GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

AWD advantages in a non-snow area

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 07:51 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD advantages in a non-snow area

I am 67 and about to trade my 2008 gs350 for a new one with my main goal of getting every safety option Lexus offers. Everything else is secondary.

I live near Dallas. We rarely get snow. It will get below freezing so some bridges will freeze and sometimes we have ice storms. Also we sometimes have extremely heavy rains in the summer.

Would I benefit from getting AWD? I do not care at all that I lose a little speed and a little MPG.
Old 01-22-14, 07:58 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It'll be a PITA to get one, since Dallas is not in the port that receives AWD vehicles. Your dealer will have to trade with a northern dealer and will likely charge you the transport fee (like $1,000). How often do you get ice down that way? I know you had an awful ice storm in early December, but that isn't typical, correct? Seems like overkill.
Old 01-22-14, 08:03 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If everything else is secondary, go with the AWD. The RWD GS 350's do feel just a tad bight lighter and more agile, but only somebody that is very performance oriented would really care. I'd get the AWD just for the heavy rain you get there. But as stated above, you will have to get your dealer to trade with somebody in the central or northern area.
Old 01-22-14, 08:17 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
If everything else is secondary, go with the AWD. The RWD GS 350's do feel just a tad bight lighter and more agile, but only somebody that is very performance oriented would really care. I'd get the AWD just for the heavy rain you get there. But as stated above, you will have to get your dealer to trade with somebody in the central or northern area.
In the configuration I want I have already been told it is a special order and will take 90 days min, which I am fine with.

In other Lexus forums they talk about sluggish handling of AWD at speeds under 40, which I drive a lot at. Any thoughts anyone?
Old 01-22-14, 09:04 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by steverhode
In the configuration I want I have already been told it is a special order and will take 90 days min, which I am fine with.

In other Lexus forums they talk about sluggish handling of AWD at speeds under 40, which I drive a lot at. Any thoughts anyone?
At under 40 MPH how much handling do you need? (granted I don't know what the roads are like where you live)
If you don't mind the wait for a special order then I don't see why not to wait to get what you want... What config. do you want? I think there is a small advantage between the AWD F Sport and RWD F Sport with the RWD having larger brakes and the option of the Rear steer
Old 01-22-14, 09:32 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by puckhead85
At under 40 MPH how much handling do you need? (granted I don't know what the roads are like where you live)
If you don't mind the wait for a special order then I don't see why not to wait to get what you want... What config. do you want? I think there is a small advantage between the AWD F Sport and RWD F Sport with the RWD having larger brakes and the option of the Rear steer
I have ever had AWD. I don't know if I want. I am hoping some you will give me guidance.

Last edited by steverhode; 01-22-14 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-22-14, 11:05 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

I have ever had AWD. I don't know if I want. I am hoping some you will give me guidance.
For me, AWD was a no brainer since I live in NY, but I don't rely on it. If it's snowing really bad like it was, I'm not going out plain and simple. I don't think, O I have AWD so i'm going to go out... My previous car was a FWD ES and I had no problems in the snow both in NY and when I was living in MA. But then again, I play it safe, if it's bad out i'm staying in... Netflix, CL, booze, food is all I need.
It terms of the performance, I don't think it will be too much different if your getting the premium/lux package. The only different in the F sport is if you were inclined to get the Rear Steer or whatever it's called on the F sport version.
What version are you looking to get? (premium, Lux, F Sport?
Old 01-22-14, 11:24 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You can't get rear steer on the AWD version, so if you wan that on an F-Sport, you have to stick with RWD.

I would go RWD if I were you. /0.02
Old 01-22-14, 11:35 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always felt the AWD's handle significantly better than the RWD. The RWD GS is in fact lighter and quicker since there is not other axle to power but with the awd, there is not a turn that I don't feel confident in taking in my AWD. There is nothing like having grip and power on all 4 wheels in rain sleet and snow.

For the OP though, is it worth the extra money if there is now snow? you really have to ask your self if you ever have any conditions that will warrant it other than snow. Around me, they let AWD cars on the beaches you can drive up on so that may be a plus. Other than that if your normally driving to work or to the grocery store and back, I would pass on the AWD and save the money as there wont be any benefit to it at all. Plus AWD has a low resale rate in the southern states so it would actually be worth less down in TX
Old 01-22-14, 11:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I personally would not get the AWD version if you're not in a snowy climate.
Old 01-22-14, 12:40 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd get the AWD IMHO. I drove them both and felt that the AWD did better in powering out of a corner and exhibited less over steer when pressed hard. I am not too far behind you in years and still enjoy "nailing" it every once in a while. Additionally, it was as surefooted as a snow hare running from a mountain lion in yesterday's storm we had here in the mid-Atlantic states and further north.
Old 01-22-14, 06:30 PM
TXChapa
Driver School Candidate

I live in Houston and have AWD, my car came from Seattle. You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-22-14, 06:33 PM
TXChapa
Driver School Candidate

I am 67 and about to trade my 2008 gs350 for a new one with my main goal of getting every safety option Lexus offers. Everything else is secondary. I live near Dallas. We rarely get snow. It will get below freezing so some bridges will freeze and sometimes we have ice storms. Also we sometimes have extremely heavy rains in the summer. Would I benefit from getting AWD? I do not care at all that I lose a little speed and a little MPG.
I live in Houston and have AWD. My car came from Seattle. The handling is great, you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-22-14, 07:48 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

As others have said I would def get RWD not AWD the benefits are great where I live for AWD so had to as I can say it does great in snow. If you don't get the snow I get I would pass on the AWD I would love to have RWD and as jtrue28 said rear steer as well.

Last edited by bigblack06; 01-23-14 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-22-14, 08:56 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the AWD. You already justified it: you want every safety feature Lexus offers, and sportiness is secondary. I suspect the handling will be very close and the difference unnoticeable by 95% of buyers (and most buyers aren’t CL members.) Also, don’t forget that it snows/ices much more in nearby Oklahoma and the Panhandle, and it rains much more in East Texas and beyond—places that many North Texans often visit. Get AWD and don't look back.