GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Winter So Messy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 06:22 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Winter So Messy!

So I really got to test the car in some snow as I had no choice but to drive it from work in the snow. I will have to say with this kind of snow it really isn't bad actually did pretty good in the snow. Not really a whole lot of wheel spin or slippage, the car had pretty good handling would be better with winter tires but the AWD on the GS is def no joke its up to par with BMW and Mercedes. My only issue I had was my bumper was low so I started to plow the road more than drive it.
Winter So Messy!-photo-2.jpg

Winter So Messy!-photo-1.jpg
Old 12-17-13, 07:26 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't look like fun
How many inches did you guys get up in Boston? It must have been bad as I saw my Alma mater closed
Old 12-17-13, 07:49 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by puckhead85
Doesn't look like fun
How many inches did you guys get up in Boston? It must have been bad as I saw my Alma mater closed
Only 8" but snow plows were not out there in time so roads were a mess.
Old 12-18-13, 04:42 AM
Igor911
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car is also lowered....
Old 12-18-13, 06:49 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
So I really got to test the car in some snow as I had no choice but to drive it from work in the snow. I will have to say with this kind of snow it really isn't bad actually did pretty good in the snow. Not really a whole lot of wheel spin or slippage, the car had pretty good handling would be better with winter tires but the AWD on the GS is def no joke its up to par with BMW and Mercedes. My only issue I had was my bumper was low so I started to plow the road more than drive it.
Attachment 308546

Attachment 308547
i am not going to miss that snow.
Old 12-18-13, 08:38 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i am not going to miss that snow.
Yeah I see your in GA nice and sunny your car must love it there.
Old 12-18-13, 10:14 AM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya the roads were a mess, I ended up spending 3 hours on 95 trying to get home. I do have to agree with you, I was also impressed with the AWD system. I'm coming from a Subaru STI with winter wheels last year and was interested to see what the difference would be like. Next year though I'm planning on putting some winter tires on my stock wheels.
Old 12-18-13, 11:30 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reason I didn't want an F-Sport bumper or lowering of my car. Any of my cars. Snow plowing with your car. Wow, that sucks. It's probably hard to clear dead raccoons and other road kill with that F-Sport bumper and lowered chassis. Where I live there are lots of dead critters on the roads. Country roads.
Old 12-18-13, 12:30 PM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I was also in this mess yesterday, 495 west of Boston. The AWD system performed great. I just ran it in ECO mode since I never do.
Old 12-18-13, 01:32 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with global warming I get to experience snowy conditions most years. Last year just after picking up the car we drove to Montreal and then Mont Tremblant in the Laurentians. The night we arrived ,was hit with the biggest one day snowfall since 1971! The car was fine and negotiated Mount Royal which is smack dab in the middle of the city. The Laurentians were snowy, 3 or 4 feet of snow, but the car was fine on the plowed autoroute and side roads.

If there is one complaint I have about the car in heavy snow is the design of the area where the windshield slips under the front hood. This area seems to collect snow quickly and can eventually reduces visibility as the wiper rise The area also collect leaves in the fall.
Old 12-18-13, 06:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by zicogold
If there is one complaint I have about the car in heavy snow is the design of the area where the windshield slips under the front hood. This area seems to collect snow quickly and can eventually reduces visibility as the wiper rise
Have you tried using the heating element in this area of the windshield?
Old 12-18-13, 06:50 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by zicogold
If there is one complaint I have about the car in heavy snow is the design of the area where the windshield slips under the front hood. This area seems to collect snow quickly and can eventually reduces visibility as the wiper rise The area also collect leaves in the fall.
Yep I agree I had the same issue even in snow mode it collected a whole lot of snow.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Have you tried using the heating element in this area of the windshield?
What heating element, the windshield defroster.

Originally Posted by homeboyv
Ya the roads were a mess, I ended up spending 3 hours on 95 trying to get home. I do have to agree with you, I was also impressed with the AWD system. I'm coming from a Subaru STI with winter wheels last year and was interested to see what the difference would be like. Next year though I'm planning on putting some winter tires on my stock wheels.
Yeah I plan on doing the same thing was looking for winter tires now but I'll wait tell these run down, as I already have rims to put on for spring.
Old 12-18-13, 06:56 PM
dagwag77
Driver

There is a windshield wiper deicer which is in addition to the defroster blower - its part of the cold weather package:

Winter So Messy!-jvwxla4.png
Old 12-18-13, 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Comes in the cold weather package, itl has heating elements that run through the bottom area of the windshield where the wipers sit.

I've attached the page from the manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DeIcer.pdf (80.2 KB, 213 views)
Old 12-18-13, 07:06 PM
jam33
Driver School Candidate

I needed my deicer the other night, but didn't know how to turn it on. It turns on through the climate controls on the Nav screen.

My question is why are the heating elements below the wipers when they're in snow mode?

While driving in the snow the other night my wipers were frozen and not clearing the windshield very well.

Quick Reply: Winter So Messy!