GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dashcam Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 01:33 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Dashcam Recommendations?

I remember someone posting something like this awhile ago, but I can't seem to find it...

I bought that Rexing dashcam off Amazon maybe a year and a half ago due to the stellar reviews and etc.. what I found out was that many of those reviews were actually fake and the cam just died on me.. screen doesn't turn on, but the buttons light up.. tried everything customer service suggested, but no luck.. they offered to give me a "ONE TIME DEAL" to buy another new one for $45.. I told them to go pound sand because why would I want to buy another one that's going to fail after another year and a half..

Anyways.. I wasted $100 plus the installation fee on a **** dashcam.. does anyone have any suggestions on a good dashcam. Price isn't an issue, but I don't want my car getting broken into due to it lol. Thanks!
Old 05-04-17, 02:01 PM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
I remember someone posting something like this awhile ago, but I can't seem to find it...

I bought that Rexing dashcam off Amazon maybe a year and a half ago due to the stellar reviews and etc.. what I found out was that many of those reviews were actually fake and the cam just died on me.. screen doesn't turn on, but the buttons light up.. tried everything customer service suggested, but no luck.. they offered to give me a "ONE TIME DEAL" to buy another new one for $45.. I told them to go pound sand because why would I want to buy another one that's going to fail after another year and a half..

Anyways.. I wasted $100 plus the installation fee on a **** dashcam.. does anyone have any suggestions on a good dashcam. Price isn't an issue, but I don't want my car getting broken into due to it lol. Thanks!
BlackVue DR650
Old 05-04-17, 03:26 PM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I picked up the Rexing too but not to satisfied with it. I only save videos for 3 days and I have a 32mb memory card in it. It turns on sometimes which sucks. I actually just picked up the BlackVue DR650. Getting it installed tomorrow work rear camera as well.
Old 05-04-17, 04:56 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Blackvue DR650 2ch
Old 05-04-17, 05:38 PM
xxwhosnxt
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup blackvue 650 just installed it last week awesome !!
Old 05-04-17, 08:01 PM
Luffy808
Driver

Would you all recommend the front only or front and rear dash cam for DR650S?
Old 05-04-17, 08:11 PM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Luffy808
Would you all recommend the front only or front and rear dash cam for DR650S?
Definitely recommend front & rear. Also pick up the power magic pro! Allows for continues recording without battery discharge
Old 05-05-17, 03:39 AM
NYLiqPlat
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the DR650S (front and rear). No complaints here. I recommend getting a 128GB micro SD if you plan on using parking mode frequently.

BTW - I tapped into the heated seats fuse for "switched" power and the hazards for "constant" power. Hope that help because I spent a good 2 weeks scouring the internet (including this forum) before I was confident enough to tap the driver's side fusebox.

Last edited by NYLiqPlat; 05-05-17 at 06:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NYLiqPlat:
Luffy808 (05-05-17), slowpoe3 (03-07-18)
Old 05-05-17, 08:28 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I just got a SpyTec A119 from Amazon for $79.99. We'll see how that goes.

For a lot of reviews and comparisons Dashcamtalk.com

Ed
Old 05-05-17, 10:20 PM
Luffy808
Driver

For those who purchased the DR650S 2CH, how do you hide the wires in the GS? I looked and there is no plastic pieces to hide the wires under! Mines is all felt and their all flushed together! Can someone take a pic of their GS interior and how you hid the wires?

I own a 2016 GS F-Sport model.

TIA
Old 05-05-17, 11:58 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know any installers in Socal/los angeles area for the blackvue?
Old 05-05-17, 11:59 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Dashcams come in two different types.
Traditional single channel with the one camera.
The latest twin channel with two cameras: one for front and the other for rear recording.

Presently, microprocessor technology in dashcams is such that twin channel dashcams feed too much data/second for the tiny single core processors with no active cooling to digest.
This is overcome by slower bit rates and greater data compression, especially in the rear camera, such that twin channel dashcams like the Korean Blackvue DR-650S has only standard hi def HD 1280x720 resolution in the rear camera, and the video quality is compromised.

Presently, it is still superior to use two (2) separate single channel dashcams [one for front, and a second for rear], delivering superior video quality, especially in low light.
The two best video quality actually come from two Taiwanese:
1) Dodd LS470W+:
http://www.dod-tech.us/product/dod-ls470w-plus/

2) Vicovation Vico Opia 2
http://www.vicovation.com/productdetial.asp?id=945C3762-5F60-42B1-88CC-5F45E0E55757&lang=eng

The third best for video quality will be the Australian engineered Chinese manufactured Street Guardian SG9665GC V3 single channel.
I use the SG9665GC over the two Taiwanese, because the SG9665GC has a more streamlined styling with a direct mount, over the Taiwanese's traditional suction cup with big complex fussy ball socket mounts, though the ball socket mounts do have much greater lateral adjustability, if one wishes.

Below is a comparison between the superior single channel SG9665GC, and the ordinary low light video quality of the twin channel Korean Blackvue DR650 Series dashcam.

Street Guardian SG9665GC.

Blackvue DR-650S
This is the front dash cam below. The DR-650 Series rear dashcam's resolution & low light quality is even worse.
The DR-650S is a slightly updated version of the old DR650GW with a few extra features, but the video quality is the same.
The DR-650's can be purchased single channel only for a lower price, but unfortunately, video quality will not be improved over the more expensive twin channel version.
Presently, the Blackvue DR-650 Series is actually passe now.

The built-in input buttons and built-in output LCD screen of the SG9665GC also allows instant view, and instant settings adjustment etc, and trouble-free from the complexities of cell phone wireless connections.
Meanwhile the Bluetooth cell phone wireless remote control design of the Blackvue means one must pull over to the side of the road to pick up the cell phone, before we can access the dashcam's menu system etc.
However, the DR650's wireless cell phone design allows a bigger LCD playback, but then the SG9665GC's micro SD card can be inserted into a desktop PC for massive screen size playback.

Presently, if one is desperate for a single twin channel system, then best purchase the Korean Thinkware F770.
This presently delivers the best video quality esp in low light, among the twin channel dashcams.
However, the front windscreen mounted unit is quite large & may be obstructive, and like the Blackvue DR-650 Series, it requires cell phone wireless Bluetooth connection.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-14-17 at 12:13 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by peteharvey:
boosteddsm (05-12-17), FatherTo1 (09-03-17), Prinny (05-07-17)
Old 05-06-17, 12:29 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by biggame
Definitely recommend front & rear. Also pick up the power magic pro! Allows for continues recording without battery discharge
Dashcams can be hardwired to the vehicle's fuse box to draw power from the battery while parking, so that it can record while parking.

However, to prevent the vehicle's battery from running flat, and not being able to start the motor, special battery power management circuits can be used that monitor car battery voltage, such that when the battery's voltage drops to a certain level like 12.4 volts, power to the dashcam is stopped, to protect the vehicle's battery.

We certainly can use the Korean Blackvue Power Magic Pro for battery protection.

I use a more premium Taiwanese Vicovation Vico Power Plus for vehicle battery protection while park recording for superior input of settings, easy to use LCD output display, and much greater control of voltage, time, amperage, and temperature cut-off settings.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-06-17 at 12:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peteharvey:
endo022 (07-09-18), Prinny (05-07-17)
Old 05-06-17, 12:32 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Luffy808
For those who purchased the DR650S 2CH, how do you hide the wires in the GS? I looked and there is no plastic pieces to hide the wires under! Mines is all felt and their all flushed together! Can someone take a pic of their GS interior and how you hid the wires?

I own a 2016 GS F-Sport model.

TIA
I tuck the wires under the plastic trim with my short fingernails.
If you like, you can also purchase car interior trim prying tools to assist in prying the space between the trim panels, and tucking the wires in manually.

Old 05-06-17, 12:42 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Anyone know any installers in Socal/los angeles area for the blackvue?
Attach to 3M self adhesive mount to your front windscreen, esp below your rear vision mirror, taking care to line up the center of the lens to the center of the vehicle if possible.
Tuck the power cable under the ceiling lining with your fingernails, or using a trim tool.
Finally, insert the 12V plug into your 12V cigarette lighter socket for power.

The dashcam instantly turns on and off with your engine.
Some higher quality dashcams have an EXTERNAL GPS receiver which is attached by 3M self adhesive to the upper right corner of the front windscreen about 2 feet away, so that the electronics inside the CPU unit do NOT interfere with the radio signals received by the GPS mouse.
In the second photo below, someone has mounted their GPS mouse too close to the dashcam, thus defeating the purpose of an external GPS mouse...

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-06-17 at 12:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Prinny (05-07-17)

Quick Reply: Dashcam Recommendations?