GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

NAV version on 2014 Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 03:01 PM
nmlexus4gs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NAV version on 2014 Lexus GS

I purchased 2014 GS last week from a local dealership in Los Angeles. The car was just 20,000 miles and in great condition. After couple of days of my purchase, i found that the version of the map was never updated. It still shows v13.
My question is, as i purchased this car from Lexus dealership, don't they update the map version before selling the car to new customer. I am not sure if i should ask for this update, and even they will entertain my request.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-17, 03:31 PM
Tommastie
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nmlexus4gs
I purchased 2014 GS last week from a local dealership in Los Angeles. The car was just 20,000 miles and in great condition. After couple of days of my purchase, i found that the version of the map was never updated. It still shows v13.
My question is, as i purchased this car from Lexus dealership, don't they update the map version before selling the car to new customer. I am not sure if i should ask for this update, and even they will entertain my request.

Thanks.
You can try to negotiate it, but i tried after purchasing the car and to no avail. I bet I could have gotten it done if i didnt buy the car already. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
nmlexus4gs (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 06:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by nmlexus4gs

Thanks.
No, the dealer never updates the NAV map before selling the car to a new customer. You could ask that it be done, but they would charge you for it...or they would hide it somewhere in the purchase price.

A new map update is usually $169 plus 1 hour of labor, which is typically $130/Hr - for a total of approximately $300 for the latest map update. Vehicles made in [say] 2014 will have a 2013 map, which happens to be actually up-to-date about a year earlier...so, the maps run 1.5-2 years behind the model year of the vehicle...

In the late Fall of each year (about the time a new map update is about to become available) Lexus will sell the previous map update for $99 plus labor, for a savings of about $70.

Depending on what model year your vehicle is - the NAV map is updated to your vehicle in different ways. However, newer model vehicles require that each Lexus dealer download the map from Lexus' mainframe computer to the dealer's computer for a specific VIN, then (and only then) can the map update be downloaded to that [one] specific vehicle. It's not like there is a memory card or USB drive that can be used to download the map update to just any Lexus vehicle - it must be dedicated when downloaded from Lexus' mainframe computer to a specific vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
nmlexus4gs (07-15-17)
Old 07-14-17, 08:31 PM
ChazZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
No, the dealer never updates the NAV map before selling the car to a new customer. You could ask that it be done, but they would charge you for it...or they would hide it somewhere in the purchase price.

A new map update is usually $169 plus 1 hour of labor, which is typically $130/Hr - for a total of approximately $300 for the latest map update. Vehicles made in [say] 2014 will have a 2013 map, which happens to be actually up-to-date about a year earlier...so, the maps run 1.5-2 years behind the model year of the vehicle...

In the late Fall of each year (about the time a new map update is about to become available) Lexus will sell the previous map update for $99 plus labor, for a savings of about $70.

Depending on what model year your vehicle is - the NAV map is updated to your vehicle in different ways. However, newer model vehicles require that each Lexus dealer download the map from Lexus' mainframe computer to the dealer's computer for a specific VIN, then (and only then) can the map update be downloaded to that [one] specific vehicle. It's not like there is a memory card or USB drive that can be used to download the map update to just any Lexus vehicle - it must be dedicated when downloaded from Lexus' mainframe computer to a specific vehicle.
Just wondering,
Where is the version number. I bought my GS 350 in April of this year. The only info I could find regarding the navigation was a page under the General Settings that had:

Navigation: V6614200
Bluetooth: 21.220

Is this the latest one? Thanks for any info.
Old 07-15-17, 07:59 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by ChazZ
Just wondering,
Where is the version number. I bought my GS 350 in April of this year. The only info I could find regarding the navigation was a page under the General Settings that had:

Navigation: V6614200
Bluetooth: 21.220

Is this the latest one? Thanks for any info.

► To see what your current NAV map information is: Go to Menu > Information > Map (look at the upper portion of the screen)