k $4900 for 4yr/50k or $5340 for 5yr/60k.....ouch lol
I have bought my CPO from lexus which had 2400 miles and bought the platinum warranty for 2k which was 3yr 60k miles so a total of 7yrs 100k miles. I just bought the warranty because the car has blind spot, folding mirrors etc.. and electronics can mess up so they are way more expensive to fix than the cost of the warranty. Im not sure if prices in different states are the same. I live in Texas btw.

Last edited by saifm73; 09-18-17 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 09:19 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

There's some stuff in the Carfax that doesn't add up to me. I would be very suspicious of this vehicle. I know you're excited, and the car is very well appointed for options, but please take the time to do a thorough check-out before losing $26k of your hard-earned money.

Firstly, the car was likely a demo or loaner car, considering it was initially offered for sale with 5k miles on it.

Second, if the maintenance records are correct, it had some rapid service events. 10k service, then 11.3k A/C system & brakes checked, then 12.3k serviced, then 12.5k windows checked, then 15.2k serviced, then 15.5k brakes checked again.

Third, the car had regular (maybe too much) service up to 40k miles in 2016...then a move to Nevada and nothing (on Carfax record) until 60k miles in 2017 when it was traded in to a Benz dealer.

Fourth, probably the most fishy to me, is that at 30k in 2015 it moved to Portland and got a full inspection, was registered with Oregon, and 4 months later was back in Columbia, SC getting serviced (repeatedly, again...35k service, 36.3k steering/suspension, 36.6k tire pressure, 37k engine checked) until it suddenly showed up in Nevada in 2016.
The following users liked this post:
Afrosheen (09-24-17)

Quick Reply: Is This Car Too Good to be True?