GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Blinker

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 08:02 PM
chemchemgm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blinker

just went in for my 5k service. I requested my blinker to be changed from 3 clicks to 5 clicks. The answer from the dealership was that this option was not available on the 2016 gs 350 f sport.

Are they lying to me?
Old 12-31-16, 09:00 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

They are lying. I did it myself on my 2017 GS350 F-sport. It would be weird if they only took it out of just the 2016MY.

Here are the instructions posted in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBike
1. Start with the car completely off
2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.
10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks
- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks
- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks
- 4 flashes = no auto blinks

Last edited by dchar; 12-31-16 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chavez562 (01-02-17)
Old 12-31-16, 09:42 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I ordered a Carista which should arrive Monday. I think it will allow changing a number of things not on the LPS document. This was one thing I want changed to 5.
Old 12-31-16, 10:40 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
I ordered a Carista which should arrive Monday. I think it will allow changing a number of things not on the LPS document. This was one thing I want changed to 5.
The Carista does not have that option for the GS, you will have to use the operation per the post above. Here is the youtube video I used to change mine.
Old 01-01-17, 08:55 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

thanks for the video.........I'll give it a try Monday. I want to change my to 5.
Old 01-01-17, 12:02 PM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

It's shocking what these Dealers don't know. I don't have any issue with the number of blinks, but my new '16 F Sport has a significantly quieter blinker sound than my prior '15 GS....so quiet that you can't hear it if the radio is on even very low. I went by the Dealer and asked their Shop Foreman if they could increase the volume of the blinker sound and they said no. I later looked in the Owners Manual and it clearly shows the volume level is adjustable, but only at the Dealer. This is not the only mis-information I've gotten from service personnel at this and other Lexus Dealers in the past. The more your know about your car, the more you realize these people just say anything and are often wrong.
Old 01-01-17, 12:50 PM
markpjoyce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this and it took less than five minutes, I had to do it twice because it didn't take the first time.
Thanks for posting the video.
Old 01-01-17, 02:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,002 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Originally Posted by markpjoyce
I just did this and it took less than five minutes, I had to do it twice because it didn't take the first time.
Most of the time people make the mistake of lowering the wiper lever beyond just the one position into the middle or neutral position, which is too far for procedure #6. However, it's no big deal to start all over again. Once you've done it one time - the entire procedure can be done in less than a minute.

The trick (I found) is not to use the steering wheel as a fixed point to brace your arm on/against, which you'll be using for lowering the wiper lever just one position - because the steering wheel will rotate and then you'll lower the wiper lever too far beyond just one position...and you'll have to start all over again. It's also best to use your dominant arm/hand to hold the wiper lever up and to carefully lower the wiper lever just the one position that is needed. Brace the arm on the dash instead of the movable steering wheel.

I've gone from the default 3 blinks to 5 blinks, and then back to 3 blinks...and now back again to 5 blinks. Sometimes I find that 3 blinks is plenty and 5 blinks to too much - other times I find that 3 blinks is one too few and 5 is one too many. I wish I had a choice of 4 blinks!
Old 01-01-17, 05:58 PM
chemchemgm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that's awesome! Thank you so much for the video!
Old 01-02-17, 09:47 AM
phins2rt
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Confirming this works on a '16. I changed it a few weeks back.
Old 01-02-17, 12:21 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phins2rt
Confirming this works on a '16. I changed it a few weeks back.
Just changed mine to 5. This was very timely post.
Old 01-02-17, 01:47 PM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the video. Just changed mine to 7 clicks on my new 2016 Lexus GS350 F Sport I picked up a couple of hours ago from Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys, CA.
Old 01-02-17, 02:05 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

I used the Carista App/Hardware to lower the blinker volume. I also used it to set the trunk button to one push without a delay.

Last edited by 06ls430KTC; 01-02-17 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-17, 03:05 PM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chemchemgm
just went in for my 5k service. I requested my blinker to be changed from 3 clicks to 5 clicks. The answer from the dealership was that this option was not available on the 2016 gs 350 f sport.

Are they lying to me?
I just got my 2017 Lexus RX350 FSport which I'm told is very much like the 2016 and I brought it in and got them to change my blinker from the famous 3 blinks to the 5 and they did it in probably less than 10 minutes. I like it much better.
Old 01-03-17, 09:15 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gflexus
It's shocking what these Dealers don't know. I don't have any issue with the number of blinks, but my new '16 F Sport has a significantly quieter blinker sound than my prior '15 GS....so quiet that you can't hear it if the radio is on even very low. I went by the Dealer and asked their Shop Foreman if they could increase the volume of the blinker sound and they said no. I later looked in the Owners Manual and it clearly shows the volume level is adjustable, but only at the Dealer. This is not the only mis-information I've gotten from service personnel at this and other Lexus Dealers in the past. The more your know about your car, the more you realize these people just say anything and are often wrong.
The blinker volume can be adjusted using the Carista app. I changed mine to max volume since I don't want to be that guy who forgets to turn off the blinker while driving down the road.

Quick Reply: Blinker